No announcement yet.

"There's no higher payment that can be made."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Oooh... PK, I like the idea of being incorporated entirely into a spell. That's neat."-- said Senri, about an idea from PK

This actually fits in kind of neatly with something that shows up in later books...don't want to spoil anyone, though. (I'm new...what are the rules on spoilers here?)

But, in general terms, consider this: the higher price than a lifeprice is, indeed, to bind yourself so tightly that you become part of the spell. But in doing so, you create a spell that will not continue to function without your energy and full attention: you cannot look away from the spell for one instant or it will collapse, so you have no mental capacity for the rest of your life. But, but the same logic...if you turn your attention away from the spell by dying, the spell also collapses.

So you are left in the inbetween state: catatonic, comatose, or merely insane. A constant reminder to your friends and family of what you once were, a shadow of your former self. An empty mind in a whining, animal body. In some ways, harder than death-- death is such an old part of our biology that we, as a species, have developed techniques for handling it. But to always see the person you loved-- and never be able to speak to them? To always have the hope that they will one day "come back" to you, and to have that hope constantly dashed?

And for the wizard inside? To see or hear glimpses of her old life around her, but never to be able to touch them? To know that even to reach out to what you love most dearly is to fail in your self-appointed task?

PS: Susie, are you talking about the Agammemnon cycle? Agammemnon kills his daughter Iphigenia to get a fair wind for Troy and his family collapses? If you are, your analogy won't quite work, because (as I remember) Clytemnestra (Helen's mortal sister) kills Agammemnon with her lover. Then her son kills her, and then HE's the one left in the ruins.

Comment

From the Diablo Player's Handbook

Mephisto and Diablo, once found, were easily lured into the Soulstones. The capture of their brother Baal, however, became complicated when the Soulstone that was to be his eternal prison was shattered and fragmented. We found that while the shards still held the power to lure the demon to them, they could not properly contain it. Tal Rasha, a fellow Initiate who has been since immortalized in Horadrim lore, theorized that a mortal of strong will might be able to contain Baal within his own mortal soul. This sacrifice meant that the essence of any mortal so chosen would be forever tortured while locked in eternal conflict with the enthralled demon. To this end, Tal Rasha volunteered to contain the raging Lord of Destruction.

Peircing his breast with a shard of the Soulstone, Tal Rasha took within himself the essence of Baal, the Lord of Destruction. The Initiate's body was shackled, chained and buried deep within a tomb under the desert. The sacrifice of Tal Rasha has kept Baal imprisoned for many years now, and although the demon was imprisoned without the use of a whole Soulstone, we believe that our victory may be a hollow one. Should Tal Rasha ever escape, he would have the formidable powers of Baal added to his own. By ridding the world of this present Evil, we may have created a nightmare worse than that which we first sought to contain...

--Jared Cain
      The stories seemed so similar, I just had to post this.

--Dai Stihó

Bishie
      'Mancer
      Foam Poet

Comment

[DD] It might not be a price that human being is capable of paying.

I might have misquoted that. We'll check the chat logs later...

--Dai Stihó

Bright
        Bishie
        'Mancer
        Foam Poet

Comment

Ok. We have a hint, guys, a veritable hint!
          In the chat today (right now) I asked DD what she meant by the phrase. She seemed curiously reluctant to tell me (maybe she jst wants to keep us guessing... ) so it may even be a future plot point or something she plans to expand on. but she offered one hint:
          It might not be a price human beings can pay.
          Squash asked if she meant it was person-specific: she replied "I never said that."
          So.
          Very interesting, no?
          *goes to work on idea*
          T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
          Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
          Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I always thought it meant like what Ed had to do, living forever. Cuz if you live forever you can't go to timeheart anyway, right?

Comment

Good point.

*Agent~M*

"Thank you Jack" "Your welcome" "No not you, we named the monkey Jack" -Pirates of the Caribbean
              Look closely at your next subway token. And speak to strangers.- SYWTBAW 20th Ed.
              *Agent~M*
              "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
              "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
              "I could live

Comment

But Ed didn't live forever. I mean yeah he lived a long time but he does eventually die. And I have a feeling that HE didn't preform an blankcheck spell. But, he only went to The Heart of the Sea (timeheart) b/c he was loved 9in a friendly way) by Neets.

~Hifun55~
                "So," Harry said, "so does that mean that... that one of us has to kill the other one... in the end?" -HP year 5
                ~Sam (Hifun55)~
                Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
                HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
                My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

But he only died cuz he sacrificed himself, otherwise he probably would have lived forever. And he didn't do the blankcheck Spell, Nita did. Though I thought Kit did too. In SYWTBAW.

*Agent~M*

"Thank you Jack" "Your welcome" "No not you, we named the monkey Jack" -Pirates of the Caribbean
                  Look closely at your next subway token. And speak to strangers.- SYWTBAW 20th Ed.
                  *Agent~M*
                  "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                  "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                  "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                  "I could live

Comment

I know but, even though he only died b/c he sacrificed himself he still died.I just mantioned that he didn't do the blanckcheck spell so that can't be the case, b/c if that was then he would have had to havwe powers, and the only reason he went to timeheart was cuz Neets loved him as a friend. But that last part confussed me cuz Neets didn't do anything but help Kit with her powers in the spell

~Hifun55~
                    "So," Harry said, "so does that mean that... that one of us has to kill the other one... in the end?" -HP year 5
                    ~Sam (Hifun55)~
                    Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??

Comment

Well, it's not like they can both half-die...and the moebius spell only required one death, I guess.

Comment

But why Neets? Kit did most of the spell and she tried to stop him.

~Hifun55~
                        ~Sam (Hifun55)~

Comment

I suppose it might be mostly because of plot reasons...after all, Nita was the main character at first, and when it did start shifting in HW, it was to Dairine...

Comment

NO!!!!!!!!!!! don't talk about books past DW I haven't read them I don't want a zero!

~Hifun55~
                            ~Sam (Hifun55)~

Comment

And..Yeah, it's Kit's idea to do the spell, but Nita does it as much as Kit...and theres this bit in there about how saying stuff in the Speech is all about promising to give the energy back and so on.

Comment

Oh. Sorry. Didnt realize.I was reading some stuff about your AR, which sounds a lot like what I used to have to do in elementary school...how many books are you reading a week or whatever?

Comment

Working...
                                X