No announcement yet.

Found HW a little freaky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little Women WAS indeed an extremely boring book. I don't thnk I got very far, about the twentieth page.

Avid reader.

Comment

Ugh. Alcott. I really advise anyone considering her to forget it...honestly. I read the whole thing. (Had to. School.)

"That's right," he said. "We're philosophers. We think, therefore we am."
      -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
      *Look kindly upon the decaffienated one*
      My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
      OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
      --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Actually, I love Alcott. Ok, I have some slight problems with Eight Cousins/Rose in Bloom simply because of the whole Chinese-American issue, but Alcott rocks, as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, and going way up the message-chain, completely agree about Rincewind and the Luggage from Discworld. I've just started reading the series, and I'm loving it.

And to get back onto topic (and to give Sam a chance to comment on having just read HW), I think the reason that HW might not work for some fans who loved SYWTBAW? and DW is the computers and the science fiction slant being stronger, because of who Dairine is and what she likes.

What I love about DD's writing is that she writes SF and blends fantasy and science [fiction] elements together seamlessly in ways that make sense. I don't know any other writer who does it so well. Particularly the way that creating spells in the Speech are a lot like computer programming.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

You honestly liked 'An Old-Fashioned Girl'? And hey, they weren't too much into anti-racism then. On a just-barely-related note, have you read anything by Lawrence Yep? The reading level is much lower, but he's still a good author. I think I actually managed to read every single book he wrote...or at least, that my library had.
          Oh, Pratchett is the most awesome author! (Excepting Adams and DD, of course) I just finished Reaper Man. And I have three more Discworld novels waiting! *sigh* Happiness is knowing that once you finish one delightful book, another one's waiting for you. Unfortunately, I still don't have Holiday. *sulks*

OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
          --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Yup. I like the window into her times that Alcott gives us. And yeah, I've read a few Yep titles, but unfortunately, I didn't find them until I was waaay too old for some of them. He's good.

I can't wait to get Monstrous Regiment signed by Mr. Pratchett next Tuesday. I'm about halfway through it already, and (as usual) laughing my guts out and then going away to think it over. You're gonna love it.

I'm actually only up to Eric, but skipping wasn't that bad--not a lot got spoiled.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by kli6:
              (and to give Sam a chance to comment on having just read HW)
              Thanks, yeah I just finished reading HW for the first time this morning. I took me a while to really be able to start to read at my speed, once Dari came in because I never really liked her character. Anyway once I got used to her it wasn't so bad and. But I couldn't read at my usual speed because some of the stuff got sort of scientific, I still managed to finish it in two days. But you should really try to read it it is real good.
              And I have only put down one book and never gone back to it (Matilda Boone) and that was only because they used more than three pages (my limit) to explain an empty boring street.
              Oh, BTW you might post something like this under HW's topic. *hint*

~Sam (Hifun55) and Dog~
              Hyperness and goffyness are fun; but you must get serious to get a job done. -a short poem with a bit of advice from me

[This message was edited by Sam on 02 October 2003 at 15:50.]
              ~Sam (Hifun55)~
              Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
              HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
              My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

You don't have to worry about shronology for Pratchett- the first one I ever read was Sourcery, then Jingo, and _then_ tCOM. I actually wouldn't reccommend tarting with COM, because I don't think it's representative of the whole series, and it has a couple of jokes that become in-joke sfurther on in the series, and so a re better to read later. Obviously, I love Pratchett. (Got, hmm, I think I was The Fifth Elephant sgined by him last year. or perhaps it was The Truth... anyway, I told him my name, and he said, "What?" I said "Tui. it's a Maori name." (I don't know when I'm going to learn that foreigners don't know what a Tui is.) Anyway, he went on "and what does it mean?" I didn't hear him, so I muttered something. He said "Daughter of the night, or something like that?" At this point my best friend stepped in to salvage the situation with "uhm, it's a bird." thank God. Anyway, she thinks it's hilarious, and tells me I shold have "Christened Daughter of the Night by pterry Himself" on the back of a t-shirt...)
                Whoops, that was a rather large anecdote...
                Monsrous Regiment good? *can't wait till she gets it*

I liked Little Women- but I thinl, as with heidi and a couple of other titles, it's best to read them when you're younger, and retain your love when you're older. If you read them for the first time later, then yes, I guess they might grate a little. But it doesn't bother little kids. I'm not suggesting that little kids are racist, or anything, definitely not: but they don't neccesarily object to reading about it in a passive way. Does that make sense? (Not the best explanation, but hey. Cut me some slack and read between the lines? )
                T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
                Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
                Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I read Alcott at a rather young age...*sigh* I guess I'm alone in the world.
                  Oh, lucky! I've never been to a signing of his. I only started recently.

http://pub15.ezboard.com/ftimeheartf...opicID=3.topic
                  --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Still I don't think anyone could read Matilda Boone and live it is soooooooooooooo borring!!!!
                    I tried to read it in 2nd grade and I still couldn't make it through it.
                    Tui when I talk to my friends about this site I have to explain to them your name is really Tui. I was talking to my friend last night and she said that was impossible because she thinks she made up the word tui and it is a word she says when she doesn't like the tast of food. So that is only one experiance YOUV'E been through. But think of the outsiders two of the brothers are named Ponyboy and Sodapap and one of their friends name if Two-bit. LOL. Sorry off topicness.

~Sam (Hifun55) and Dog~
                    Hyperness and goffyness are fun; but you must get serious to get a job done. -a short poem with a bit of advice from me
                    ~Sam (Hifun55)~
                    Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
                    HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
                    My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

Oh, I enjoy Alcott, not that I've read all of her stuff by any means; Under the Lilacs is a bit sticky, but I like the dog. Actually, I thought the Chinese-American relationship to be remarkably forward-thinking for that time period, but I'll admit I'm no history buff. The characterizations of the Chinese, on the other hand, are pretty bad. I had trouble with Meg as a wife and mother though; where'd all her good sense go?

Comment

That one scene in Eight Cousins? Forward-thinking? Well...that's not the word I would have used to describe it...

http://pub15.ezboard.com/ftimeheartf...opicID=3.topic
                        --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Guys, I've opened up a Books thread in Chatter II, and posted my reply to Tui about Pratchett over there. It's just that we've gone off-topic in a big way, as this entire group of threads is supposed to be about things that work/don't work in the YW books.

Comment

Working...
                          X