Wizard's manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wizard's manual?

I was wondering, has anyone actually seen the Wizard's manual?
    Here's a llama, there's a llama, and another little llama, fuzzy llama, funny llama, llama llama duck!

I don't know anyone who has actually seen one, but I'll always have hope! After a few years of reading the books, I accepted that they were just books and not necessarily true, but perhaps that's because I was never meant to get a manual. I really don't know.
    From your friendly neighborhood wizard, Poliester.

Comment

Yeah, I've been wondering that too...I even went back to the library to see if they had any other books titled SYWTBAW. There were no others. Oh, well.

Comment

I have one
        its a solid color (mines blue) book that says "So You Want To Be A Wizard" in your language on the cover
        Dai!

P.S. gone libraring

Comment

Nope, never seen one. It would be cool though. I did randomly find the SYWTBAW at my library though in almost exactly the way I imagined it happening in the book, well, it didn't bite me but otherwise the same.
          I'm not afraid of what will happen, I'm not afraid of who will cry,
          I'm not afraid of what the future holds, and I'm not afraid to die

Comment

No, never. Totally wish I had though. Well, there's some hope yet. I'm not old enough to be "past latency" as I believe it is put. I do hope I will eventually...

Whoops, typo
            "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

While I am now, sadly, "past latency" I retain hope. To me, there is no series that is just books. I wish, I so so wish that I had a manual! But I will content myself with the books, and wildly await A Wizard of Mars.

I've read the oath a bunch of times...
              (I wonder if anyone here hasn't...)

dai!
              "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

Who really knows? maybe those of us who own the 1st book really just own a manual we don't know how to use...I used to have an inner fight within myself, if i had a choice would i be a wizard? i read the oath out loud and it was REALLY quiet around. sometimes i think i was imagining it. but then the coward came out of me as i thought OMG what if i really became one! that thought freaked me out. but, "you don't have to be a wizard to know one"

Comment

the manual is the books, but when it says the pages change it means they change as in you understand them.why wont anyone listen to me !!the speech is hebrew which uses parts of other words to make one word[go to errentry wiki "sylabic acronym"]and the wizardry is kabalah which hightens our awareness so thet we can hear and see feel things weve never before.our myraid worlds mean our selves spiritually,the powers that be are angels,and so on ...wait for my next post i will tell you more.
                  peice out

Comment

Well, I think its more about if Diane Duane wants to take the time to write a personalized manual for her readers. For now, I'm happy reading about the manual and wizardry within the eight books that I own so far. Can't wait for A Wizard of Mars.
                    Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmicqueen View Post
                      Well, I think its more about if Diane Duane wants to take the time to write a personalized manual for her readers.
                      Really, I think we're all happier imagining the Manual. Nothing even Diane could come up with would be good enough (unless a book of Diane's turned into the real Manual for some wizard among us, of course).
                      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

I like imagining the manual, every now an then I close my eyes and wish that it was all true before I open the books, or turn my computer or ipod on, just in case... no luck yet. I found it fun to carry around W@W when I first got it (my first YW hardcover), pretending it was the manual, though I would have been too old at the time.

I think the manual is that we take the lessons of wanting to preserve life and energy out of the stories, and try to live by its code. Maybe try talking to a rock and convince it that its not a rock every now and then, just for a change. You never know, it might answer back

Comment

I do have the Manual... as one earlier post put it, everytime we read the books, and use our imagination to put things together differently and our dreams to make things happen for ourselves, we use Our Manual. As Garrett said, I'm glad there isn't one written, as mine is always giving me the answers I need just the way it is. The series has inspired people around the world to learn something new in their world, everyday, many times a day. It helps us know there is nothing we can't do if we put our will behind it.
                          There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
                          "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

Originally posted by alla View Post
                            You never know, it might answer back
                            What, you mean they don't do that already? xD

I think a version of the Manual could be feasible though- not a Wizard's Manual, or a marketable one at any rate, but just through the vast compendium of knowledge we've already amassed. And besides, rocks can tell a pretty detailed story, even if they might not be able to understand you trying to speak in the Speech or tell you the meaning of life.
                            -Tell me and I may remember; show me and I'll understand; involve me and I'll never forget. Thank you, PM. Your light lives on.

Comment

Originally posted by A Traveller with Magic View Post
                              And besides, rocks can tell a pretty detailed story, even if they might not be able to understand you trying to speak in the Speech or tell you the meaning of life.
                              I know that rocks can tell a detailed story Sometimes they don't like talking though (or their story is too complex to understand, or parts are missing, or they've been brainwashed by a story different to their original one).

Comment

Working...
                              X