Symbolism of the computer logo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symbolism of the computer logo

The Apple logo, but without a bite taken out of it. The Biblical Fall, humanity's Choice. Eating of the fruit. Unbitten apple = a choice not taken, a Fall completely avoided. Why am I just recognizing the symbolism now?

-Tabby
    the princess with claws

Hmmmm.... mmmmaybe you're reading too far into it. It is interesting, though. Perhaps... voicing an ideal? The universe without entropy would have a lot more apples without bites in them.

--Dai Stihó

Bishie
    'Mancer
    Foam Poet
    "It was a bad line and a prank call, someone spouting insane babble; I couldn't make sense of it. But I had an overwhelmeing sense of deja vu, and the caller's voice sounded oddly familiar."

Comment

*blinks* Reading too far into it? I'd say that one might not be an immediate connection for everyone to make if they're reading through quickly to find out what happens next, but honestly... it seems to me like too clear a reference once you do spot it to be "reading too much in." At least for anyone familiar with the stories and motifs involving, as either Nita or Kit remarks during S'reeee's explanation in DW, "snakes and apples." *grins* Of course, Nita herself thinks that the Lone Power's serpent-form in that book is the truth behind all the stories of a snake lurking at the bottom of the world or sea (I can't remember the phrasing, sorry), so I admit I do tend to assume that if something looks like it might be an allusion it probably is. I'm sure there are ones I'm not familiar with the background for and don't get, too, of course.

Comment

That occured to me... at some point. Actually, I think someone here mentioned it, way back. But I'd say that the allusion is pretty definite, yeah.

As to why you didn't get it... well, I wouldn't be the best person to ask, because I suspect it took me a while to click too.

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
        --Agent M
        Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Originally posted by Tabby:
          The Apple logo, but without a bite taken out of it. The Biblical Fall, humanity's Choice. Eating of the fruit. Unbitten apple = a choice not taken, a Fall completely avoided.
          Or a reference to a pre-Fall state. Otherwise, yup, exactly what I had in mind.

I'm still waiting for Apple to give me a free Mac as a "thank-you", though.

-- DD

[This message was edited by Diane Duane on 03 December 2003 at 5:07.]
          -- DD

Comment

It's because you made it run DOS, not NeXT.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Diane Duane:
              Or a reference to a pre-Fall state. Otherwise, yup, exactly what I had in mind.
              Really, I so did not catch on to that. Wow....
              I am me and I am unique.
              Gods all bless,
              Rhia

Proud Tamora Pierce obsessee

Comment

Yeah isn't DOS for windows? (MS-DOS) Isn't Mac like something os?

Webmaster of Marauders Magic.com (Harry Potter site)
                Webmaster of Schoolz Out.com

Comment

Just a side comment:

It was so weird when I read the computer bits in the book, because I used a computer like that when I was about 3 and it brought back all these weird flashes of my childhood. Whatever programming system it was, it was cool!

A Jedi Ewok
                  And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and Lady of the Latkes...
                  A physics geek
                  And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and engineering feminista...

Comment

*does the dance of "I love being right!"*

-Tabby
                    the princess with claws

Comment

DD one other company should be giving you something....

a LIFE TIME supply of Coke! I mean just think about it how much Coke do you think the characters drink? I mean almost whenever Nita or Kit goto Carls and Toms house what do they get the drink water?, Orenge Juice?, Toxic waste?....NO! Coke!

.....OK That was interesting.....

Comment

Perhaps it would useful to find out why the Apple computers were associated with that symbol in the first place. While you may be reading too much into the image, Diane probably wouldn't have avoided a modification of the RL logo that also had a secondary, symbolic significance.

To be wise, learn foolishness. To be strong, learn weakness. To know joy, learn sorrow.
                        Logic is a poor servant, but an excellent master.
                        Forget science fiction: other people are the ultimate aliens.

Comment

And, of course, I just now realize that Diane had already confirmed the hypothesis...

[sigh] All right, bring on the wet noodles and cucumbers.

To be wise, learn foolishness. To be strong, learn weakness. To know joy, learn sorrow.
                          Logic is a poor servant, but an excellent master.
                          Forget science fiction: other people are the ultimate aliens.

Comment

Isn't Mac like something os?
                            Uhh... 'OS' stand for Operating System. ALL computers are something OS. Incidentally, one week till Christmas! Huzzah!

Comment

Csn't do noodles, sorry. I've got tomatoes, though, if you'd prefer? or some nice healthy eggs?

Christmas! Huzzah!

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
                              --Agent M
                              Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
                              Still the Typo Queen
                              Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Working...
                              X