huh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• huh?

ok at the end of "high wizardary" the lone power goes off and becomes good and goes back to timeheart. butttt in "a wizard abroad" and "a wizards delemma" nita fights forms of the lone power. this makes no sense. can anyone please explain this?

Dai Stiho,
    Dan
    Dai Stiho,
    Dan

It's the same problem you see in "So you Want..." and DW. Being outside of time, various aspects of the Lone Power can be free _and_ bound at the same time (frex, if, as a lava serpent, the Lone Power is stuch beneath the sea, what's he doing several galaxies away?)

As the Lone Power itself says, "My Shadows are still abroad in the World."

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit."

Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.
    "Omnia mutantur, nihil interit."

Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Possible spoilers ahead....

Originally posted by danman3322:
      ok at the end of "high wizardary" the lone power goes off and becomes good and goes back to timeheart. butttt in "a wizard abroad" and "a wizards delemma" nita fights forms of the lone power. this makes no sense. can anyone please explain this?
      I actually took a shot at this in another thread. High Wizardry took place in our world. Balor is in an alternate universe, and in Dilemma, the only place we see the LP is in the playroom or inside the universe which is Nita's mom. In BoNwM, we only see him in the primordial universe, and in TVtQ, that also applies.

If we ever again see the LP acting directly in our "native" universe, I'll be very surprised.
      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

In the end of HW, the LP says to Nita, Kit and Dairine, something like, 'My shadows are still abroad in the worlds. Stop them. Stop me.'
        And they reply, 'We will. Always.'
        (Not a direct quote, I don't have my copy at the moment.)
        The manual also says that what happens one place, spreads, and so it takes time to spread everywhere.
        Until then, wizards have to keep fighting life's daily battles, don't they?

Ella [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

EWizard11
        *Ella*
        "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
        There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
        And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
        What could mean more than this?"
        --Bright Eyes

Comment

TIme isn't directly linear for the Powers.>. I guess all Nita, Kit and Dari (and Peach *sob*) stopped him from doing was having it so that they'd CONSTANTLY have to fight the Lone Power. If the Lone Power was around for long enough, he could send enough of his shadows so that every day a new battle would have to be fought. Now, at least, our heroes can have a little respite between each battle...

Hannah [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

http://timeheart.fateback.com

'Felis Catus is your taxonomic nomenclature. An endothermic qaudroped, carniverous by nature.'
          'Felis Catus is your taxonomic nomenclature. An endothermic qaudroped, carniverous by nature.'

Comment

I never Understood that either i just thought I read it wrong and i didn't feel like re reading that part because that book was BORING. thanks for telling me what really happened!
            Dai Stiho! Marniebrown1 aka Nita292

Live Life to the fullest
            *Agent~M*
            "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
            "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
            "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
            "I could live

Comment

Dai Stiho,

Ok, i think i know what it means....

the LP's tool, his power is entropy correct?
              well there are sooooo many things that contribute to that, i.e cancer, bad people, and anything else that leads to death or sickness....so his shadows are his tools, his other forms, the other things that are entropy that are leading to entropy....so defeat all those, defeat sickness and disease, and defeat all the bad in the world than you defeat him....this is why we will never win that fight....we can slow entropy but not stop it completly, because to stop entropy we'd have to stop the bad the evil, and without evil, how do we know wuts good?

okay...that made sence to me

Dai,

With great power comes great responsibility.

Donn MacGreine

Donn~~Celtic God of the Dead.

MacGreine~Tuatha de Danann God symbolizing the fire element.

Comment

I agree with MacGreine, the lone power created death and evilness so even if he's gone the people who are evil are still out there and that kinda re creates him.

Live Life to the fullest
                *Agent~M*
                "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                "I could live

Comment

I'm just adding a message here to see if I can get the message topic to come back. It seems to have vanished: I don't know if this is because the thread has suddenly sprouted a rating. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Lee / Forum Administrator
                  Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

I always thought that as a wizards work is still connected to the universe, it has to obey the rules of the universe except for the extra allowances they are given to assist them. Therefore, as the change in the Lone Power happened 40 trillion light-years from Earth, the effects of that change will not be felt here for 40 trillion years.

Comment

Just speculation :

TLP as the all of the powers exists outside time.
                      I think "Shree" in DW mentioned somthing about it if im correct.

So if TLP is not bound by time(and space) it means that what we might see after he was "redeemed"
                      could actualy be "him"! , just at another point in time, or one might say... a shadow.

Confused .. well im am (i hate temporal mechanics)

Besides
                      TLP must is still bound to what his "name" says he is...
                      We also know the powers is not able to change the "energy managment" of the universe to something better.
                      So we need entropy(or TLP) to live, or exist in limbo for all eternity.

TLP went back to timeheart or wherever they went at the end of HW.
                      TLP choose to come back to the pact with the powers What was the pact all about (did i miss anything)?

Comment

the way i like to think of it is like ripples in a pond. if you stop what's making them, it still takes a while for all the ripples to stop.

another good way to think of it is that the events of HW were really the end of the lone power, but since it doesn't exist in sequential [sp] time, it can still exist after that.

Yours till the bed spreads,
                        Rowen Avalon
                        mysites/ravensiggys/constitutionality
                        Rowen Avalon

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
                        "IB helps you with stress management. It throws all this stress at you and says, 'Manage it!' Then you have your b

Comment

Okay, here's an example: a drug pusher sells drugs to people. But when the people take the drugs and hurt themselves, the drug pusher doesn't have to be there. He just set an action in motion and it follows through on it's own. I don't know if this clears up anything for anyone, but it kinda makes sense to me.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
                          Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Comment

In addition to the Lone Power existing 'outside of time,' the usual physics rule that "influences/information cannot travel faster than the speed of light" does not seem to apply to wizards and wizardry in these books. For one thing, in High Wizardry, it does not take Nita, Kit, Dairine & Peach an inordinately long amount of time to reach the planet on which their confrontation with the Lone Power takes place, as it would if their speed was limited by the speed of light (here assuming direct travel from the Earth to the planet [i.e., neglecting wormholes*] and measuring time in an Earth-based frame of reference [so we don't have to deal with relativistic time dilation]). Also, in The Wizard's Dilemma, when Nita is attempting to 'message' Kit via her manual and gets the "Out of Ambit" response, she remarks "...it's not like the manuals are bothered by the speed of light" (or words to that effect, I don't have access to a copy at present).

Nathan

* If we allow wormholes (or travel 'outside' of the [4D] surface of spacetime, which amounts to approximately the same thing), then the conclusions about the influence of the Lone Power's transformation remain unchanged, though this situation no longer supports the hypothesis about the nonapplicability of the speed of light as 'the ultimate speed limit' in the YW universe (though we still have Nita's comment from Dilemma which does support that hypothesis).

Ubi materia, ibi geometria. --Johannes Kepler

Non doctrinam, sed perspicuitatem quaero.
                            Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

"...the only thing faster than the speed of light in otherspace is starship gossip..."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Murmurings

Comment

Working...
                              X