YW Book 10 Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liking everything I've seen here so far. Couple comments:

Have to agree with one of the earlier posts on the special powers: The idea of Kit having them sounds cool, and we think we want it, but if we got it, I feel like that would cheapen him as a character. In some ways, I feel like it's cheapened Nita, don't get me wrong, I love Bobo; but at the same time, one of the really wonderful aspects of the series was that these were ordinary people in an extraordinary world.

Other than that, I think our favorite author has set herself up well for expanding into more books. There were many things in this book, many of which you guys have pointed out, that could be preludes to future books.

Best,
    Arn

Comment

Even if Kit doesn't get 'special powers', it would still be nice to see him take a level in badass on a personal level. (I'd link here, but that would be a cruel thing to do to the uninitiated. Though if you have a couple of weeks free, go search TV Tropes. And fare thee well!)

Nita's taken a few levels, and Dairine wouldn't need to.

I'm kinda hoping we hear very little from K&N in the 10th book. Don't get me wrong, I love them to itty bitty little bits; I just think they deserve a break to just chill. They need a quiet summer!

Dairine doesn't need a quiet summer. She needs major plot progression and character development.

Comment

Hopes and Predictions!

My predictions and/or hopes for book 10:

1.) This next book will deal with Dairine more, especially her search for Roshaun and her developing skills with stars, etc. Also the 'coincidences' with the hair color mentioned in AWoM.

2.) Like others have said, more Nita/Kit working together. It seems as if these last couple of books have separated them in their work and I want to see them together again. Perhaps not necessarily involved with locating Roshaun, but working together on something.

3.) More of the 'ambiguous' Lone Power stuff. I like that they're coming up against the Lone Power in a more ethical way rather than simply the 'evil villian' that cackles and shoots lightning at people. Perhaps with Dairine as well? I know she's still young, but she's going to start running into the more ethical side of things rather than just the physical.

4.) Developments on whatever is happening with Nita. I know the teaser for AWoM originally said something about Nita becoming 'far more' or 'far less' than human, but that didn't seem to flesh out really. (Unless I'm missing something?) Especially if it has to do with Bobo/Peridexis/Wizardry. Is Nita developing into something else? Is there a Power That Is living in her head? (Similar to Ronan and The Defender). I just want to know what her increased power levels and all these other little tidbits add up too. Also... it would be nice to see her continuing to develop her oracular abilities.

5.) Carmela and her whole skill set should be used more in this next book. Maybe to help Dairine find Roshaun? Who knows, but I think it's cool that she's got her thing with interpreting the Speech. Could be very useful in the future!

6.) Technically, if this next book follows the the last several, then it will take place directly after the events in AWoM. So that means it would be summer vacation. Plenty of time for Filif and Sker'ret to visit! Or for Nita, Kit, and the gang to go visit them.

7.) I want to see more about Irina, the Planetary. She seems amazing, and I have a sneaking suspicion that she knows a little bit about what's going on with Nita and her developing abilities.

8.) I don't think Kit would need special powers, but perhaps if he's ready for it, a new doggy? :-) It doesn't have to be a magical doggy, but perhaps just a pet that will keep him company. I would like see Kit develop new and/or other specialties. I know he's always been good with rocks and machines but perhaps something added to that?

That's pretty much it. Of course I'd like new developments on the whole Nita/Kit relationship as well. Perhaps flirting and awkwardness about Nita's dream? That would be fun. :-D

Comment

Well, having (fairly) thoroughly scoured ErrantryWiki, as well as all the chat logs I could find, plus a recent interview DD did for The Author Hour, here is my in depth hypothesis for Book 10:

1) Will be titled Games Wizards Play
          - She mentioned it in the interview (http://www.theauthorhour.com/diane-d....php#Interview - Near the beginning of Extra Material), plus on ErrantryWiki there's a page called "Games wizards play" (http://www.youngwizards.com/Errantry...s_wizards_play - created in 2006 too...so this has been floating around for a while)

2) Will have something to do with Backlashes
          - The Backlash page on ErrantryWiki redirects to the "Games wizards play" page (http://www.youngwizards.com/Errantry...x.php/Backlash)

3) Will also involve the Feline game "Hauissh" (http://www.youngwizards.com/Errantry...ex.php/Hauissh).
          - I haven't read the Feline Wizardry series yet, so I don't know if anyone else is familiar with it, or if it's been in canon yet. This could be completely unrelated, since it would quite literally be a "game wizards play", but you can't be too careful.

4) People will turn people (and themselves) into FROGS.
          - This one has me rolling around on the floor with laughter. Seriously, the "Batracholepsy" page redirects to "Games wizards play" (proof: http://www.youngwizards.com/Errantry.../Batracholepsy). As soon as I saw that I immediately pictured Kit turning into a frog and Nita having to get all Midieval and princess-y to turn him back...can't decide if that would be absolutely terrible, or wonderfully hilarious (or both).

5) One plot arc may reach back to something in SYWTBAW
          - Not sure if this has any bearing on the plot as it stands now, but in a previous chat (May 26th, 2007 - it's in "Official DD Chat Transcripts") this was a response DD made to a question about "the next three" (10, 11, 12). What this means, I can't say, nor do I know how likely it is that she's still going in that direction, since the chat was from 2007. Maybe it's been scrapped.

Whether I've just stumbled upon the plot to book 10 (in which case: . What kind of plot involves Feline 'passtimes', turning people into frogs, and backlashes? And how does that tie into SYW?) or...something else, I think it's interesting to note all this. Definitely, it makes me even more excited for book 10! Hope we get something concrete to chew on soon.
          Last edited by Elita Justice; May 8, 2010, 06:30:55 AM. Reason: Found the chat!

Comment

Thanks, Elita! I had come across the title 'Games Wizards Play' but what you have dug up certainly makes it more likely we are going to see a wizard or wizards engaged in some kind of competition/tournament/duel/whatever. And it looks to me like Kit is the most likely participant. (It wasn't the frog link that made me think that - but one of the other links did). Great!

I really need to get into the habit of exploring the Errantry Concordance, rather than simply looking topics up as needed.

Comment

No problem! I was bored, and started glancing through the page list for the Concordance, when all of a sudden I noticed "Games wizards play" had its own page! Kind of backs up the slip in the interview. Pretty exciting if we have uncovered the title :P

I agree about the tournament/duel/whatever idea. From reading the Batracholepsy, and specifically the Batrachotropsy entries, it definitely sounds like a possible plot line. Kind of brings to mind the final battle in AWoM, actually.

Just wondering, but what made you think it was going to be Kit? From what I've read so far it sounds like it could be either and any--I was actually considering Nita, just for symmetry's sake. Or it could be a joint duel, Nita/Kit against whoever....ooh...what about Nita VS. Kit? Or one of them versus a 'good guy'...I dunno, just feeling overwhelmed with all the new info and throwing random, probably ridiculous ideas out there XD

Comment

My reasoning involves AWoM spoiler material, and we're not in a spoiler thread (I PMed you Elita, since you asked). A hint, though: new passtimes.

It's been so long since DD did the bulk of her AWoM research. She's had a lot of time to prep for book 10. I wonder what ideas she is going to work in this time?

Comment

This is just a wild speculation with very little true evidence (although really, isn't that what this thread is for? There isn't much evidenceownfrom another planet

Comment

I'm just sayin'!

Comment

Originally posted by Bibliophile View Post
                      This is just a wild speculation with very little true evidence (although really, isn't that what this thread is for? There isn't much evidenceownfrom another planet
                      That's actually a very interesting theory!! Roshaun and Dairine implied or said straight out several times that they were absolutely not romantically involved or even attracted, but obviously they have developed a close relationship. And they're not "just friends" either, so it could be more of a brother/sister relationship.

Of course, that destroys the whole Ro/Dair ship.

EDIT: I have a theory. . . :

Spoilers galore:

Okay. So when Nita checks Roshaun's physical status in the manual, and it has a blank space, and she doesn't know what to make of it . . . it got me wondering: Has Roshaun been taken to "The other side of time," where the Powers and the One exist? I don't think he's actually one of the Powers - that seems really unlikely - but do the Powers have a physical status in the manual? Does the One? If they don't, is it because of where they exist? So what about Roshaun - is he in the same "place"?

I hope this isn't too confusing.
                      Last edited by LifeSong; May 9, 2011, 08:13:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X