i just thought of this, it links from this book to w@w "possible spoiler"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i just thought of this, it links from this book to w@w "possible spoiler"

near the end of high wizardry dairine is able to make the universe stop expanding. the olbers paradox thing.

why couldn't she and the mobiles do it again in W@W i mean the mobiles have unlimited power and dairine got a major power boost from the peridexis.

why couldn't they have done the same thing? i would think with tons more mobiles plus the peridexis effect it'd be succssful.
    ---------------------------------------
    YW Chat room link. http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ Type in nickname and #youngwizards for channel.
    "in remembrance of Peter Murray,5/16/06,dai stiho

Chances are, the simple reason for this is, quit esimply....no boddy thought about it. either that, or DD considered it, then decided it would kind of ruin the book...my general experiance says it's most likely one of those two things...could be wrong, of course, bust still.
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

You also have to consider that Dairine's power levels had dropped since her Ordeal. That might be another reason why they didn't do that. But I do agree with young reader, those are possibilities too.
      "Dear Artificer, I've blown my quanta and gone to the Good Place!" -Fred
      "Bombs are good. I love bombs." -Iggy from Maximum Ride

Comment

Dairine's power levels had fallen, yes, but if you think about it, the combined power levels of the mobiles has increased if I understand it correctly. Every single one of the mobiles is a wizard, and as such, there is an _awesome_ amount of power that could be drawn on (as the mobiles make more of themselves between HW and W@W.

Comment

yeah, but there's a fairly big level of distance between dairine and the mobiles! i mean, that's QUITE useful when she's there./...but how much of that power can she draw on from earth? our some OTHER planet even farther away? i would NOT recomend attacking dairine on the motherboard, (i think that's what they called the planet, right? sorry if i'm mistaken!) but if they attack dairine when she's somewhere far enough away...will they be able to be of much assistance, unless they somehow know what's going on and interfere?
          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Plus it was Nita who had the peridexis, not Dairine
            "In the contemporary world where things fall apart and the center will not hold, you have to imagine a community where there is no center." - John Green

Comment

I believe that the reason that the universe stopped expanding in HW was not the mobile's spell, as they decided not to do it after all, but rather the Champion taking LP to Timeheart, where of course there would be no expansion. So, the mobiles never actually were able to stop the universe's expanding, and stopping the universe's expansion wouldn't stop the Pullulus; it would just stop time. I think. Now I'm confused!
              "...For my own part, I known my job; my commission comes from Those Who Are. My paw raised is Their paw on the neck of the Serpent, now and always..." - The (Kitty) Catechism
              Define the universe and give 3 examples.

Comment

no, it most likely wouldn't...no fear of darkness. if anything, it would HELP it because it would have less to consume! and i doubt it would stop time...it has nothing to DO with time! unless we MADE it have something to do with time...but unless we start measuring time by the expansion of the universe...*starts thinking up a dimension where they do this before stopping myself* *grins*

Comment

I believe that the reason that the universe stopped expanding in HW was not the mobile's spell, as they decided not to do it after all, but rather the Champion taking LP to Timeheart, where of course there would be no expansion.
                  But they never actually stopped the Universe expanding or entropy, and the Champion did take the LP to Timeheart - which did change something about the nature of the universe.

My answer to the original question, FWIW, is that it's a different situation - the mobiles stopped entropy, which had the coincidental effect of stopping redshift, when the Universe was "normal" (um, I want to use a different term here, but...) But in W@W there was the problem of the dark matter - which was new or newish and was growing in a different way - IMO it was a different proposition altogether.
                  Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

If the universe stopped expanding, then alot of what the plot surrounds is gone! The books would have to take a new problem on, but it has already gone deeply into that crisis.
                    In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by young reader:
                      Chances are, the simple reason for this is, quit esimply....no boddy thought about it. either that, or DD considered it, then decided it would kind of ruin the book...my general experiance says it's most likely one of those two things...could be wrong, of course, bust still.
                      I think it was probably one of those two things too. It would no doubt ruin the book. And Dairine's power levels had dropped too since her ordeal. It probably wouldn't have been very wise for her to do so on her current power level. Not to long ago in "The Wizard's Dilemma" she couldn't use her power to help her mom because of her current power level drop. She didn't currently have a enough control over it.
                      Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
                      Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

Originally posted by mythbusterfan View Post
                        near the end of high wizardry dairine is able to make the universe stop expanding. the olbers paradox thing.

why couldn't she and the mobiles do it again in W@W i mean the mobiles have unlimited power and dairine got a major power boost from the peridexis.

why couldn't they have done the same thing? i would think with tons more mobiles plus the peridexis effect it'd be succssful.
                        I have a feeling that what she did in High Wizardry was meant to be a once in a lifetime thing. Maybe DD was thinking that Dairine was never going to be able to do anything like that again, so she didn't put it in Dairine's mind to even bother trying.

Comment

I think that like alot of people said Dairine's power levels being dropped thing but what i don't understand is that she created the mobiles and they have limitless power she could have just used them...
                          It is better to die on your feat then to live a life on your knees-Emiliano Zapata.
                          That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.-dad

Comment

I think the whole unlimited power thing of the mobiles seems to go against almost all the rules of wizardry. Maby DD just didnt think about that when she wrote HW

Comment

Originally posted by Red-5 View Post
                              I think the whole unlimited power thing of the mobiles seems to go against almost all the rules of wizardry. Maby DD just didnt think about that when she wrote HW
                              I don't think she missed it: that's why she put the mobiles so far away from any other wizards. They have incredible power, but there's not much out there happening to use it on. I think that's why they turned inwards, becoming visionaries, instead of acting on the universe around them.
                              "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Working...
                              X