Christian Symbolism in Deep Wizardry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian Symbolism in Deep Wizardry

[sorry about lack of caps in this post. my shift key is broken and using caps lock is too annoying.]

i got the whole YW series for my birthday this year so i was re-reading deep wizardry, and i started to notice that there seems to be some christian symbolism. i can't think of all the ones i was remembering in my head, but here are a few and some notes.

twelve singers = tweleve apostles [although this doesn't quite work since one of them is the savior figure and one is the tempter]
    silent lord = Christ [dies for all and makes death something else, a rebirth; a savior; best if the sacrifice is made willingly]
    lone one = obviously

my question is this. is this intentional or am i over analysing. [argh, can't do question marks either.] does anyone else see other symbolisms in the book.

just as a note, this is not intented to offend anyone. it is a common literary practice to look for christian symbolism in things.

Yours till the bed spreads,
    Rowen Avalon
    mysites/ravensiggys/constitutionality
    Rowen Avalon

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
    "IB helps you with stress management. It throws all this stress at you and says, 'Manage it!' Then you have your b

The stuff you've posted is way too ubiquitous to count as "Christian symbolism." There's examples of the above in pretty much every religion/culture. But still, not a bad catch.

-Tabby
    the princess with claws

Comment

Comment

DD's approach on the whole Christian thing as it is in relation to the series is, I think, contained in the passage in Dilemma where Nita enters a church, think that "God was just another name for the One." -or something along those lines- as usual, I don't own any of the books, and so have to rely on an already-dodgy memory...Anyway, as an atheist, I infinitely prefer that idea to the idea of Christian symbolism- I really don't think (hope!) it's present. Of course, when you write fantasy, or anything, really, or make a movie, or whatever, you taske material from sources, you're influenced by other things. of course, any work is going to be influenced by one of the bestsellelling, best-beloved fantasy epics of all time...

Don't hit me!! I was just joking!! You can never take me seriously. But, seriously, nothing is done in a vacuum. Also, one of the ideas behind the entire series is that there's only "one story-" the story of entropy. In The book of Night With Moon and To Visit the Queen, there's a lot of inconnection with the part of the Bible, I think it's Genesis, that revolves around Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden. It mentions several times "One of the human's mythology's" or somesuch- I just returned the blasted thing, or I'd find you some actual quotes... anyway,. you have my two cents!
        Ka Kite
        Tui

Tuibird in Aotearoa
        Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
        Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
        *sob* back to school....*sob*
        My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

first: star , LOVE your arvatar
          second: i think the presence/absence of religious symbolism depends more on how you were brought up and on you own religious belifs. i must admit, though, that even though i'm catholic and got to a catholic school (the uniforms really aren't THAT bad) i didn't notice the connections. but then again, i'm not one who would usually do stuff like that. I try not to read too much into things (although i DO believe the JKR MEANT to have james come out of the wand first, no matter WHAT anybody else says) but i also (no offence to anyone meant) really get annoyed with people who read TOO much into things. like people who feel hp is evil, and yet haven't read the books, stuff like that (the pope ok'd it! ha!)

and for those of you who find people like the above mentioned ones HILARIOUS try this site:
          http://www.satansrapture.com/harrypotter
          this is a rather funny site by people who think harry potter is the devil. and if you share these veiws (but then, WHY would you be on this site?) i apologise profusely.

A message to the snow gods: remember 1996? 6 ft. of snow? i got off school for a week, so THINK BACK!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!! I"M ROOTING FOR YA!!!!
          If one is a TRUE book lover, one cannot have a favorite book. It would be an insult to all the other books you have read and loved.
          http://www.avidgamers.com/WWOHP/
          PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
          Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

When we hear a fantastic claim we say, "that's nice, prove it."
            - Michael Schermer, Skeptic Society

Today's song lyrics:
            Third Eye Blind; Motorcycle Driveby

Summer dies and swells rise
            The sun goes down in my eyes
            See this rolling wave
            Darkly coming to take me
            Home
            And I've never been so alone
            And I've never been so alive

Comment

now i remember the thing which made me think about the symbolism in the first place, because, as someone mentioned, what i wrote down thus far is very vague. it was that there was a betrayer among the twelve in this particular song. anyway, yes, this is very loose symbolism and is really only there if you make it.

Yours till the bed spreads,
              Rowen Avalon
              mysites/ravensiggys/constitutionality
              Rowen Avalon

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
              "IB helps you with stress management. It throws all this stress at you and says, 'Manage it!' Then you have your b

Comment

Rowen Avalon, are you here now? If so, please respond. I doubt that D.D. meant to put Christian symbolism in her books 'cuz the whole idea of having many gods is polytheistic and therefore anti-Christian. Right? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Assuming that D.D. is Christian, D.D. wouldn't want to mix religion w/ fantasy. I believe that it is coincidental.

Jen26
                "Deceit shall have its reward." - Timeline

Comment

jen26 are you still here its really hard to cacth up with someone here when your new in the chat rooms

chase604@hotmail.com

Comment

Yeah, I'm here. I posted something where ya said ya were lonely.

Jen26

Comment

ah thank god i sent you another one my computer is kinda slow

chase604@hotmail.com

Comment

Yes!!!! Gotcha! Let's talk here. O.K.?

Jen26

Comment

Okay i'm fine with that I just kinda felt outa place like an alien of something what do you want to talk about I'm open minded

chase604@hotmail.com

Comment

Let's meet at the private topic I just started: Hi!

Jen26

Comment

I'm kinda confused I just wingin it from here out how did you figure out how to work out all this stuff so fast

chase604@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X