Nita's REALLY Overdue book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nita's REALLY Overdue book

In the begining when Nita checks out the SYWTBAW book the librarian tells her to return it Monday. But Nita doesn't What do you think happened

L8er

Sam (Hifun55)

[This message was edited by Sam on 07 September 2003 at 16:35.]
    ~Sam (Hifun55)~
    Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
    HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
    My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

As I recall, Nita didn't have her library card with her, but the librarian allowed her to take it out "on her honor". I imagine the book either quietly removed itself from the library's database (if it had ever been there to begin with!), or the library found a "replacement" on the shelf.

"Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
    "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
    "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
    "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Yeah.. there have been a couple discussions on this topic. take a look down in the Nitpickery if you wanna read them...
      T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
      Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
      Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I've always wondered about that...

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.

Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
        I will rejoice in the moonlight;
        I will dance in the rivers of my tears;
        For I am joyously, wonderfully alive!

Make your own laws or be a slave to another man's. -William Blake

School is hell with flourescent lighting.

Comment

thanx Birdhead that helps (I'm new and haven't read many of the posts.)

L8er

Sam (Hifun55)
          ~Sam (Hifun55)~
          Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??

Comment

Sam: no problemo....
            T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
            Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
            Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

We had a topic about this a while back. Lots o' theroies, theries, theories.... Like some people thought that maybe the librarian was a wizard herself, maybe the manual made it so that the librarian would forget... My theory is that it was never on the computer in the first place, or part of the library, and so the librarian didn't know the exact book Nita got, and would have no way of making it overdue. Or maybe Nita just payed for it and said she lost it.

*Agent~M*

"Thank you Jack" "Your welcome" "No not you, we named the monkey Jack" -Pirates of the Caribbean
              Look closely at your next subway token. And speak to strangers.- SYWTBAW 20th Ed.
              *Agent~M*
              "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
              "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
              "I could live

Comment

Great theory Agent M

~Sam (Hifun55)~
                "So," Harry said, "so does that mean that... that one of us has to kill the other one... in the end?" -HP year 5
                ~Sam (Hifun55)~

Comment

thank you.

*Agent~M*

"Thank you Jack" "Your welcome" "No not you, we named the monkey Jack" -Pirates of the Caribbean
                  Look closely at your next subway token. And speak to strangers.- SYWTBAW 20th Ed.
                  *Agent~M*
                  "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                  "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                  "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                  "I could live

Comment

I've wondered about that. I'd say the library didn't have it in its database, or if it did, it went bye bye
                    I am me and I am unique.
                    Gods all bless,
                    Rhia

Proud Tamora Pierce obsessee

Comment

Yeah, I think the same thing, CelticFlame. That the book wasn't in the library catalog in the first place; and that the Maul worked a small wizardry to make the librarian forget the encounter at all. Now, about Nita - I'd think that the manual made it clear to her that it wasn't a library book and she doesn't need to return it or explain its disappearance. And regarding what someone else said earlier, that Nita just told the librarian she lost it and paid for it - I would think not - remember the whole thing about wizards creating reality with words, and lying in Speech?...
                      Dai stiho!

Comment

Yeah, I agree. But I also think The Powers That Be would probably make some... something to get Nita off the hook. Dai.

Comment

Maybe the librarian knew Nita was going to be offered the Oath. Why else would she suggest Nita hide out in the one room where the Manual would find her? Kind of a Dr. Millman-type maybe.

I am on errantry and I greet you. Dai!

I am on errantry and I greet you. Dai!

Comment

I always wondered that. I guess that either:
                            1. The book wasn't in the database.
                            Or..
                            2. It removed itself form the database and the librarian's memory
                            Or...
                            3. The librarian declared it a missing book.
                            In Life's name and for Life's sake...

Comment

I actually asked about this in chat a while back. I remember DD saying something about it being something the book could just do on its own and its part of the wizardry of the Manual. I think thats what she said....

Comment

Working...
                              X