Nita/Kit 30 Day OTP Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nita/Kit 30 Day OTP Challenge

So I don't know who all will be interested in this (I'm super excited!)....DD is doing a 30 day OTP challenge with Nita and Kit! Actual stories =) Might help tide things over until the next book! Looks good! Diane Duane, 30 Day OTP Challenge: Holding hands
    YAY!!!
    All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

This is great! But also a little dizzying: a writer fanficcing their own characters, in collaboration with those characters? Gotta love the internet, this sort of thing wouldn't have happened a generation ago.

So what's left for the YW fans to do? I think the answer is clear: an OTP Challenge of Diane and Peter!
    Ardub
    r:w)

Comment

I like the entire conversation between Nita, Kit and DD. "Is this canonical?" is just amusing, but the rest of the conversation is amusing, especially how much it breaks the fourth wall. Things that break the fourth wall well are quite amusing, because so few do it well.

I also like her specifying on this how the words "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" are labels more used for people outside the relationship than in, it seems particularly relevant for the characters of Nita and Kit.

I've been waiting for the rest of it to finish so that I don't have to read them single day at a time, but can read them all at once.
      Last edited by Tuttle; November 27, 2012, 01:11:04 PM.
      We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

day 9 - well there's a blast from the past. Made me get out my Mille Bornes deck and flip through it. The European graphic design always intrigued me as a kid. (This is the game Ronan, Darryl and Darryl were playing... and why couldn't there be a character named Larry instead?)

Hmm, here's a blog post looking at its graphic evolution over the decades. I have the 1982 version shown near the bottom.
        Ardub
        r:w)

Comment

God, it's been ages since I last posted on these forums. But this tread isn't about that, it's about the 30 Day OTP Challenge. Well, I'm a little behind with my reading of this actually (I try my best to keep up with my massive blog reading schedule, but it just keeps growing and growing with more people I follow and watch) and because of that, I've only gotten up to about 30 Day OTP Challenge (Young Wizards), Day #4: On a Date. Due to my hectic schedule here, I'm not able to read them while sitting down at my computer. So instead, I've been saving them to my Evernote account and reading them through that as I get the chance. this makes it feel more like a book to me, like when I'm reading something through my iPad.

This post is a cornucopia of many notes I made into Evernote after reading each 'chapter' with my thoughts and feelings. Each 'chapter' will have its own part, and I will do my best to keep them separated for easier reference later on. If you are new to these forums, you will notice that I tend to post long posts with links and colors, italicizes and bolds, underlinds and other such marks all over the place. I'm no writer, but I do like to write things down and tend to just go and go without realizing how long I've been typing. So I use everything at my disposal to make it easier to read and understand where you are at in my posts. I know I'm getting a little off topic (I do that quite often I'm sorry to say), so I will shut up here and lead into my actual posts.

Anyway, here are my thoughts thus far on the ones I have read (I will add additional posts or edit this post later when I get around to reading the rest that are released or others are released by Diane later).

30 Day OTP Challenge (Young Wizards), Day #1: Holding Hands[NOTE: I get a little off topic for the next little bit, but it leads into the last paragraph about this, but is not needed if you want to skip it.]

It's quite funny actually. When I first started reading the Young Wizard series many years ago, it never acquired to me that there was this whole sub-colture of fans all about specific pairings. I knew that me personally, that when I got to A Wizard Abroad that I personally would like to see Nita and Kit get together, but I never assumed that others had the same thought and actually feed into their wishes with fanfiction. It wasn't until I started to read Harry Potter when a friend of mine acquainted me to the website Harry Potter Fan Fiction[/NOTE]

When I finished reading through A Wizard of Mars, I was thrilled with the ending. It wasn't because of the obstacle they had to overcome in order to deal with the problem of the story, but it was for the realization of what was happening between the two main characters. I won't go into detail for those who have not read it yet, but I was happy and cannot wait to see how this development leads into the next book, and many others (hopefully) thereafter.

This little story was heartwarming, and really got my heart aflutter for these two.

30 Day OTP Challenge (Young Wizards), Day #2: Cuddling Somewhere

Awww, such a cute story. While it may not start out 'cute' it does lead into it towards the ending. I kind of figured based on the titles that some of these topics would be taken a little differently then at face value (especially when we get into the later ones), so I wasn't sure how this one would end up. But the way it was presented was well within the story that was laid out before it.

I will have to admit that some things that were referenced within this particular part was a little confusing to me, but I assume it's because I have not read any of the books in a while now. I do plan to reread them soon to refresh my memory on some things, and I'm sure that will lead into a better understanding on a few minor points that confused me. I won't go into detail as to which parts did or did not, but it's nothing that a simple reread will not fix. Since I'm keeping these stories in my Evernote account, I'll be able to reread them later on to get the full scope of what is going on.

Anyway, like I said before, I loved how this story developed. Starting out with some small glimpses into Nita's personal anxiety over the situation she's in, leads well into Kit being there for her. I just assumed in my mind that this took place some time ater the end of A Wizard of Mars, but there is no bases for that. Just how I personally perceived it. But that does not distract or detract from my enjoyment of the story at all. It actually makes it more enjoyable because it makes me feel like they are willing to take their time and not rush things.

I'd have to say the thing that I really love about this story thus far is that it's not focusing only on Nita and Kit, but bringing the entire universe into play. Based on the titles of each part alone, I assumed it would be nothing but Nita and Kit's relationship with little to no interaction with the other characters and settings. But this part proves that we are able to get a mixture of both, killing two-birds-with-one-stone, as the saying goes. It's an enjoyable read that I'm glad to be a part.

30 Day OTP Challenge (Young Wizards), Day #3: Gaming / Watching a Movie

I couldn't help but smile with this 'chapter.' While I may not be in a relationship with anyone at the moment, I know the feeling of spending time with someone and simply just playing a game or watching a movie with them. Especially if you know the person well, you are not afraid to talk, ask questions, comment and rave about what it is you are watching / doing. this just showed to me that even as busy wizards like Nita and Kit are, they still get to have some time to themselves to enjoy something simple, like a movie, and not have to worry about anything going on.

We sometimes get all roundup about the particular problem in the stories that we don't think about the characters actually having a life. And this story, while it's mostly just a bunch of talking between two friends about a movie, has many impacts with everything thus far known about them. They get to actually have a day off, do something fun, and just enjoy life (something that I personally should learn to do more often and not spend all my time working).

30 Day OTP Challenge (Young Wizards), Day #4: On a Date

And here is where my initial thought I made earlier come to fruition. "I kind of figured based on the titles that some of these topics would be taken a little differently then at face value..." ~ Gibby Gibson [personal post about 30 Day OTP Challenge (Young Wizards), Day #2: Cuddling Somewhere].

Even if it wasn't a 'date' as is typically referred to with such a word, this story is brilliant and heartwarming in-and-of-itself. Once again, like with the last 'chapter,' this story lends to the idea that Nita and Kit get to spend some time with no worries about anything major happening. They get to do something out and about, be themselves, enjoy life, have fun. And while there are some references to a 'date' like atmosphere here and there within the story, it makes me feel like this 'trip' was more about just having fun and doing something with their respective other (as is referenced within the first paragraph of this 'chapter').

One aspect about the Young Wizard series I always loved is the references to things that I personally would never have known about; such as the event / party that Nita and Kit go to. I've personally never head of it myself, and after reading this, I did some research to see if it is really as described. And based on my findings, it is. Just like when Diane references something within space about a particular star, or oddity about a particular planet, I feel like I'm also learning while reading something I enjoy.

I do wish we got more interaction from the characters, but that wasn't he focus, and I can live with that. The focus of this story was to show that you can still be on a date, and not have to be on a date at the same time (if that makes any sense). As long as you are enjoying yourself, and the person you are with is having fun, then you can say you are on a date, regardless of what others may say. And that means a great deal to me.

Gibby Gibson
          Last edited by Gibby Gibson; December 7, 2012, 02:30:44 PM.
          "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed." ~G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I'm really-really glad DD is writing it!)))
            And it is not only because I want more stories about the YW universe(s), but also because of the closer look we are getting at the way a relationship like that is like.
            It's trust, in themselves and in their relationship and in other people. It's fun (and funny). It's not just about kissing etc))) - it's about an added dimension to everything.

It's a treasure, when there is someone who can at a drop of a Chao)) go from almost kissing to getting into a discussion of science and semantics. ))

Comment

I know, I know, this is an old thread(by at least a year!), but I just wanted to contribute.
              You see, I've always had a thing about being canon(that is, being right with my ideas), and seeing canon!fanfiction is just wonderful. Even moreso when it's made by Mrs. Duane herself! In otherwords, this is amazing, and I just wanted to say that without it being a one-liner. Carry on.

Comment

Yeah, I really enjoyed them! It's too bad she never finished it, but I love what we got!
                All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

It's been quite some time since the last update to the 30 Day OTP Challenge was posted, so I figured it would be good to post something here to let everyone know that DD just posted the next chapter within this on her Tumblr page: Young Wizards 30-Day OTP part 17: Spooning. I haven't taken the time yet to read it (I've got so many things on my to-read list right now that it may take a few days to get to it), I do plan to read through it at some point. I just figured some people would like to know that it is out, if they do not know already.

GibbyGibson
                  "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed." ~G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Awesome, thanks!

And btw, for those who may not be on Tumblr all that often, you might want to check her 'yw meta' tag too, since she often posts interesting tidbits there as well.

Comment

The 'Spooning' chapter was very meta.... one which blurred the line between reality and fiction in a rather wonderful way. Plus, we got to see the Pig again, one my favourite characters.

I sometimes wish I could have a chat with the Pig about things... anyone else ever wanted that?
                      "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

pig

Well, yes, I've wanted a chat with the pig about several things, but, OTOH, given the way conversations with the pig tend to go, I'm sure it wouldn't be a... conclusive conversation, but rather one that leaves me with more questions than I had at the start.

Wilbur might be a better pig to have a nice, satisfactory conversation with.

Comment

To Be Continued?

Do we know if Ms. Duane is planning to finish these at any point?

I'd also love to hear more about the Himalayas, Alimat, dinosaurs in central park (referenced in book 5), the hurricane (referenced in book 7), or any number of the half dozen other wizardry interventions that are mentioned in passing throughout the books and the OTP challenge shorts.

One thing that's really really great about the digital age in terms of ebooks, etc. is that now anyone can self publish without being constrained by typical publishing company concerns, which means, (in theory) it's now infinitely more possible for us to see shorter adages and side stories in this universe so long as Duane deigns to write them for us. X) If we're looking at another 5 year wait for Book 11 (please say it isn't so!!!), maybe we can at least look forward to future additions of the interim errantry variety....?

Pretty please?

Comment

dinosaurs...

If i recall correctly, you can hear more about dinosaurs in central park in the Feline Wizards books. Though I don't recall which one.

Comment

Working...
                            X