Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanx! I hate it when people are mad at me. Again a million sorrys!! (sorries?)

3 more days of school, La La La la La La La!!!!

Evil will always lose.- Miep Gies
    *Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

Comment

Personally, I think "sockyopath" is a perfectly good attempt at pronouncing sociopath. After all, books very rarely tell you how to prononuce words. It took me a long time to figure out how to pronounce "idiot" (my mind kept blanking out the second 'i'). I was unable to equate with the word that I heard. (Which was gerenally prononuced 'id-yut' where I come from, so can you blame me).
      Hmmm... now I think I;m rambling, so I'll stop here.
      "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

Well, it may be- except that it quite obviously comes from social, and also, one expects that, at 14, he would have heard the word before.
        Apart from that, I suppose it's OK; but it was extremely funny.
        T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
        Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
        Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
        Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
        My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
        Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Birdhead: If your brother has studied Latin (and learned 'Classical Reconstructed' pronunciation, as seems to be usual these days [at least in the US]), that could explain his use of a hard 'c' in attempting to pronounce 'sociopath' (though not his pronunciations of the 'i' or the 'o'), as he would probably be attempting to draw a parallel between 'sociopath' and 'socius' (or a related Latin word). I have been known to pronounce English words as if they were Latin on occasion (especially those English words which are derived fairly clearly from a Latin word I know well). I live in fear of pronouncing 'Jovian' as if it were a Latin word (i.e., with an 'I' instead of a 'J' and a 'w' instead of a 'v') and absolutely confusing whomever I am talking to.

Re 'alne'/A Wizard Alone: I was referring to "...I got 'sobriquet' from alne -which is a good book,..." near the bottom of your post at the top of the page. I imagine that you are correct about 'alne' meaning 'Alone' --in retrospect, that would make perfect sense --I just couldn't figure it out when I first read your post.

Nathan

Ubi materia, ibi geometria. --Johannes Kepler

Non doctrinam, sed perspicuitatem quaero.

[This message was edited by Nathan on 06 June 2003 at 16:14.]
          Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

Oh, click, blush, I hate typos with a vengeance.

And yeah, he studies latin, and has done so for about a year and a half. I've done so for four and a half years and I have never pronounced it so... Oh well. I'll get over it, but until I do I'm going to tell the story as often as possible. As I can't remember many funny incidents from babyhood, I hardly ever get to be an embarassing elder sister, that's my chance.

As for the Is and the Js- when we were 13, the Latin class learnt to pronounce each other's names Latin-like. so, Tuia, Mega, Alicia with a hard c, and so on. But it was most funny for Jordan- and I still call her Iordana on occasion. But only with the enlightened group that took Latin. I have also been known to pronounce my Vs as Ws, especially after I've just had Latin- and that's the worst, because you sound so blinking stupid!
            T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
            Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
            Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
            Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
            My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EWizard11:
              I have a bad habit of saying "Ying!" at inappropriate times. Also of using big words for the sole purpose of confusing people. Such as the word "incessantly".

That is nothing compared to mi fav. word wich is "paradiechlorolbenzine" OK? OK. OK. Gimme a break I'm WEIRD

BUHBYENOW

L8er

Sam (Hifun55)
              ~Sam (Hifun55)~
              Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
              HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
              My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

But that's a chemical, right, I think it's a fuel. What's the point of using that word in conversation?
                T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!

Comment

Yeah it's a chemical but its used in mothballs; I used it in conversation because I'm boring, bored, my friends betrayed me AGAIN , and like I said I'm REALLY WEIRD!

L8er

Sam (Hifun55)

[This message was edited by Sam on 07 September 2003 at 18:09.]
                  ~Sam (Hifun55)~
                  Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??

Comment

Hey, that works for me. The different ways one can manouver the topic of mothballs into a conversation must stretch the imagination.

Murmurings

Comment

Stretch is not the word. Twist might come closer. Turn-into-an-Escherian-maze might be an even better verb, but I agree that it's not particularly concise....
                      T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

Is that supposed 2 b a compliment? No not that, what is it supposed to mean?

~Sam (Hifun55)~
                        "So," Harry said, "so does that mean that... that one of us has to kill the other one... in the end?" -HP year 5
                        ~Sam (Hifun55)~

Comment

I just reread my last post in here. Man was I a jerk or what?

*Agent~M*

"Thank you Jack" "Your welcome" "No not you, we named the monkey Jack" -Pirates of the Caribbean
                          Look closely at your next subway token. And speak to strangers.- SYWTBAW 20th Ed.
                          *Agent~M*
                          "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                          "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                          "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                          "I could live

Comment

Agent M: you're not a jerk. Ok it wasn't All that nice but everyone has a moment like that. Come to think of it I have one at least once a week, but I'm trying to stop that so hang w/ me sorry I forgot you asked me not to do abreviations!

~Sam (Hifun55)~
                            "So," Harry said, "so does that mean that... that one of us has to kill the other one... in the end?" -HP year 5
                            ~Sam (Hifun55)~

Comment

Birdhead: You never answered my question. What did you mean by your last post?

~Sam (Hifun55)~
                              ~Sam (Hifun55)~

Comment

It wasn't an insult... or a compliment... maybe it was a joke.
                                Agent M: it was??? I missed that somehow. Fill me in?
                                T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

Working...
                                X