No announcement yet.

Nita's REALLY Overdue book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that the librarian is one of the powers that be and just erased the book off the database

Comment

I'm guessing that it wasn't a library book at all, but was just in the library. The librarian didn't realize this, but since it wasn't in the card catalogue, there was no problem.
      ---
      How cheerfully we consign ourselves to perdition...

Comment

It had to be a library book. It says in several of the books that Nita's book had Mrs.Lesser's handwriting on it with the library code number!! And Nita didnt have her library card with her. I think that when it became her Manuel, it just got erased from the computer database. But if Nitawas to loose her wizardsry *shudders* then it would be put back into the library's database!! that is just my theroy!!
        Dai stiho cousins
        ~~~Ezra

Comment

Just because it looks like a library book doesn't mean that it actually is one though.
          I agree with Nightvol - it was in the library, it looked like a library book, but wasn't in the library's catalogue, so it arranged for Nita not to have a card with her, so that neither Nita nor Mrs Lesser found out that oddity.
          Nita presumably knows by now, though, which is why she hasn't done anything to take the book back. (Maybe Tom and Carl told her the manuals behave like that?)

We have no idea what happens to the manuals of wizards who die or lose their wizardry.
          Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Well, we don't know where the manuels come from, either. I would assume that the ones that are, er, not in use anymore go back to wherever the ones that aren't in use yet are (as Yolande says in Sunshine, my grammar grows confused).

And whether or not Tom and Carl told her that that's how manuals act, I should think it would be pretty obvious to her (given how her manual acts, you know). Right next to "whether or not the manual was alive was a topic about which the manual itself offered no insight" or however that line goes.

Comment

I would think that the manual just put itself in the library so that Nita would come along and find it. As the Powers That Be have said themselves, time isn't linear for Them, so They would be able to put the manual where Nita would find it.

The librarian obviously knew Nita well, so she probably trusted her enough to not write down the exact book Nita was checking out, and thanks to the manual or the Powers That Be, forgot all about it.

That's just my little theory. Dai!
              Nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak! --Albus Dumbledore

I <3 Jamie Lawrence!!!!!! *squee*

Comment

The recent chat answered that question.
                Extracts:
                Peter Murray DD - What happens to a Manual when the wizard dies (or loses their wizardry)? we wondered if the library book would go back to the library.
                Diane Duane PM -- I think the "library" copy reproduces itself as necessary.
                Diane Duane Oh no...the wizard's own copy probably just vanishes.
                Peter Murray So it doesn't go back to a collective pool of unused manuals?
                Diane Duane PM -- No, probably not. You get it in the version that will be of most use to you when you start work.
                Diane Duane PM -- I don't think the energy is conserved in that particular way.
                Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

I don't think that it was really a library book. as for why it had the librarians handrighting on it, maybe it was put there by the powers that be. I mean, how many libraries do you know that purpously stock books in a language none of them can read without any of them knowing what it's about.
                  I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                  For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

YR: True, It very well could have The Powers That Be...Because unless someone had like, Requested it then it might be possible for it to have been there....
                    And also, what if the Librain, Had seen the book?. She might have looked at Nita strangely, And if she remebered that Book from when Nita checked it out, The Librain could of and would of became suspious.
                    So, i tink that the book wasnt really ever there in the first place. Nita might have had other books that she needed to return anyway but had "Forgotten" about the Manual.
                    I didnt really think about this just till I saw it on the board yesterday, And now I have myself thinking.
                    You know, DD is porbley reading this and just laughing watchiing us try to figure it out, Or she might type in what really happened.!
                    Dai All,
                    Tori --"The bad grammar person"
                    A love grape jucie and Coke!
                    Love and be loved

Comment

Yea she has a really overdue Book! Ohh do we think we should return it ?.........NOOOOO!The powers probally took the book off the compyorthe mebory .
                      Vampires are love.

Comment

I kind of wondered about it too, but I suppose having a copy of the book makes sense because when Dairine got Spot, the computer was copied. In Ireland, or places where they don't get the manual in a physical form there would be no problem with that though....

Comment

I always questioned that because they never tell us what happens with it.

Comment

Info about this

So you want to be a wizard seems like a kids story to nonwizards who read it except nitas sister who for some reason could read it the way Nita sees it as a wizard manual

Where they come from in my opinon based on reading all of the books up till now that when the powers that be choose you to be a wizard you will be given the chance to like nita and kit finding their books and diarine getting spot

The libary book wasn't exactly checked out to nita cuz she forgot her card and was given the book and the libarian forgot to put it in and the powers that be probably made it seem like the book so you want to be a wizard wasnt their in the first place since nita had read ALL of the books in the kids section except that one but it seemed to have been their a long time so the libary book was just a disguse becuase of the place nita was in like kids being desgused as a used book

thats just my opinion but this is just a small part of the books so ya

Comment

Yes, the library probably didn't notice it was gone, because she didn't check it out. But did they even notice it was there in the first place? I wonder if the checkout would have even worked, on a manual. I can just imagine something interesting happening if she ever tried returning the book to the library...
                              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Nita's REALLY Overdue book

haha her fine would probably be like $50.25. the 25 cents is for effect. to make this not a 1 liner, 1/20 people you meet are wizards. yayyy i said it!! but wouldnt they get a letter in the mail saying to return it? haha, what if, at the end of the series something really epic happened, then, abruptly, nita screamed "i forgot to return my book!". that would be priceless. also, did kit ever pay for his manual? so many questions....
                                Last edited by kit13579; June 10, 2010, 05:39:19 PM.
                                "Four for you Glenn Cocoa, you go Glenn Cocoa!" : Damian Mean Girls

Comment

Working...
                                X