No announcement yet.

Ronan's Ordeal: where's the Lone Power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronan's Ordeal: where's the Lone Power?

Where was the Lone Power in Rohan's ordeal in A Wizard Abroad? He just saved some guys from drowning.

And, if all wizards face the Power in the Ordeal (and indeed, every week if Nita/Kit are anything to judge by), why were the Irish wizards so impressed that Nita had met him?

Or am I simply misremembering all this? It's been several months since I read most of the books, and my sister has them, so I can't check.

Star Wars: Betrayed Federation
    A full-cast audio drama featuring the tale of two Jedi Knights investigating the assassination of a Trade Federation Viceroy in the days nine centuries before the Battle of Yavin.

Erm...It's Ronan, not Rohan...Rohan's the horse country place in Lord of the Rings.

I think that during their ordeal, wizards meet up with some form of entropy, not necessarially the Lone Power itself.

-Emilie
    My monkey likes the KBA!
    "Lovely angry democrats"--My sister

Comment

Yeah, that makes sense. I always wondered about that, great thinking Emilie! Don't mess up Ronan, he's cool!

~Sam (Hifun55) and Dog~
      "It's hard enough to be what you are, Harder to be what you're not; It's hard to know what you need to get, harder to know what you've got" -Hilary Duff, Metamorphisis, Workin' It Out
      ~Sam (Hifun55)~
      Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
      HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
      My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

I don't remember the Irish wizards being impressed with Nita meeting Ronan (no h)
        All i remember is the Irish wizards being impressed with Nita, not with Nita meeting Ronan. But i don't know, i haven't read that book in a while.

" Duct tape, the stuff that holds the universe together."A Wizard Alone by Diane Duane
        - Serena

Comment

Serena, I don't think Steve meant the Irish wizards were impressed with Nita meeting Ronan. He was referring to their reaction to Nita meeting the Lone Power in person. ...Which I can't actually remember, unfortunately, though I do seem to remember something about that being unusual. Possibly it came from Fred or someone like that, though -- if it's unusual in general, Nita and Kit certainly do run into It in person an awful lot. (Maybe it's like what S'Reee said about the Lone Power dropping in on Earth a lot because it kept getting frustrated there?)

Now I'm going to want to look for the quote, and I should be doing other things....

Whether the Lone Power showed up in person or more subtly in Ronan's Ordeal (and could Ronan have been deliberately given one where It wasn't there in person to avoid rousing the Defender too soon?), it was certainly difficult both wizardrily (that is so not a word...) and personally. I think Nita's thoughts about it are pretty close to the heart -- he was presented with invaders in trouble and had to overcome his own desire to fend them off.

Comment

Gah! It's Ronan? And I was torn between Rohan and Rowan... I just can't be right at all, can I?

A full-cast audio drama featuring the tale of two Jedi Knights investigating the assassination of a Trade Federation Viceroy in the days nine centuries before the Battle of Yavin.

Comment

Apropos of nothing: Steve, who's your avatar? On first glance I thought it was the Eighth Doctor, but it's too dark for me to be sure...not Lewis Carroll by any chance?

Comment

Your first guess was right. That's good ol' Paul McGann, the Eighth Doctor, as he appears on the cover of the it-had-better-be-wondrous-or-I-will-be-in-a-bad-mood-for-years audio drama Zagreus.
                http://www.bigfinish.com/drwho/bf050_zagreus.shtml

A full-cast audio drama featuring the tale of two Jedi Knights investigating the assassination of a Trade Federation Viceroy in the days nine

Comment

Ah, thank you. Want him back. Heck, want the series back. Audio dramas don't cut it for me.

Comment

Live Dr Who episodes will resume in 2005.
                    An animated version will be sooner.
                    See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/entertainment/3140786.stm

Selden
                    Selden

Comment

Yeah, I think that the Lone Power was present in Ronan's Ordeal by having entropy represented in the form of the storm. The Lone Power was _also_, however, present in Ronan's temptation not to do something- which Nita seemed to think was a pretty big one. Ronan, if you remember, does not like blow-ins. The idea that the Lone Power is present in every Ordeal is usually more of a metaphor, but not neccesarily so, as we can tell from Nita and kit and Dairine and Darryl's Ordeals. The Lone Power always takes a pretty personal interest, I think, ( as implied by Kit's comment ..."I thought the Lone Power didn't start taking an interest in a wizard until [/I]after[/I] they say the Oath?"), but doesn't neccesarily manifest as himself- way too much energy that he doesn't need to waste.

Actually, it would be really good to see some other Ordeals and get some idea of general wizarding practice that doesn't concern either Nita, Kit, or Dairine. From what we see of them it's a pretty dramatic business, but I'd like to find out whether they are atypical ("there's considerabl;e talent in [Nita's] line...") with their many contacts with the Lone Power in his most personal form, or whether they jsut do it more than others, or whether everyone does it. It's been implied, I think, that Nita and Kit are a bit unusual.

Which brings me to my final point: I think that the Irish wizards were impressed not so much that Nita had met the Lone Power, but Johnny mentioned "The New York infraction, the hudson Canyon intervention, and Dairin Callahan is her sister." These, remember, are the "highlights" of her practice; Nita doesn't run into the Lone Power every day. (at least, not in the big, flafhy, throwing energy around like it's water type meeting. On a smaller, or rather more personal scale, probabaly she does.) We get a couple hints about what Nita and Kit do in the ordinary way of things ina couple of the books; things like negotiation between species, environmental problems.... I'd actually like to see smething that has to do with Kit's speciality sometime. When Johnny mentioned those specific interventions, you get the feeling that these are quite major things nita and Kit have done; the Song of the Tweleve, for example, had pretty major implications for the rest of the planet... so I think it's not neccesarily the presence of the Lone Power; it's more the scale of their early interventions that interests or "impresses" the irish wizards.

*sigh* I feel like I've actually been constructive here... I'm happy.
                      T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                      Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
                      Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
                      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

it does seem that Nita, Kit adn Dairine meet up with th lone power more then other wizards. In Wizards holiday
                        "'They would send someone with whom I have so much history.'It looked disgusted. 'Just common pettiness, that's all it is with Them...'"

This seems to imply that It does not know many wizards as well as Nita and Kit.

"In life's name, adn for lifes sake..."

"Wizardry does not live in the unwilling heart."

"'Kit, the dog just asked me what the meaning of life is.'

'Give him a dog biscut, and tell him it's an allegory.'"
                        "The Second Law of Thermodynamics shows that disorder inevitably tends to increase in the Universe as time passes. Entropy is a measure of this disorder. Living things are not exempt from the Second Law of Thermodynamic

Comment

The feline gatekeepers of Grand Central Station seem to run into him frequently, too.

I suspect that DD tends to tell us about the more exciting encounters, though. A book about the more common ways of combating entropy probably wouldn't sell quite so well. "Here, you dropped your pencil!" or "If I put the blue sock in with the T-shirts, I probably won't find it right away." Of course, I suppose it depends on where the pencil was dropped or how the other blue sock got lost...

Selden
                          Selden

Comment

*cracks up* So true.
                            I picked up a diary today, after someone had dropped it. Either the dropper was mildly deaf or the corridors were really noisy, because I had to chase her up a flight of stairs and down a corridor before she turned around... I might haves saved her some energy, but none of mine- and I was late for my next class. *grins* Ah well, such is life...
                            T

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
                            --Agent M
                            Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
                            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Working...
                            X