Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is that countdown widget freezing anyone's browser?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is that countdown widget freezing anyone's browser?

Anyone else noticed the main YW.net forum page causing browser freezes? I've had FireFox on my iMac freeze up ("Application not responding") a few times recently, and the only pattern I think I can see is that it happens when I have the forum's main index showing. My hunch is that it's connected with the countdown widget, because that's the only thing actually doing something. However, I have no supporing evidence, and it could all be pure coincidence...
    -- Rick.

Although we don't seem to have ch. 4 yet and the countdown is complete, my MacbookPro handles the page fine without crashing.
    Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
    Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

It seems as though it doesn't take much to freeze up a Mac, but that's a discussion for elsewhere....

I don't have any issues on my HP Pavilion laptop, using Firefox 2.0.0.8, and Windows Vista Home Premium.
      "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Oh, it's not the Mac that freezes, just FireFox, and I strongly suspect Shockwave/Flash is the real culprit. Perhaps I should install NoScript and tell it to block the Flash. That way I'd find out whether it really is the widget causing the trouble...
        -- Rick.

Comment

I'm on a MacBook, and the front page (while it took a while to load) looks fine to me and didn't cause browser crash in either Firefox or Safari. There has been sme problem with Flash and browsers on Intel macs. You might want to try updating, or running Firefox in Rosetta mode (get info/General properties).
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I run Firefox with NoScript, and the countdown widget has never made my computer lock up. I surf ebay a lot, and don't like some of the random wandering scripts they have there; too easy to have someone install nasties on an unprotected computer. NoScript helps a lot with that.

Kli6, be well. We hope the fires all die soon.
            "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
            "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Working...
            X