No announcement yet.

Symbolism of the computer logo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still waiting for Apple to give me a free Mac as a "thank-you", though.
    Well, Diane, if Apple won't send you a free Mac, I'll be happy to send you one of the many older models we have stored in the closet - it might not be as powerful as you'd like, and I think I'd let you "offer" to pay the shipping, but it would be free!

Squash (who's finally running OS X, and able to read the discussion forum again! - and who also has one of the original iMac hockey puck mice hanging on her Christmas tree)

Comment

Originally posted by Caledonian:
      Perhaps it would useful to find out why the Apple computers were associated with that symbol in the first place. While you may be reading too much into the image, Diane probably wouldn't have avoided a modification of the RL logo that also had a secondary, symbolic significance.

To be wise, learn foolishness. To be strong, learn weakness. To know joy, learn sorrow.
      I ran a link on ask.com and found an article that covers Apple's history of the apple, and it would appear that the Biblical symbolism from the lead post is indeed one of the themes that was intended to go with the logo. I quote from the article:

Steve Jobs in April 1977 asked Rob Janoff, art director of the advertising company Regis McKenna Advertising, to design a new logo...Bill Kelley also working for Regis McKenna Advertising...says that "the bite was symbolic of acquired knowledge (as a biblical reference to eating of the apple of the tree of knowledge)."

I am on errantry and I greet you.

Dai!
      I am on errantry and I greet you. Dai!

Comment

Originally posted by Diane Duane:
        I'm still waiting for Apple to give me a free Mac as a "thank-you", though.

lol, maybe they'll send you one of the new e-macs with Panther or Jaguar........

Yep OSX is the newest software but you need at least 10.3 to get the newer software and 10.1.1 (I think O.o) to use some of the the software....

Comment

I've been reading through old topics and I guess I'm posting in an effort to revive them from their decomposing state. So here's my post.

Avi:
          a LIFE TIME supply of Coke! I mean just think about it how much Coke do you think the characters drink? I mean almost whenever Nita or Kit goto Carls and Toms house what do they get the drink water?, Orange Juice?, Toxic waste?....NO! Coke!
          Except, unfortunately, they're now thinking about passing laws that will make that illegal. Big corporations are trying to get rid of people mentioning their names in novels. Of course, what that does to books like this where the entire plot revolves around a huge company like Coke, is uncertain. *sigh* Corporate personhood... where will it end? Here's a good article about this, written by the author of a book like this. Scary, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Avi:
            Toxic waste?....NO! Coke!

.....OK That was interesting.....

Webmaster of Marauders Magic.com (Harry Potter site)
            Webmaster of Schoolz Out.com
            Although, some people would ponder the difference between toxic waste and coke. I'm sure each is just as good for you as the other .

Comment

Yeah. I heard somewhere (not sure if it's true or not) that they have to transport the concentrate for Coke in hazardous materials containers. Sounds kind of too weird to be true, but it would be very funny if it was.

Comment

The difference between toxic waste and coke, is effectively... not much.

Of course, I drink coke more than toxic waste, not by much but i do...

Now, being a complete and utter atheist here, what story are you referring to? All I know about most religions are the names, and a few of the basic sorties-literally nothing more than you're taught in school. I know more about the [effectively] ancient religions of Mesopotamia and Egypt more than Christianity.
                “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
                -Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                X