The name of the book...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The name of the book...

There's not very much to explain. Just vote in the poll and we can get some discussion.

Personally I'm not entirely sure. I think that "on" makes more sense, but "of" sounds better. I'll vote for "on".
    A Wizard of Mars
    85.71%
    A Wizard on Mars
    14.29%
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Call me odd, but I think I'd rather read the book before making a choice like that. One letter makes a big difference in the focus of the title.
    -Positronic Cat
    (I have sat between the great lion statues, hoping for a glimpse of the future.)

Comment

Eric, the context you're missing here is the Edgar Rice Burroughs books about John Carter of Mars. I'm pretty sure Diane picked the name to parallel that.
      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Hmm, I've never heard of this book before. That makes sense.

PosiCat, that's a good point too. Maybe the book does have something that would dictate which letter should go there.

However based upon your predictions (if you have any) what do you think the appropriate title is? I thought "On" because there may be a wizard that goes on mars, maybe Dairine. Although, like you said, the story could reveal a detail that should change the title. Ooh! The word "of" in the title would make sense if there was a wizard living _on_ Mars that the wizards of Earth met at some point in the book, and the book is focused on this wizard! Yeesss! I actually made a good prediction in the spoiler forums! *Is in an excellent mood now*
        "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Garrett--agreed. It's much like the title of Wizard's Holiday calling to mind the phrase: "busman's holiday."

And in chat, DD did state that there were likely to be not a few references to John Carter not the least of which would involve a skimpy costume worn by Kit. [grin]

And from nuggets and hints that DD's let drop, I'd say that you're definitely on the right track. I'd venture to say that when DD says "of Mars", she probably means a Martian wizard.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

*won't decide* of is probsbly there for a reason, and once we read the book...chances are her choice of a title will make all the more sense to us. :P (though it already makes sense, judging by what i'm reading) anyways....*doesn't know what else i can say on the matter so goes off*
            I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
            For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

I think that I would like to read the book too, before I decide!

Comment

DD did state that there were likely to be not a few references to John Carter not the least of which would involve a skimpy costume worn by Kit. [grin]
                *crosses fingers* Please say you did mean Kit and not Nita, please say you did mean Kit and not Nita...

But seriously, folks. A wizard of Mars just has so much more potential, and tells us a lot more about the book, too: that it'll feature a wizard from mars, not just... you know... standing around throwing up bologna sandwiches and leaving the door open.
                Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

strange sig. *goes ahead and panicks at idea of not knowing what to say* i suppose the real question is, are they reffering to the martian wizards, or nita and kit happening to be on mars? OF mars seems to say the former, rather then the later which is probably a good thing...(still best to see before you commit to a title though, i suppose so i still haven't voted. :P Wll someone tell me which sides' winning though?)
                  For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

It's one of my favourite lines from Deep Wizardry. Peach is harassing Tom & Carl while they're warning Kit and Nita about man-eating clams, giant squid, etc. I like it 'cos fearing death by water presumably has a higher incidence in summer (June), right? :P Although actually, DW may take place in June.

With regards to seeing who's winning - you can always click the "see poll results" button next to "vote", right?

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">I'm leaning towards "of" since we have definitely spoiled enough, without reading a word of the chapters (which I hope to do VERY SOON and am extremely excited by) to know with confidence we'll be seeing Martian wizards. There are even tidbits in Wizards at War to suggest this, right?</span>
                    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Actually, I found something out a few days or so after I started this thread. I forgot to post about it in this thread up until now (although I'm surprised nobody noticed it already).

At Youngwizards.com, it shows the introduction (or whatever the information on the back of the book is called) to A Wizard of Mars. And it says in that introduction:

...But not even wizardry is enough to cope with the strange events that start to unfold when the "bottle" is uncorked and life emerges once more to shake the Red Planet with its own terrifying and magnificent brand of magic.

The good news is that the Martians seem friendly. The bad news is that now they're free to pick up where they left off on some old plans that could change the shape of more than one world...and they don't mind using their well-intentioned rescuers to achieve their goals. ...
                      The full context at YW.com

Although I swear I hadn't seen that before I made that prediction in my second post in this thread. I forgot (and didn't think again later) to post that here until now.

Comment

who ACTUALLY traps someone in a bottle? i mean, can't you use something, i don't know, less FRAGILE? something that doesn't scream out "hey! uncork me! it always seems to work out in the stories!" *shakes head saddly* and thanks, birdhead...i had thought you couldn't see it unless you've already voted. *is embarresed*

Comment

I agree with young reader_why not use something like a plastic bottle, as those are harder to break?
                          I think it should be a Wizard of Mars, which would indicate that it is from Mars; not just a wizard who goes to have some lunch and leave the gate open *shakes her head at how careless people can be* Anyway. i think the book will tell us what makes more sense, even though i think it sould be of.
                          ~We're the kinda friends that kill each other for a handful of Doritos and in the end we don't say sorry we say Haha! Too bad!!~. Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald:
                            Eric, the context you're missing here is the Edgar Rice Burroughs books about John Carter of Mars. I'm pretty sure Diane picked the name to parallel that.
                            That was my first immediate thought (ERB and John Carter) when I saw the title, so it seems a reasonable parallel to me. Plus, it made me smile.

-- Ruth
                            "Never send a monster to do the work of an eeeeeevil scientist!"

Comment

Working...
                            X