Loose Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose Ends

Something's been nagging me as I reread A Wizard's Dilemma in the past few days.

Nita came back with Pont, Pralaya, Mmemyn, and Dazel to the playroom right? She also met up with Kkirl and Meme for Kkirl's intervention.

What bugs me is that Nita has never had a correspondence with her new alien friends... is this how wizardry works? I thought friendship was important.

Also, when Pralaya was destroyed by the Lone Power, how did Nita explain the circumstances of his death to Pont, or much less Pralaya's mate and children???

Is anyone else disturbed by this lack of empathy?
    My life has dilapidated into a pile of detritus.
    My goal is like a speeding train that never will alight us
    Confusion in the atmosphere, PV=nRT.
    A suicidal fridge must be stocked with iced tea.
    The orangutan; he laughs at me trapped inside the ca

Something's been nagging me as I reread A Wizard's Dilemma in the past few days.

Nita came back with Pont, Pralaya, Mmemyn, and Dazel to the playroom right? She also met up with Kkirl and Meme for Kkirl's intervention.

What bugs me is that Nita has never had a correspondence with her new alien friends... is this how wizardry works? I thought friendship was important.

Also, when Pralaya was destroyed by the Lone Power, how did Nita explain the circumstances of his death to Pont, or much less Pralaya's mate and children???

Is anyone else disturbed by this lack of empathy?

Comment

For the most part, I think, Pralaya was her only true friend, at least worth mentioning. She might've left a message or something somehow for the others, or just let them find out. And remember, some species aren't severely bothered by dying.

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh. I have been called a hundred names and will be called a
      thousand more before the world goes dim and cold. I am hero.

Comment

I suspect Pralaya will have "died on errantry." It' a risk all wizards have- so it's not entirely unexpected, and while I was suprised at the matter-of-factness of his death (he is properly dead, right?) and Nita's apparent lack of "empathy"- she wasn't callous about it. She just had more importsan thing to do.
        T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
        Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
        Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
        Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
        My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
        Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

The Lone Power said that his society accepted death and the manual or however they get their spells would saw what Birdhead said "died on errantry"

I LOVE White Tigers and Wolves!I read to much and have been waiting more than 5 monthes to read A Wizard Alone.Pirates of the Caribbean is an AWESOME movie!Harry Potter Books are REALLY Good ask me any question about it I think I would know the answer.People say I have an accent when I leave Wisconsin do you think I do*gets various hurtful spells ready inside mind* WELL DO YOU!
          I have difficulties with Gravity.

Comment

I'm not sure whether I'd say empathy or the lack thereof seemed like the right word. I'm not even entirely sure whether "friend" is quite the right description for the relationship; "colleague" does sound a bit distant considering how far Pralaya went out of his way to help, but on the other hand, I think lending a hand or other suitable appendage where available and needed is part of being colleagues in wizardry -- and at a guess, while you might make and keep friends that way, unless there's a particular reason (really hitting it off would qualify, so would similar problems to solve...), it might not be that unusual to dive into a situation (however risky) alongside someone else and then not get in touch with them again except by chance or need.

Still, going back to the empathy issue -- Nita's attitude toward Pralaya for quite a while was disturbing. Understandable given that it's the first time she's had to deal with a wizard, supposedly still working for Life, who is nevertheless even subconsciously in a relationship with the Lone Power that lets It speak and work through him -- but still sometimes disturbing as well as disturbed. And she was horrified when the Lone One killed him -- though it's true, as Birdhead said, that she just didn't have very much time to deal with it.

Comment

It is sad that there was no formalities about Pralaya's death...

*raises a fist*

Here's to Pralaya's memory!

(and to the hope that Pont will return.)

Beware the Choice! Beware refusing it!

Comment

Working...
              X