What are BEMs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are BEMs?

Hi everybody. I'm new to the forum and to the YW series. I'm currently reading High Wizardry and something has really been bugging me: What the heck does BEM stand for?
    Maybe I'm completely dumb and should know already, or maybe I'm just being impatient and it's revealed at the end. Or maybe no one knows. lol
    Also, are they some sort of "dark wizard"? The computer calls them emissaries when Dairine asks - a title, if I'm not mistaken, generally reserved for wizards. So confued I am!
    Haha, thanks in advance.

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
    - Emma Goldman

Hi everybody. I'm new to the forum and to the YW series. I'm currently reading High Wizardry and something has really been bugging me: What the heck does BEM stand for?
    Maybe I'm completely dumb and should know already, or maybe I'm just being impatient and it's revealed at the end. Or maybe no one knows. lol
    Also, are they some sort of "dark wizard"? The computer calls them emissaries when Dairine asks - a title, if I'm not mistaken, generally reserved for wizards. So confued I am!
    Haha, thanks in advance.

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
    - Emma Goldman

Comment

BEM = Bug Eyed Monster. Standard jargon for any unidentified non-hominid alien. In this instance, non-human wizard.
      "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
      "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Comment

As for the emissaries thing, this was something I thought about when I read this passage but always forgot to follow through on. So, I've gotten up and gotten the dictionary. *Ahem* An emissary is one who is sent on a mission. Though DD uses it to refer to wizards, the general word could also mean the BEMs were sent on a mission by the Lone Power.

On the other hand, they could indeed be wizards. Maybe DD has something planned for them?? I doubt it though. I'd go for them being sent on a mission by the LP.

Yours till the kitchen sinks,
          Rowen Avalon
          mysites/ravensiggys/constitutionality

~Post Disclaimer~
          "I know that you think you
          understood what I said, but I
          don't think you understand
          that what I said is not
          exactally what I meant."
          He he! So true

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
          Rowen Avalon

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
          "IB helps you with stress management. It throws all this stress at you and says, 'Manage it!' Then you have your b

Comment

Thanks So much. You guys are awesome. That would have driven me insane.
            Anyway, on a lighter note, I absolutle love the ending of this book. I hate to say it, but I'm actually starting to like Dairine . . .

"There is no great genius without some touch of madness."
            - Seneca

Comment

Dairine is the bratty younger sibling I never had... I sometimes wonder if I was like her at that sort of age. When that happens, I go and look at my old school reports...
              "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

*snickers* Yeah, it took me until my third re-readign (with fine toothcomb. It was starting to, uh, bug me... pun not particularly intended) to get that... I think it was becasue she doesn't really do the whole "Bug Eyed monster. OOh, that has a BEM acronym" thing (because it would be painfully clumsy!) Acronyms tend to be a bit more obvious... plus there's a page turn on the copy I was reading from.
                T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
                Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
                Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
                My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
                Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
                Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

lol, took me a while to get it too.

-IV-
                  -IV-
                  Ipha
                  Dai Stihò

Comment

Same, I didn't notice until one of the rereads: but the first time I read HW I actually didn't read it. I listened to it on tape. That's how I got introduced to the series. However, I didn't get it on the second reread, when I actually read it. Took me a while.

*Ella*
                    Hakuna Matata, people!
                    Whoopee! It's almost summer! (This is the part when I remember that I have to move this summer.)
                    *Ella*
                    "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                    There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                    And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                    What could mean more than this?"
                    --Bright Eyes

Comment

Originally posted by rhywun:
                      Anyway, on a lighter note, I absolutle love the ending of this book. I hate to say it, but I'm actually starting to like Dairine . . .
                      As of 1986, so did Diane: she told the convention group I was in that Dairine was her favorite.

Of course, this was 17 years ago, so take that with a grain of... oh my god i'm getting old....
                      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Take that with a grain of... oh my god I'm getting old? er, if you say so...

And yeah, you may be. I wasn't born 17 years ago... on the other hand, I could just be young.
                        T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

Hmmm. I never knew that BEM stood for Bug Eyed Monster. Well I guess ya learn something new everyday. And I think that Dairene is my bookself only a little bit younger, seriouly, same hair color and she acts like me too. and she loves computers, or so it seems.

Evil will always lose.- Miep Gies
                          *Agent~M*
                          "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                          "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                          "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                          "I could live

Comment

Ahah, I was RIGHT, you ARE a redhead. Curious as to what I'm talking about? It's from a post in Chatter. I guessed right, awesome.
                            T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

Yep. Red head I am. the only good thing about it is that it's origianal and the same as Dairienes!

Evil will always lose.- Miep Gies
                              *Agent~M*
                              "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                              "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                              "I could live

Comment

Working...
                              X