The Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Manual

To me the Manual in the Young Wizard novels is one of the most spectacular aspects. I was just wondering if people would be interested in trying to accomplish an amazing feat and create a manual online in which we could be constantly adding and changing. We could shape it as new knowledge is found and include diagrams and drawings for spells that are known. Also we could postulate, given the nature of the speech, how new spells could be formed!

Please respond I'll be checking on this often!TTYL <-- I play violin HA
    "He who made kittens put snakes in the grass."

"Even if love does not dawn,
    The sun also rises,
    The day goes on."

The Manual is amaxing, but doesn't each person see it differently? An online Manual...we could be working on it for the rest of our lives and it would never be done because it's always changing. But that's probably the point. I've tried a few spell diagrams before, heh. They didn't turn out to well.
    Metaphors be with you.

Comment

yes it would be forever changing and that is the whole point. And as for the spell diagrams practice makes perfect I still think it would be a cool project I'm going to start it ttyl

The sun also rises,
      The day goes on."

Comment

An online manual would be very very very hard to do. But it might be neat to see what we can all come up with. And all elements would be somehow linked for the speech, manual, whatever. Because all things in life are linked.

You signature! I KEEL IT!!! How does JK Rowling draw from Diane Duane? They're complete opposites; the only thing they have in common is that both feature wizards and that they have something outside of wizardry. Muggles/non-wizards. Rah rah rah!!!
        Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

That's a great idea! I will help you with it, if you need help. Do you? Shoulden't you ask DD if it's okay with her? Isn't it copyrighted material? Oh, I play Viola.
          ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
          **Neets**
          CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

yes it would be very hard but if we succeeded in making one it would be amazing.

As for the JK Rowling / DD thing I was really refering to the fact that Rowling took the idea of He who must not be named aka the lone power ( DD uses "He who must not be named" in SYWTBAW) and the wizards fight against it mostly though what peeves me off is that while I like rowlings books they have none of the finess and deeper meaning that DD's do. Also I like DD's form of magic alot more than waving a stick and what ever you want happening.

The sun also rises,
            The day goes on."

Comment

hmmm we might need permission but I'm not sure if its non profit and just a fan site I don't think that we can be liable for anything illegal.

The sun also rises,
              The day goes on."

Comment

It would depend how you pitch this online manual. I think the best way would be as a fan-site which acts as guide to all things in the YW world. Providing you wrote all the material yourself, you would be fine. You can quote bits form the books, but not excessivly so, and must of course state your sources.

However, wanting to avoiding duplication, I would urge you to check out http://www.youngwizards.com, and the "The Errantry Concordance..." (about two-thirds down)
                ...is a work in progress which, when completed, will serve as an "encyclopedia" of the Young Wizards universe up to volume 8, Wizards at War.
                "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

sounds good! Tell me if you need any help. I would be glad too. How long do you think it would be if you do try to get this done?
                  ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                  **Neets**
                  CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

Hey! Any help is welcome, and I guess its not crazy to hope that this site might be done by september or atleast the end of it. It might be a little bit of tricky coding to make a proper database for information people would upload on the site. Besides that it just depends on how much people want to participate. But by all means anyone get started on the actual content.

The sun also rises,
                    The day goes on."

Comment

The whole online manual thing sounds cool. I'd love to help, but I don't know much HTML and stuff. But seriously, how do you plan on doing it? The manual is so personalised! I'd like to help in any way I can, though.
                      "Deceit shall have its reward." - Timeline

Comment

Do you mean like a wikki-style manual? Where anyone can go in and change it?

...huh. That'd be really cool. It seems to me as though the "Errantry Concordance" would be only the encyclopedia-ish part of the manual, which is also part phonebook, part communications device, and part a lot of other stuff that semi can't pluck off the top of her head right now. So I suppose the entire manual would sort of have to be the E.C. plus the forum plus a fanlisting ("wizard's directory", nyuck nyuck nyuck) plus some sort of a fanwork posting thingummy (self-created "spells" like the one Nita did in Dilemma XD) and maybe other suchlike stuff...

Comment

Well, you don't really have to know HTML to work on it, would you? We'd only need a few people who know HTML, CSS, and whatever else we want to use. What's a webhosting we could use? I wouldn't go with whatever format they use; we could make our own that would fit a manual better. I love frames! Anyone want to search for free web hosting? I know freewebs allows stuff like that, but maybe we could find some place better.
                          Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

wow you all are getting into this awsome and ya dot tk sites are free I made a band website once. Also I have a friend amazing at comp languages that could possibly make us a good database for filing the manual!!

The sun also rises,
                            The day goes on."

Comment

I'd love to help in any way I can. (And BTW, hey Jen!)
                              ~Rachel

Comment

Working...
                              X