Ponch's Correspondence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ponch's Correspondence

In this book Ponch says to Urruah, " Auhw heei u'uuw Iau'hwu rrrhh'uiu". All I understood from that (after referencing from The Book of Night With Moon) that in Ailurin, Auhw may mean the Hearth, also known as Timeheart for us more hominid based. Does anyone have any insight to what the rest of this means?
    If in a dewdrop there is a world of struggle, what happens when our dewdrop falls?
    Some people are like slinkies, pretty much useless, but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down the stairs.

I can guess the second question, probaly.
    When our dewdrop falls, the world of struggle falls. By taking what was currently happening in the book, our world almost fell to the hands of dark matter and directly to the Lone Power. I guess you can say that the dewdrop almost fell but didn't.
    "This is our shame-
    this is the whole Ocean's glory:
    this is the Song of the Twelve." (DW 316)

Comment

That's my signature, not a question... But thankyou anyway for that idea...
      If in a dewdrop there is a world of struggle, what happens when our dewdrop falls?
      Some people are like slinkies, pretty much useless, but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down the stairs.

Comment

When our dewdrop falls, the world of struggle falls. By taking what was currently happening in the book, our world almost fell to the hands of dark matter and directly to the Lone Power. I guess you can say that the dewdrop almost fell but didn't.
        Maddy: 'Almost fell, but didn't'? Awesome! I like that description! It's so...random!
        Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Um I'm in the midst of reading The Book of Night With Moon, so when I finish, hopefully I'll know the answer. I don't even know if I remember that part of the book. It's been awhile since I've read that. Hmmm...

Sorry I'm no help either.
          Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
          Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
          It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
          Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

I'm too lazy to go look anything up, but I seem to recall that Iau is Ailurin for "the One". So, I'm guessing that Ponch is rolling out some ceremonial wizardly form of address.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Your best bet is to look at http://www.the-big-meow.com/Ailurin-Glossary but even then you're going to be guessing half the words.

Auhw heei u'uuw Iau'hwu rrrhh'uiu

Auhu - Timeheart
              Iau - The One

"May the One go with you 'til we meet in Timeheart" perhaps?

It's probably not entirely helped by Ponch speaking Ailurin with a doggy accent.
              -- Rick.

Comment

Ailurin is Ailurin, and obviously it was clear enough to throw Urruah for a loop.. I think it was a message of some kind.

Comment

Ailurin is a language spoken by cats, but even cats have accents, and Ponch is a dog. His vocal apparatus simply isn't going to be up to the job of speaking Ailurin flawlessly. There's a certain amount in (I think) Book of Night With Moon about the rivalries between cats and dogs, from which it's clear cats and dogs can communicate, and understand each others' languages, but usually on fairly basic levels. Inter-species Wizardly communication would usually be conducted in Speech. I suspect Urruah is thrown for a loop as much because Ponch speaks Ailurin at all, accented or not...

Later books in the series may, of course, change these perceptions.
                  -- Rick.

Comment

In the book, I think Ponch is just greeting Urruah, and trying to be polite by using Urruah's native language.
                    "May the One go with you 'til we meet in Timeheart" perhaps?
                    I have to agree with Lazy Leopard, because it sounds right and the words kinda match up. It almost sounds like this saying I've heard in songs and other things. "...and may the Lord hold you in the palm of his hand until we meet again." Something like that, because they both basically mean stay safe until the next time I see you. They show respect and...what's the word?...affection. (Not exactly the word I was looking for, but close enough.)
                    Not much help, but my thoughts on the matter.
                    ~We're the kinda friends that kill each other for a handful of Doritos and in the end we don't say sorry we say Haha! Too bad!!~. Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Comment

The way it's worded though, and Urruah's reaction to it almost makes it seem like a message, plus Ponch saying it's part of a correspondence course seems to sort of back up that impression, but *shrugs* whatever...

Comment

Yeah, the glossary on the back of The Book of Night With Moon doesn't really help me out either. I only got the Iau (The One) and Auhw (Timeheart) too. But I do think that what Lazy Leopard said is right. It's probably that standard greeting that most wizards use with each other.
                        Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                        Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                        It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                        Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

Probably so... kudo's to Lazy Leopard and thanks... I'm a very literal person, and usually want to know the little back stories, so this one had been bugging me...

Comment

Working...
                          X