Starting February 1: (Social) Group Reading of SYWTBAW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting February 1: (Social) Group Reading of SYWTBAW

I've created a social group where I'll be hosting a group reading -- or re-reading -- of So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Interested members are invited to join the web-based social group here. Starting on February 1st, we'll take a look at the book as a whole, see how it's stood up to the test of time (it has now been more than 25 years since it was written...) and how it compares to other, newer urban fantasies and books involving wizardry.

Interested? Join us!
    Last edited by Lee Enfield-Burke; January 19, 2009, 06:18:34 PM.
    Lee / Forum Administrator

Sweet! I've been thinking a lot about the first book too, and I was gonna reread it after I reread WAW again. Are we going to discuss word choice and description, as well as Wizardry as a whole? I have a BUNCH of questions, but I don't want to ask too many
    Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

We'll be discussing anything the group wants to talk about over the course of the discussion -- it'll go on for the month of February. But overviews of wizardry may be a little out of the range of a single-book discussion.

Meanwhile this is just an informational thread, not something that needs to be nominated for Thread of the Week, so I'm removing the nomination (especially since I'm about to copy the thread to Forum News and make it sticky there: no point in confusing the system).

Comment

Sounds like a great idea, Lee I'm in. I've been discussing stuff with friends lately too and I think I have some fresh ideas for stuff. I'll make notes and save them up for February

Comment

I'm personally wondering about deadlines and such, and if the group is going to be kept in sync/if we're going to have obligations to get to said point by said date... Which would make sense but is a bit of a breaking point for whether I'll be joining, as I have quite a heavy load of reading for school to begin with... You said in the post above that it was going to be informal... Could we still join the thread even if we're behind? (Especially if we've read the book before and know what going to happen)

Regardless of all that it sounds like a really good idea and I kind of went "oh!" when I saw the thread... I'd really like to join...

Comment

This is an excellent idea! I'll be around.
            "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Originally posted by EricG1793 View Post
              This is an excellent idea! I'll be around.
              Sweet! One more member.

Hey Lee, are we going to talk about the entire series after we finish the first one, or is this just for the first book only?
              Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

I'm up for making it through all of them (potentially anyway; I will have a thesis to write this semester...). We don't need Lee to organise the other ones, though we can do it - what about it we go through the books, one per month? Or do people think that we'll need more time for discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by alla View Post
                  I'm up for making it through all of them (potentially anyway; I will have a thesis to write this semester...). We don't need Lee to organise the other ones, though we can do it - what about it we go through the books, one per month? Or do people think that we'll need more time for discussion?
                  Alla! You're amazing! I say maybe 1 every 2 months. There would be a lot to discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiccangixie View Post
                    Sweet! One more member.

Hey Lee, are we going to talk about the entire series after we finish the first one, or is this just for the first book only?
                    I'd assume we'd be doing them all, though obviously you guys are free to organize that yourselves (in fact I see you've started already).

Comment

Oh yeah, whoops... I guess that I should let people know that I've started up a social group for a reading of Deep Wizardry, starting on the 1/4/2009 (so, two months after the reading of SYWTBAW You can find it here.

Comment

^ You mean 4/4/2009, right?

How exactly is the group reading going to work.... We read a certain amount of pages/chapters per night/week and discuss accordingly?
                        "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

No, I mean the 1/4/2009; that way, people have three days in which to read Deep Wizardry, before moving into their WOM bubble That being said, how many people are likely to be more wanting to discuss WOM at that point (provided the publication date gets stuck to?). Are people able to read and discuss two books at once?

Comment

I'm still confused as to why we would be starting to read Deep Wizardry on 1/4/2009 (January 4th, 2009, 26 days ago from today), before we read SYWTBAW next month, in February.... On the social network area for the Deep Wizardry group reading, it says April 4th, so I have no idea what's going on.... Unless month 1 is April in Australia? I must be missing something major here. Now I'm really confused!

I'd prefer that we focus on one book at a time....
                            Last edited by EricG1793; January 30, 2009, 10:26:34 PM.

Comment

Alla is in a part of the world (I think that's most of it besides the US actually), which does day/month/year, rather than month/day/year. So while 1/4/09 to you is January 4th, 1/4/09 to her is April 1st.

That'd be all of what's going on.
                              We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

Working...
                              X