Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could be given the oath, would you be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could be given the oath, would you be?

Yes
    8.33%
    No
    8.33%
    Mabye so....
    25.00%
    I took it, but I'm still waiting for anything to happen...
    58.33%
    PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
    Follow the bouncing poot

I don't think that the Oath would be administered to me.

I do fit some of the qualifications: I have a hard time sleeping if I don't read, and I absolutely LOVE words.

But I also have a tendency to stretch the truth rather frequently to suit my own needs. And I've gotten pretty good at it, and at working the system to suit me. And I'm sorta wasteful. I don't always turn off the light in a room, and I'll come back a few hours later and be like, aw, man. Or I'll leave the TV on or the comp on and wander off and do summat else. Now while I chalk a bit of that up to my ADHD and extreme forgetfulness, it still really isn't a desireable quality in a wizard.

So as much as I would really, really like to be offered the oath, it wouldn't be, even if it could. Which really, really stinks.

(Now come on, people! Let's get some meaningful disctussion up here in the books section!)

vv
    PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
    Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

I'm a bookworm and good with language, but I don't have the courage and stamina to be a wizard.

Comment

If I was offered the Oath...I'd say yes. I don't remember what the qualifications were, but I remember reading the book and being like, that's me all the way. Not wasteful of energy, total bookworm (I would stay up all night if it meant finishing a good book.) I also have a really hard time lying. I mean, really, really hard time. You can tell if I'm lying. I'm also really good with words, and am picking up Spanish pretty easily (didn't it say somewhere that wizards were good with languages?) So, yeah. Personally, I think I would have been given the Oath...and I would have accepted it.

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

Um...no, I don't think I 'd be offered the oath as much as I'd love to be. I do love to read and I'm pretty good in my Spanish class too, but with all of the things that wizards have to go through I don't think I could be a wizard. I love helping people and I don't really lie often (I try to avoid it if I can) but being a wizard looks like being put in a lot of dangerous situations and I crumble under preasure. *sigh*

My book is being loaned to my friend right now too so I can't go over all the criteria, but I know I didn't match a lot of it. (though didn't it say you didn't have to?) If I wasn't so awful under preasure than I might make a pretty good wizard. *grin* So to make a long story short even though it's already long, I don't think I'd be offered the oath but If I was than it means I'm capable right? So I'd accept.
          ---
          Oh! Just as a side note, it was character day at my camp today so my friend and I went as wizards. Not wizards from the books. Just ourselves as wizards. We both brought little charm bracelets and brought our copies of SYWTBAW to be our manuals. My friend also brought this really tiny toy computer to be like the computer manual like Dairine has and a car antennae. I brought a wooden wand but I couldn't get a Rowan wand. It was fun, but no one knew what we were. Oh well, it's their loss, right? Right.

[edited to consolidate double-post. --kli.]
          ~--BQT--~

"Simple mind, simple pleasures..."

"I'm lost somewhere in the depths of my imagination. I've been here for about 15 years and still can't get out..."

Comment

I would not be, and I would not want to be. Much as I enjoy reading stories like that, I'm content to stay how and where I am. I could blather on about it, but the point would be that I'm not the type of person who would be offered the oath, though I have some of the most basic attributes such as love of reading (which I would assume most if not all of us here have

Anna

Comment

I like reading, I am good with words and language. I can stand danger with ease and don't crack under pressure... I match alot of the criteria...but... I'm not wizardly type. A few important flaws. I have a hard time believing in anything, I can lie very easily and well, and often I just don't care either way.

I would definately except if I was somehow offered, but like I said, they wouldn't bother offering me the Oath unless the world was dying and there was no one else.

Comment

This is a very complicated subject in my case (those of you who have talked to me at length know what I mean), so I won't be going into a rant. I'll just say that in YW terms, I prolly wouldn't be offered the Oath for several reasons, mainly b/c I don't match a lot of the criteria. Also, I'm too old But if I got the chance to be a Wizard, I would totally jump at it!

BTW Brenna, about the dress-up thing, that's AWESOME! Do you have any pics of that day?
                ~Rachel

Comment

I do match a lot of the criteria, and I'm pretty sure I could stand to do most of the things a wizard does. I try not to lie that oftem, even before I heard of YW. I think it's more satisfying to tell the truth in a way so it works the same as a lie would- except you're telling the truth, so no one can accuse you of doing anything wrong. I'm also big on conserving energy, even though it's hard when everyone else in my family doesn't really put much of an effort into it. I also love playing with words, but I'm better at telling stories than writing things like this post .
                  I might be able to survive the Ordeal, since it is tailored to what the Powers think you can handle, and is a problem only you can solve, but when you throw in the Lone Power things can get tricky...
                  I'm still waiting for something to happen.
                  -Tell me and I may remember; show me and I'll understand; involve me and I'll never forget. Thank you, PM. Your light lives on.

Comment

Well, barring the fact that I am way too old, I think I might be given the oath. I love to work with words, and I also try to tell the truth. I think that that's partly because I read these books, and partly because I've realized that the truth can be more powerful and much more simple than lying. Also, you gain people's trust by being honest.

Anyway...random philosophy over--

I think if I really knew that what I did mattered, I would do anything for that, even some of the scary stuff. At least, I like to think that.

Spectra (sometimes known as Trout, and very new here)

Comment

For Rad: Nope. Sorry. I didn't have a camera to take pictures. There wasn't really much to the dressing up thing. It was just that we had brought our little props with us. If I could get my hands on a camera then I'd take pictures...wait a second! I just got a camera yesterday! *smacks forhead* I can take pictures of the props my friend and I brought and put it up somewhere. It was cute. But I'm like, technology impaired so it'll take some time. Sorry. lol!
                      ~--BQT--~

"Simple mind, simple pleasures..."

"I'm lost somewhere in the depths of my imagination. I've been here for about 15 years and still can't get out..."

Comment

It might be given to me. I fit some of the qualities. I love reading (my book shelf is overflowing with books). I have an interest in words (my desk is stuffed with scratch paper I've written ideas on). I try to be conservative (I've started a habit of shuting the lights off when I leave a room).
                        Other than that I just don't fit any other qualities. But I am confident it will happen!... someday. *turns around and crosses out day 1,241 of waiting*

Comment

It might be given to me. I love words! I love listenning to people talk, reading, writing, anything to do with words. And although I may not be the bravest person in the world I can pull through in a pinch. Also, all my life I have had a wandering spirit so I think it would be amazing to see all those places that Nita and Kit have been. I mean, they wouldn't be that great during the battles with the LP but maybe afterward they just sitback and think, 'Wow, that place was really amazing.' I hate lying and although my family doesn't always believe what I say, I don't think I've told a really big lie since I was a little kid. I've always wanted to help people so that would be an amazing part of wizardry. But to answet the question, yes I think I'm qualified. I think there is some part in most of us here on the forums that think they're qualified. Isn't that what makes the books fun? We can see ourselves doing those things. We can sympathise with the characters to some extent. Maybe there's a little wizard in all of us.
                          -----------------
                          I wrestled the angels for more than a name.
                          Loyal page to Squire Garth.
                          My fantasy RP

Comment

I'm good with languages, I love to read books with a mix of english and french or english and spanish. I like to try to figure out what people are saying, usually I'm about right. And I'd have decent spanish right now if my teacher weren't so boring... I don't pay any attention in Spanish class. I can't fall asleep without reading or writing something... But I'm caught with the whole lying thing.... I tend to lie a lot to my mother... Like when she asks me what I've been doing, where I've been... etc, I can't tell her that kind of stuff. "I've been on the roof mom" "I've been chatting with people on the internet mom" when you love to write lying typically comes easy... *cringes*
                            *Agent~M*
                            "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                            "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                            "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                            "I could live

Comment

*raises eyebrows at Fay*

M, I totally know what you mean about the lying thing. I have to admit that I lie to my mom and Kelly a lot, mainly b/c, like you, I can't really tell them what I've been up to. I have let them in on some things, like mostly who I talk to on the phone, b/c they kind of have to know b/c it's something I do in front of them a lot. They don't know a whole lot of what I do online, but my mom suspects I'm up to something.

And on a sidenote, I am re-reading YW and the preliminary aptitude thingie says "Please bear in mind that it isn't necessary to possess all the qualities listed, or even most of them. Some of the greatest Wizards have been lacking in the qualities possessed by almost all others and still achieved startling competence levels..." So based on this I might have been able to squeak by, but like I mentioned before, I'm too old...
                              ~Rachel

Comment

Working...
                              X