Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The perytons: why do they first show up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The perytons: why do they first show up?

When Nita is in the middle of the spell to get the pen out of Fred, and she, Kit, and Fred are out on the air bridge, the perytons come after them and they are chased into the worldgate. So..
    where did they come from? The Lone One? But why? Why would he want to lure them into his universe where they could steal the Bright Book back? In his conversation with 'Mike', he asks where Fred, Nita and Kit came from. He doesn;t want them there. So WHERE DID THEY COME FROM!!!?

*Ella*
    *Ella*
    "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
    There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
    And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
    What could mean more than this?"
    --Bright Eyes

When Nita is in the middle of the spell to get the pen out of Fred, and she, Kit, and Fred are out on the air bridge, the perytons come after them and they are chased into the worldgate. So..
    where did they come from? The Lone One? But why? Why would he want to lure them into his universe where they could steal the Bright Book back? In his conversation with 'Mike', he asks where Fred, Nita and Kit came from. He doesn;t want them there. So WHERE DID THEY COME FROM!!!?

*Ella*
    *Ella*
    "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
    There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
    And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
    What could mean more than this?"
    --Bright Eyes

Comment

It's actually pretty clever. The Lone One manages to shoot himself in the foot.

In that conversation with his secretary, he notes that some wizard has come into his realm...so he sends the perytons (Garm's people, IIRC) back in time to check out who this was. By _doing_ so, he ends up being responsible for the intrusion in the first place. The textev is slightly oblique, but if you read it carefully, this interpretation is easy to see.

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit."

Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.
      "Omnia mutantur, nihil interit."

Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

It's also one of the times that Diane gets time-travel paradoxes right. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm afraid she doesn't do quite so well in _To_Visit_the_Queen_, but that scene in SYWTBAW is an excellent example of the Ouroboros Paradox.

Logic is a poor servant, but an excellent master.
        -- The Book of Forgotten Things
        Forget science fiction: other people are the ultimate aliens.

Comment

Comment

It's also known as a causality loop.

Comment

I did a search for casuality loop and ouroboros paradox, and came up with a 'conversation' on the BBC website that I think you wrote.

Caledonian's Conversation

Comment

Wow...I read that and it was amazing Caledonian. It reminds me of the book Timeline by Micheal Crichton. Pretty good book, a quick read, but not any prize winning literature or anything. I do reccomend it though. But really, that article was amazing, and pretty easy to follow too, unlike a lot of those kinds of things I've read.

~Em~

"Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." Frieda Norris
                "But victory's certain. Never think otherwise. There is loss, and there is pain, and in your home frame of reference, they're real enough, not to be devalued. But today the energy's running out of things just a little more slowly...for those who tru

Comment

Try taking a look at this one.

Comment

Your really have a knack for explaining things..I always have been interested in science...actually, in things quite similar to the couple you talked about in your two articles.They have really inspired me to read about that kind of stuff more. Anymore I might like? I really think they are great...and they are much more interesting then the *cough* things we are taught in school today. Sigh.

Anyway...I really liked both of the articles. Though the idea that everything is a little imperfect or messy kinda scares me... aren't I perfect ? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Just kidding.

Entropy...now where have I heard that before? Hmmm. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~Em~

"Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." Frieda Norris
                    "But victory's certain. Never think otherwise. There is loss, and there is pain, and in your home frame of reference, they're real enough, not to be devalued. But today the energy's running out of things just a little more slowly...for those who tru

Comment

Comment

Time travel gives me a headache.

Post tenebras spero lucem - after dark I wish for light
                        (CC) This post has been closed-captioned for the hearing-impaired.
                        -----
                        Jennifer (i am a soviet space shuttle)
                        "He's a pinball wizard, there has to be a twist; a pinball wizard's got such a supple wrist..." -- Elton John, Pinball Wizard

Comment

Thank you for clearing that up I figured something of that nature had happened but was not totally sure. The Thermodynamics article is also very interesting. Thank you.

-IV-
                          -IV-
                          Ipha
                          Dai Stihò

Comment

i have never quite understood the aspect of a paradox.
                            someone once said "if u go back in time and manage to kill off an ancestor and prevent your own birth did u ever go back in time the first place ? "

Comment

Okay, preytons are people who have been suckered in by the lone power to get rid of some pain they don't want to feel(at least thats what I got out of the book)there sad feelings anymore(for those of you who don't know what a preyton is).The lone one himself sends them by accident, basically he doudle croses himself.He's the one who forces nita and kit to jump into his dimension.

chase604@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X