why did you pick up the first book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why did you pick up the first book?

what did you think when you first picked up the book?
    ----
    ok i know this is asked alot but i still have to ask. when you picked up the first book for 'so you want to be a wizard' what did you to expect it to be about. (this is before you looked at the summary on the back of the book.)////////extra
    i know when i picked it up a good friend of mine who is an avid (or was an avid) reader told me it was a good book. she read it a while befor me and tried hard not to spoile it for me but did a good job not oing that. well when i looked at the cover (which for the one i read it had Nina and Kit on the front cover walking on clouds. for some it was differnt. i think ) i thought that it was going to be a peaceful book about how people became a wizard or somthing. but boy when i read the first few pages i was so wrong its not even funny. oh well i guess that shows you you cannt judge a book by its cover. (lol)

also i want to add an extra thing. what do you think the game would be like as a video game?

[edited to clean up the thread title and lead. Full lead has been moved into the post. --kli.]
    its a long long walk to the end of the earth... but let me tell you if im walking to you then i'll walk farther than you would have dreamed possible.

When I picked up the first book... um... well... I can't remember it was such a long time ago. But, when I suggested it to one of my friends and I said the title was "So you want to be a Wizard" she thought that I was crazy and refused to read it. She didn't exactly refuse but even though she loves Harry Potter she thought the book really meant "Sooooo, you want to be a wizard, huh. Well this is how you do it." We all know that isn't what it is and I gave her a summary but she is still skeptical. Well, it's her loss not mine.
    Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
    Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

wow i cannt belive she doubted the all power full "so you want to be a wizard" book how crule (i know i just butched that word sorry) i guess we cannt all be fans. no matter how much you want to be.
      its a long long walk to the end of the earth... but let me tell you if im walking to you then i'll walk farther than you would have dreamed possible.

Comment

i remember picking it up and being "hmmm, interesting name." then after i looked at the back i was like "i'm getting this." and then i grabbed the 2nd and 3rd books and bought all three at once. i'm soooo happy i did!
        "Dear Artificer, I've blown my quanta and gone to the Good Place!" -Fred
        "Bombs are good. I love bombs." -Iggy from Maximum Ride

Comment

I"m not entirely certain i remember...I might have just expected it to be a fantasy book, or i think i might have actually had that "What the-" reaction that nita had when she a manuel for being a wizard...*shrugs* it's been a while since i FIRST read it...though i had just as much of a shock seeing the book the second time as nita had seeing her manuel, considering how i'd always wanted to see the book again and read book to onward...(there was couple year period inbetween reading first book, and finding it again)
          I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

ok i also have to ask this. with the knowledge of the first book in your mind. was reading the other books as entertaining or less then the first? was the other books what you expected or better?

Comment

*shrugs* the other books held no surpises for me whatsoever...in fact, the only thing that ever surpised me, was the lack of surpises, which sometimes through me off, since i had grown so used to books FULL of suprises...though it was all right in the end, since constantly expecting surpises threw me off much more then any surpise ever could. *Grins* I think i tried reading the second book before REreading the first book, and i had to reread the first book, cause i couldn't seem to remember anything...*Shrugs*
              I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
              For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

I really loved Deep Wizardry. That one was my favorite. High Wizardry was boring to me. I was more into Nita and Kit than Dairine. I do have to admit the other books were definently better and they keep getting better. I just hope DD doesn't plan to end the series anytime soon. What about you wizy123, what did you think?
                Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
                Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

the books were so much better after the first they held some suprises but lacked some as well but hey what it lacked in some ways. it made up in others right? but still it is a good serires to read and reread because you cn never really lose any pleaser in it.i just hope that the next book will be even better than the others already are. dont you?

Comment

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">I saw the cover of "Deep Wizardry", and loved it (heh), so I picked up up and found out it was the 2nd book of a series.

So I picked up the first one~!!! XD</span>

Comment

I picked it up because I was a avid HP fan back then, and I had (and still have) a insatiable curiosity for the unknown. Plus I had Nita's reaction of "What the- Wow!" And so I read it, and went looking for DW, then HW, then finally found the URL for this website on the back of one of them, I think it was AWD or AWAl. And here I am.
                      "Accomplishing the impossible means only the boss will add it to your regular duties." - Anonymous
                      Nita, Kit, pay attention to that one!

Comment

I picked it up because my aunt told me it was good. When I first saw the the I said 'this looks really lame' but when I read it was good.
                        My favorite YW book would have to be 'A Wizards Holday' I don't know why but it's my favorite( I've read almost 15 times).

Comment

Dude, you haven't been around in ages. Hi. :]

I don't know if I posted here recently or what, but I don't want to make a pathetic one liner just to say hi.

I saw the book, and it was like "This looks like a 3 years old book." And I didn't touch for another 2 years, my sister had it for a book report in 3rd grade. So, then, I picked it up, found it wasn't as loser-ish and kid-ish as I thought. Things end up weird in the end sometimes. . .
                          Love and be loved

Comment

My grandmother got it for my brother. It was in Barnes and Noble, under a sign that said " Like Harry Potter? Try These!" And then I took it from him and got completely hooked on it. I think I was in 6th grade at the time.
                            Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
                            Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic
                            Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
                            Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Comment

When I first looked at the cover, I thought, what are those freaky bear-wolves? [grin] But since it had Diane Duane's name on the cover, I was going to buy it anyway. I now regret deeply that I no longer have the jacket with the freaky bear-wolves on it, because it turns out it was an early David Wiesner illustration. But I was much more careless of my books back then.

I pretty much went into SYWTBAW without any expectations from the cover art (other than magic adventure was bound to happen), and only a few from having read Diane Duane's Star Trek and Middle Kingdoms books and stories up until that point. I did know that this was a kids' book, but I didn't let it stop me, even though I was 15.

And I loved the injoke of who the author of the Manual was. I don't think I got it until my third read through that you could turn around s'Hearn to be Hearnssen.
                              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X