reading the series backwards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reading the series backwards?

i am currently reading the series backwards. A wizard of mars was the first now im reading Wizards at war. Just wondering has anyone else read the youngwizards series form latest to first?

Didn't you know I had the idea first? ;-)

Erm, yes. Quoting from my own post in the "What order did you read the series in?" part:

Recently I read the series backwards, on purpose; it was kind of a whim, sort of a celebration of AWOM getting published (eventually). I actually think the timing (the ages of the characters, time between books, etc.) is a lot clearer that way than reading it frontwards. Also it was interesting to observe DD's growth as a writer and how the general atmosphere of the books changes from a backwards point of view. I'd recommend reading it that way the next time you want to read the whole series, for a change from the normal strategy. (Can't read them randomly: that just spoils the continuity.)
    Note, it was before AWoM, so that would change the experience, too...
    Last edited by dorotheia; May 26, 2010, 09:54:14 PM.

Comment

Ah ok yea right now im planning on finish reading it backwards before the end of the summer. that cool that you did it first congrats

Comment

Backwards?

Backwards? At first it may sound strange, but it sounds like a clever idea! I have recently found a recording online of DD reading her YW short story, Uptown Local. My new goal is to now read the series backwards, including the short story. Every time I read a book, I pick up on something new, even the smallest detail, that I didn't the first time. I have read Uptown Local one and a half times. ( Partially through the second time.) And noticed that it says Nita's favorite brand of chips are Wise. When I heard this, I laughed. (I love details!) My new goal for this summer.... I must read the series backwards.
        Last edited by nita13579; May 28, 2010, 02:42:14 PM.
        "Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself" Hermione Granger Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Comment

Cool! Tell us how the reading goes, Nita13579, okay? Maybe I should read it backwards again...! Then we can discuss what we noticed this time around! (Wow, I should probably lay off the exclamation marks! I'm so excited you and wizard2009 thought it was a good idea.)

Comment

?redro esrever ni tsuj ro sdrawkcab yllaeR

boB

Comment

I read in reverse order, by book. Wizard of Mars first, until SYWTBAW last. If you were really dedicated, then you could go backwards chapter by chapter, but I think that's just a little intense. And if you were crazy OCD then you could go word by word, but then nothing would make sense, would it? Better off reading it upside down, but try delving meaning from that!

Comment

I didn't read the series backwards, but with each book I read the end and then the beginning.
                I Am A Beautiful Palm Tree
                (Name taken from a Youtube video of same title)
                "For some reason, I can remember Haku... from a long time ago... but I thought I never met him before!" -Chihiro

Comment

i just got done reading wizard at war now bout to read wizards holiday

Comment

Working...
                  X