Just an observation, on the characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just an observation, on the characters

Has anyone else noticed that the wizards Dairine sees in the Crossings are similar to the ones that are boarding at her house?
    The centepeed stationmaster p.208 , the tree that lost it's eyes (berries) p.124

In peace, there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness, and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood...now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide, hold hard the breath, and bend up every spirit to its full height!
    William Shakespeare

Has anyone else noticed that the wizards Dairine sees in the Crossings are similar to the ones that are boarding at her house?
    The centepeed stationmaster p.208 , the tree that lost it's eyes (berries) p.124

In peace, there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness, and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood...now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide, hold hard the breath, and bend up every spirit to its full height!
    William Shakespeare

Comment

Ya...sort of...but she never sees the Rirath--that's Kit and Nita...

Hillary Wan Kenobi
      The first-ever Jedi Ewok

Loyal reader of Harry Potter and Young Wizards books
      A physics geek
      And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and engineering feminista...

Comment

I was looking at that section again the other day, and something occurs to me -- not only were the tree-person and the Rirhait there (even if Dairine didn't meet the latter), but as you probably remembered without looking, Dairine did run into another hominid as well -- someone who looked as human as she does. Or, for that matter, Roshaun.

He was "telepathically sensitive (as so many hominids are)." Wonder if Roshaun is?

Comment

PK: If you're referring to red-head, I think that _was_ another human. I think. It's apparently a reference to something, but I've forgotten what to.
          T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
          Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
          Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
          Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
          My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
          Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I'm... not sure about red-head. This was "a fair-haired young man with quick bright eyes." The book does say he's human (and later refers to him as "just one more of the billions of hominids moving about the worlds"); on the other hand, it's pointed out elsewhere that most species call themselves something that comes out to 'human' or 'people,' and it does say he's telepathic... Then again, wizardry seems to result in telepathic sensitivity in earth-humans, so....

Now I'm curious what it's a reference to. Oh well.

Comment

Fair haired, red-head, same difference.
              Kidding. Yeah, I think that's who I meant...
              And I THINK the reference was Dr Who, but I'm not sure about that. that may have neem AMOTHER conversation (I get confused.) But I think Quill knows... Quill? Where are you?
              *mutters* *Comes back ten minutes later* Yep, it's Dr Who. it started to bug me. (In the end I just walked all the way backwards through Quill's posts till I found one that looked right...*shrug*)
              T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

[This message was edited by Birdhead on 24 August 2003 at 20:40.]

Comment

Sorry, out for the weekend. Yes, that one is a nifty little cameo by the fifth Doctor, played by Peter Davison. In which case, he is Gallifreyan, not human (unless you count the latest film). But without checking his pulse it would be hard to tell.

Murmurings

Comment

*blinks* Well, cool. Thank you both.

Comment

*blinks along with PK* Sorry, that flood of Dr Who information scared me for a moment... but thanks, Quill.
                    T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

Oh, hey, that was just a trickle. I'll spare you the flood.

You're welcome!

Murmurings

Comment

Working...
                      X