Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To me... (this was the saddest book yet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To me... (this was the saddest book yet)

This was the saddest book yet! I was like crying at the end. Poor Nita!

"No, I will NOT move your planet! What do you want to move it for? It's fine where it is!"

Yeah, I was crying to, but I was crying because I didn't think that Diane Duane would write any more books in that series and I was sad 'cause I didn't have anything to read... Lol. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-Shanillyric

Comment

Well, as a cold, callous, unfeeling, insensitive male, I wasn't exactly crying, but yeah... definately a sad book, even the slightly hopeful ending couldn't stop that. It wasn't only the cancer that made it so sad, however, it was also the way Kit and Nita stopped being able to talk to each other, the way Nita was looking to be more accepted at school (and not really succeeding), and the helplessness that I felt while reading it and not being able to stop things. A bit like watching Fawlty Towers and seeing exactly how Basil's going to end up in a mess this time!

Comment

Sure it was a sad book, but it wasn't just sad, it was darn accurate. I was 12 when my dad had a stroke, and Diane's description of Nita's feelings about her mom's illness really hit home with me. I had to wonder how she got it so right when I could barely remember all the details myself. She does a wonderful job of getting into the head of somebody pretty much exactly Nita's age: not an easy feat for most authors.
        There's something real, honest, and open about a lot of Diane Duane's writing, I think that's why I'm drawn to it. I just got the new book in the mail and really can't wait to start. But then again, I wonder what part of my psyche she's going to manage to get into this time around.
        These books really have increased in complexity and issues as the series progresses. I wonder how I'd deal with that as a parent passing these books onto my kids (admittedly, that won't happen for 15 or so years in the future, but still.... I do work at a university and we discuss these things). The first few books are entirely appropriate for younger children, but as time goes on I just don't know that the themes would be as appreciated by a younger audience. Anybody else have any thoughts on that?
        Of course, I really dislike it when people say that teenagers and twenty somethings don't understand life and haven't faced any sort of adversity, so maybe age doesn't really matter at all....

Comment

http://www.geocities.com/booknightmoon

Comment

This is the first book I've cried over since I first read "Test of the Twins" (Dragonlance) about four years ago, so yeah, I'd say it's fairly sad. :P It was Nita's mom's bravery in facing her own inevitable death that was the final straw for me, I think. It was no longer a case of just "Nita's mom" dying, now I was seeing the end of a woman who was a wonderful and vibrant character in her own right.

And just to continue Rhiow-chan's hijack, I actually preferred the "Secret of NIMH" film to the book. Mostly, I think, because I cared more about Mrs. B/Frisby's immediate problem than the history of the rats.

-Tabby
            the princess with claws

Comment

While I didn't cry over the book, exactly, I did cry over a memorable part.

Remember when Nita, talking to her mom on (I think) the night before the surgery realizes that, no matter what Nita does, her mother is going to die?

I cried over that bit. When I was in eighth grade, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. AWD is my favorite book in the series because it deals so well with Nita's emotions with her mother's cancer. I can remember feeling exactly the same way.

Luckily for me, my mother survived and has been cancer-free for nearly five years.

Still, this book has been added to an ever-increasing list of books that make me cry, including The Mammoth Hunters by Jean Auel (every time Rydag dies, I sob. My brother has aeortic stynosis, a heart defect, and I hate to think of him dying); Hatter Fox(can't remember the author); Where the Red Fern Grows; Star by Star where Anakin Solo dies (what? he's my favorite SW character!); and a few more. I love books that make me cry; obviously, if the author can write that well they are excellent. And DD is really at the top of that list, for AWD.

Cheers!
              ~Manda

And vividly, the dead come back.

Comment

While I did not cry, I did find it a very touching book. One of the best

-IV-
                -IV-
                Ipha
                Dai Stihò

Comment

This seems an appropriate place to post this, although it isn't really about the books...

*takes deep breath* my school is kindergarden-12th grade. Just recently, one of the teachers in the high school part died of a brain tumor/cancer. It was really sad, and we're still feeling it and I guess we will be for a long time.

It seemed like it was exactly the same as what happened to Nita's mom. Only there was no wizard to help her....

*Ella*
                  "If you want to know about a man's character, find out what his cat thinks of him."
                  -Anonymous

I just took the SAT!! Oh yeah
                  *Ella*
                  "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                  There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                  And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                  What could mean more than this?"
                  --Bright Eyes

Comment

Ella, I'm so sorry. It's really sad, and hard when someone at a school dies; I hope that you all feel better soon; even though that statement seems callous- I wish I could think of a better way to express my sympathy.
                    As for the book and reality- it didn't make me cry. (I haven't cried over a book since I read the last book in the Elenium, by David Eddings, when Kurik dies. I almost ashamed that it's not even a good book, but I really only cry over the small and unimportant things. I haven't cried over anything important for years.) But this book, and A Wizard Alone, really reminded me of my best friend. Her grandmother, who she was extremely close to, died nearly three years ago; it hit her very hard, and even last year she told me that she still cried every day. In that, A Wizard's Dilemma, and even more so Alone, really rang true for me; the process of grieving. It's very sincere, and I loved that.
                    Ka Kite
                    Tui

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                    Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
                    Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
                    *sob* back to school....*sob*
                    My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
                    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I thought this book really hit home and was very sad!! because when I read it it was recently after my grandparents died my favorite cat ( My best friend) And a very close next door neighbor passed away (all within 6 months of eachother) it was very hard and this book said exactly what I felt and just hit the spot perfectly on the head. I was able to relate really well and when I thought that no one else understood I realized the book really helped me let go and helped me get through. so I guess what I am really trying to say Is Thank You DD!!

A person in the universe

Comment

Wow, it really doesn't seem like anything could ever capture that feeling so precisely. All of my grandparents are still living, and hopefully will be for a long time, but I don't even want to think about when they'll eventually have to go. But then, I think death makes you appreciate life more. If we didn't have death, life would not be precious. You don't realize how important or dear to you someone/something is until they're gone, do you?

*Ella*(who can now eat chocolate to her heart's content)
                        "If you want to know about a man's character, find out what his cat thinks of him."
                        -Anonymous

"All that is gold does not glitter,
                        Not all those who wander are lost,
                        The old that is strong does not wither,
                        Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
                        From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
                        A light from the shadows shall spring,
                        Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
                        The crownless again shall be king."
                        -J.R.R. Tolkien
                        My fave poem from the whole LOTR (and there are certainly enough of them!).

*Ella*
                        "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                        There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                        And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                        What could mean more than this?"
                        --Bright Eyes

Comment

BOOOOOOOHHHOOOOOOOOOO VERY SAD INDEED I WAS BAWLING BBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOO MY BROTHER THOUGHT I HAD GONE COMPLETELY NUTS so i told him that I was already nuts

Perry, the saddened you know what(and in case you don't I'm a JUPITARIAN)

Comment

Well, I finally got to read this for a second time (best Christmas present I've gotten in some time!), and it still knocks me flat. 'Course, I was in the need for some cheer after reading it so I turned on one of my other Christmas gifts: the Buffy Season 5 DVDs. And what was next on the menu? The one where Buffy's mom dies of complications from a brain tumor. *glares at TPTP* Because I wasn't planning on doing anything wacky like smiling that day.

-Tabby
                            the princess with claws

Comment

I cried a little during this book too. It was definetly sadder than the rest!!
                              When I was reading it in school I was trying hard not to cry.... (when I was reading the 2nd book I was trying hard not to laugh.)

Anyways enough about the crying.......which book is the funniest book to you! (Mine is #2)

penguins will rule the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X