• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saint without a cell?

Three signs of the Monomachy:
    a smith without a forge;
    a saint without a cell;
    a day without a night.

I understand the smith without a forge and day without a night, but not the saint without a cell. Can anyone elucidate me about its relevance?

Bob

A saint without a cell... I think I've heard monks / nuns mentioned in conjunction with cells before. Like the cell is the place where they meditate or pray, I think. The cell isn't like a jail, as far as I know, it's just like a holding place. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

(Although in a sense, lots of saints and prophets were martyred, so some of them end up in jail, because the some people didn't like what they said.)

Also: Monomachy? Apparently that means single combat, a duel, or a fight between two people. What that has to do with the signs listed below I don't quite understand... Perhaps referring to the struggle between the light and the dark?

Comment

It sounds like the three signs are prophetic - meaning they're signals that a fight is coming. The single combat-ness of it - probably refers to the large ugly thing vs. the guy with the spear, no?

A smith without a forge - who makes the spear;
      A saint without a cell - who prays? who is indwelt by a power? I'm not sure...
      A day without a night - well, you know...

Comment

Working...
      X