Publishing story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publishing story

So I'm in this class - Book Publishing and Librarianship - and we're supposed to take a book published prior to 1987 and do a paper/presentation on its initial publication: how the author came to write the book, how it was reviewed/received, how many copies were printed and so forth. I chose SYWTBAW because I love the book and I've been looking for an excuse to reread (from the beginning! and getting in all the books that I haven't read yet.) But now I'm realizing just how fortunate I was in my choice. Diane Duane is a wonderfully generous author and much of this information is to be had freely on the Young Wizards web site. It's been a great help to me, especially the pages for the Collectors' Resources and the YW Publication History.

My professor doesn't expect us to be able to answer everything, but I have quite a lot: more than enough to write my paper at this point. One thing I am still wondering about is the editing process: whether there were any big changes to the manuscript itself when it went through Delacorte. Also why Delacorte Press was the company through which the book was published. Are there any threads you guys can suggest that would be helpful for this? I've also checked some of the chat transcripts.

No way do I want to email DD at this time, it sounds like she has more than enough on her plate. 8(
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    "Meddle not in the affairs of Orcs, for you are crunchy and we aren't fussy about condiments."

I don't have any memory of this kind of thing being discussed (but my memory is, you know, far from perfect, so.) but that sounds like such an interesting project, I hope it goes well! My only factoid about the books' printing is to note that some of the later editions have had minor details changed to update the books - Joanne's TV went from colour to widescreen, IIRC. Anyway, not really relevant to what you're looking at, so. (I did try to find the thread where this was discussed in case it had anything related, but it looks like it's long since been archived, so.)
    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Hey, Lauderdale, could you post the paper when you're done with it? It would be useful to have it all pulled together in one place.
      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Garret Fitzgerald: I surely will. 8)

Birdhead: Actually, that detail about changes to later editions is very interesting. I actually have multiple editions of the book on hand at the moment, so I'll have to go scrounging myself. Thanks!
        "Meddle not in the affairs of Orcs, for you are crunchy and we aren't fussy about condiments."

Comment

Well! I finished my paper in the wee hours of the morning and presented my findings this afternoon. I know my presentation went over well - for one thing, I took half the time of the girl who went before me, but I got all of the info covered. Waiting to get my professor's comments back before I post it. I really want to see what she says as she uses to be an editor at Houghton Mifflin and I think she will have some good insights.

(Now on to my Children's Literature paper on Bill Peet's "The Whingdingdilly"...)

Comment

Congrats on finishing your paper!! *closes eyes and crosses fingers* Hope you get a good grade... and I hope you'll still hang around from time to time! Can't wait to see your project.
            Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
            Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
            It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
            Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

http://0galenet.galegroup.com>http://dduane.livejournal.com/123930.html>http://dduane.livejournal.com/123930.html>http://www.scbwi.org/pubs/bulletin/bull_archives/sept_oct_03/remembering.htm>http://www.youngwizards.com/Diane-Duane-Bibliography-Filmography>http://www.youngwizards.com/Diane-Duane-Bibliography-Filmography>http://www.youngwizards.com/Diane-Duane-Biography>http://www.youngwizards.com/YW-Publication-History-3-Dell-Editions-David-Wiesner>.
              Last edited by Lee Enfield-Burke; October 30, 2009, 05:44:35 AM. Reason: some URLs needed fixing. Returning later to sort out bad characters

Comment

Wow that's really cool! I didn't Tom Swale was an actual person! Do you know if you got a good grade on this? I think you should because that's a really well written paper. There was so many things I didn't know about. Good job!
                Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

Comment

Wow. That seems pretty cool, and pretty hard. If I had that project, even I would have to stop being a procrastinator. I would suggest in it to make a map of Manhattan, and then do an exact copy with the different names, for dark Manhattan. You might want to put that in if you haven't submitted it yet, or haven't thought of the idea on your own.
                    "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
                    -Terry Pratchett
                    Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

I didn't know all that stuff that you included in your first paper. Wow. That was really well written. The second assignment sounds hard, but i;m sure you got an A.
                      Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

Wow. Vashmata, I like that suggestion about the two maps. I already gave this in, but yeah, that would be a COOL idea.

One thing that I did do was make promotional "Freds": basically I and a friend made a bunch of fluffy white pom-pom things. I handed them out during my sales pitch, mainly as a joke, but my sales staff (ie. my fellow classmates) liked them so much that I ended up incorporating them in my paper as bookstore freebies to promote the book.

We still had a bunch of Freds left afterward, so another friend turned them into ceiling ornaments for our hall Christmas party. Now everyone says "Hi Fred" as they pass through the building...

Comment

I gave the suggestion about maps, because whenever I read an adventure book, or a fantasy book, I like to know exactly where the characters are, but I've only seen one author use a map properly: Brian Jacques, in the Redwall series.
                          That was funny, the Fred thing. Think you can post a pic of what it looks like?
                          "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
                          -Terry Pratchett
                          Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

Ah... mapmaking. Following in DD's footsteps as a cartographer. Dunno if you guys knew this, but that map at the front of DW is DD's handiwork. And her biography does mention that she once drew a map of Zelazny's Amber...
                            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I really like the maps because they give you a sense for where the character is and the setting as well. Although I guess this has the setback of not requiring the use of your imagination very much. Sometimes I make a (rough) map of how I see the story to try to estimate the distances and where the characters are in relation to thingd, etc. Although I havn't done it for the YW books, because it would be WAY to dificult. I didn't know DD did mapmaking. And the Fred thing was pretty funny, although I doubt that it was as funny to people who had never read the YW series. Or possibly more...
                              Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

Working...
                              X