Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does one of the featured LJ icons mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank you gigo...*has been trying to reach this point ever since i first saw the giant branch between member, and senior member* and thanks also for telling me what the icons are.
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

You know, YR, if you'd bothered to read my post, you wouldn't have had to ask that. And maybe now that you've reached senior member status, you could put a little more umm content into your posts. You know, set a good example for people who have been around for less time than you and all that jazz.

That being said, it is an achievement, so congrats on getting there.

Comment

thanks alla...and sorry for not reading through the entire topic. (i AM trying to put content in, and for most of the topics i seem to be succeeding considering how often everyone is telling me how interesting my posts are....but occasionally i DO mess up, or make too short a post...*blames it on my rush to finish before i run out of time on a library computer*
        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Originally posted by alla:
          You know, YR, if you'd bothered to read my post, you wouldn't have had to ask that. And maybe now that you've reached senior member status, you could put a little more umm content into your posts. You know, set a good example for people who have been around for less time than you and all that jazz.

That being said, it is an achievement, so congrats on getting there.
          "If you'd bothered to read my post..." *Mutters* Sometimes people miss other people's posts, or somebody explains in such a way that doesn't register with other people, so don't make such a big deal out of it. A suggestion: maybe say "I'm not sure if you noticed my other post, but..." "you could put a little more umm content..." That sounds quite snobby. And besides, everyone has posts here and there that don't consist of much; sometimes there simply isn't much to be discussed, and this topic has been solved already, so what more would there be to talk about?

And yes, I congratulate young reader for reaching the Senior level too. You've had much experience, more experience here than many of us, and I hope that you continue to shine and stay around for more great discussion! Good luck with life as a Senior.

Edit: Ooh! This is my 100th post! It's too bad, though, that I had to use my 100th post to scold someone in defense to someone else.... Anyway, 100 posts isn't enough to get past the regular member status, I know, but at another forum I'm at makes the senior level 100 posts... which I know is REALLY small, and for that matter thin it should be 500 for senior, but it's a fact....
          "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Eric... I really don't know how to put this. First of all, I would like to say to any mods that decide my tone is, inappropriate, I apologise to you (as in I apologise to the mods, to make myself perfectly clear). This frustration has been building up for a while, and, sadly I cannot find it in myself to bury this annoyance any longer. I know I'm speaking on behalf of a couple of people here, but I'm not going to name them, because if this post gets me into trouble, I'm happy to take the consequences. I can't hold the frustration in any longer.

Eric: Get. Over. Your. Self. You are not the be all and end all of the universe. My post was for YR. Not for you to jump in and say 'oh that wasn't right'. I have quite a few problems with your attitude, and the bits and pieces that you say that you _think_ other people want to read. And I am now going to do what you did to my post - pick it to pieces and point out the bits that I don't like.

Sometimes people miss other people's posts, or somebody explains in such a way that doesn't register with other people, so don't make such a big deal out of it
            Granted, yes, sometimes people do miss other people's posts. BUT THIS TOPIC IS LESS THAN ONE PAGE LONG! THAT MEANS THAT ITS LESS THAN 20 POSTS! It doesn't take that much to read back over it.

And besides, everyone has posts here and there that don't consist of much; sometimes there simply isn't much to be discussed, and this topic has been solved already, so what more would there be to talk about?
            Would you understand the logic if I said, if the topic has been solved, is there any real point to discussing it any further. Before you arrived at this forum - heck, before I arrived here, we had a philosophy that short, pointless, oneliner or low content posts sped up entropy - they aid the lone power. Yes, its a fandom thing, but we are after all a bunch of fans.
            Most of us do have a couple of useless/low content posts floating around in our karma count. A couple. I admit to having a couple of low content posts in the 570 that I have made in the three years that I have been here. And most of my friends on the forums would agree with me. This leads me onto my next point.

You've had much experience, more experience here than many of us
            AND
            Edit: Ooh! This is my 100th post! It's too bad, though, that I had to use my 100th post to scold someone in defense to someone else.... Anyway, 100 posts isn't enough to get past the regular member status, I know, but at another forum I'm at makes the senior level 100 posts... which I know is REALLY small, and for that matter thin it should be 500 for senior, but it's a fact....
            Let us look at stats for a second, especially in response to the former of those two quotes. YR joined a year and a half after I did (ish - a year and four months if you want to start getting nit-picky). So I find it rather insulting, that you say things like that. Yes, it says many of us. But there are many people around who have been around for longer than YR. Most of us don't post as much because we don't have that much to say in relation to the discussions that you guys are having. When we do have things to say, we post them. Sure, My other posts in this thread are rather short. I know. I also know that they give succinct information to the people who were asking the questions. I worried that they were too short, but they give answers to questions that people have asked within the thread.

You compare everything to the 'other forums that you're at', which gets really annoying. Yes, other forums have lower levels. Other forums are different. But to me, and I'm sure to a couple of others, because I've had this conversation with them over MSN/AIM/Skype, this forum is a good kind of different. It is unlike any other forum that I have been a member of. And I like it that way.

The reason senior is so high, is that it proves the staying power of the person. It marks that they have been around for long enough to make that many posts. I've been here for nearly three years, and taken part in many discussions _about the YW books_ and the themes contained therein, and I haven't reached 600 karma points yet. Its not all about the number of posts/amount of karma that you have, it is about the content of those said posts.

I know that fighting and arguments increase entropy, and I apologise to the Powers for this, but sometimes, some things just need to be said.

Alla

Comment

Alla, I'm not going to pick your post to pieces in turn, tempting as it is. I agree with Eric that you came across as entropy-aiding in the original post.

As far as "I speak for several people here", let me refer you to Jo Walton's take on the subject.
              "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

I believe that putting "bits and pieces" is less confusing; you stick a quote, make it one sentence, maybe more, and then make a section about that to talk about that one sentence, and put another quote, talk about that.... Instead of putting one massive quote and jumping back and forth about what the original post was saying....

Now that that's overwith....

Eric: Get. Over. Your. Self. You are not the be all and end all of the universe. My post was for YR. Not for you to jump in and say 'oh that wasn't right'. I have quite a few problems with your attitude, and the bits and pieces that you say that you _think_ other people want to read. And I am now going to do what you did to my post - pick it to pieces and point out the bits that I don't like.
                I'm not trying to be "all and end all of the universe". And of course the post was for YR. And I believe that as a fellow member of YR it's my duty that if someone's bullying him, or anyone else, that I should stick up for him/them, and not sit back and let the person get picked on. You can have as many problems with my attitude as you want; and I'll have as many as I want with yours. And go ahead and do that- that's the most efficient way, as I said before.

Would you understand the logic if I said, if the topic has been solved, is there any real point to discussing it any further. Before you arrived at this forum - heck, before I arrived here, we had a philosophy that short, pointless, oneliner or low content posts sped up entropy - they aid the lone power.
                Yes, the topic has been solved- so why did you continue to post?

And when I first came here, yes, I did many one-liners. I got frustrated at people for constantly pointing this out.... I kept them and didn't change them. But within the last few weeks I deleted them all. Or the majority of them, anyway. And if I really don't have anything to say, I tell it not to include my signature, to compensate for the small amount of content. Just search for all posts by me and you'll see that the vast majority are ten lines at least, not to mention a few posts that are bigger than my computer screen (such as this one), that are mostly in "Philosophical topics/speeches" and "The world is changing... bad changes or good?" which went down when I didn't have Internet access for three days.... I created both those threads, and they've led to many of the longest posts that some people have made, including myself.

Let us look at stats for a second, especially in response to the former of those two quotes. YR joined a year and a half after I did (ish - a year and four months if you want to start getting nit-picky). So I find it rather insulting, that you say things like that.
                However my philosophy with people's experience is that the post counts mean a lot for their experience. YR has posted almost twice as much as you have, therefore has put much more thought in to posting, has his voice heard more, and simply has a greater quantity of posts. You find it insulting that I give praise to YR for being around longer than many of us? Well now let's count how many members have arrived here since YR arrived.... I'm estimating 800 or so, and that's enough to count as "many", hmm? So if you'd like me to rephrase: young reader, You have much more posting experience here than many of us, which includes myself.

You compare everything to the 'other forums that you're at', which gets really annoying. Yes, other forums have lower levels. Other forums are different. But to me, and I'm sure to a couple of others, because I've had this conversation with them over MSN/AIM/Skype, this forum is a good kind of different. It is unlike any other forum that I have been a member of. And I like it that way.
                Not necessarily. Although in that one instance, yes, I was comparing, as comparing is "Youngwizards is anti-one-liner while there are one-liners everywhere at ffdownloads.com", or "Youngwizards has no limit to when you can edit messages while at Webdeveloper.com you can't edit after 30 minutes".... That's comparison. Usually I state facts about other forums I'm at.

And I send my deepest apologies to the Powers as well.... It's unfortunate that sometimes there are people who go around provoking other people....
                "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

eric, i thank you for sticking up for me....i'd like to say that i did not find alla's post that insulting though (sometimes i do mess up in posts, or go too quickly...as shown when i few minutes ago i accidently edited this post to say something i meant to say in another topic...and i've also known alla for a while so i just accepted the post for what it meant) still, i do thank you for trying to stick up for me...*would rather this not become a giant argument that gets everyone banned though* topics here sometimes get over heated, and i'd rather not have been the one to have created the spark that starts it all... (particularly since enjoy responding to your posts around the forum, eric, and i'd like it if you were still around to post with.)

Comment

Working...
                  X