This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Trigger Words"

When I tried to post in the Atheism topic, my message didn't immediately appear. Instead, in the window that my post was in, I got a message that said:

Your message has been put into a message queue because it contained one or more "trigger words". It will appear in the forum as soon as a moderator has a chance to look it over.
    What are trigger words, and why are posts being censored for content all of a sudden?

I did not say anything offensive, and my post made a good debate.
    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Same thing happened to me with the Iraq War topic.
    Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

The Iraq war topic is locked. I dont know what happend to the other topic maby a member complaind about it.
      The Answer to life the universe and everything: CREW 42!!!!!!!!
      DON'T PANIC!!!!! *two seconds later once the plan does not work* OK PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      I have a spelling problem. SYWTBAW

Comment

Religion and politics are hot button topics the whole world over, and the "Trigger Words" are, apparently a sort of stupid filter that if it seems specific words, blocks your postings until either PM or I (or DD or Lee) can approve them. Apparently "Christian" is one of the words.

I'm working 10 hours a day right now, so I'm barely visiting the board, and not approving them, and PM's apparently being overwhelmed by all of you trolling each other over political and religious views and trying to stop you from calling each other idiots.

All of which is NOT YW-related conversation, anyway, and should probably be happening on other boards that are geared specifically for relgious or political discussion.

My advice would be to start YW-related topics and stick to them.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Huh. I posted in the Iraq War topic as well as the Atheism topic, and neither of my posts were filtered. Christian can't be a filter word if my post went through instantly, can it? I'm confused.

Umm... Iraq war Bush United States US money troops Saddam gay marriage stem cell research abortion? Just testing, here, sorry if that's not okay. [ETA: huh. No error. ???]

Wait, so if it's not YW it shouldn't be here? I understand that the Iraq War debate got out of hand, but if it's civilized and under control and all, I don't really see what's wrong with that. Sure, YW is (or should be) the main topic, but if you want to talk religion or politics, well, that's natural. As for going to another forum, what if you want to know the opinions of the people here?

Comment

Oh, well, if that's the case, I might've hit all of them. XD I talked about atheists, Christians, terrorists, Islam, and bombing abortion clinics... If I ended up offending anyone, I'm sorry; it wasn't intentional. I tried to make it clear that I wasn't making any generalities either.

When it comes to politics, I like to talk here because it usually doesn't get to the level of both parties cussing each other out or flaming people for the thrill of it. Other forums are... all hell and pandemonium.
            Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be posting non-YW-related stuff here, that's going to happen in any online community. But when it becomes the bulk of what gets posted here (and let's face it, the YW-related traffic has almost always been far lower here than it should); it's time to throw out a reminder of what this board is for.

As for the filters, I, as a moderator, am given no information as to what it's triggering off. My personal theory might also be the number of times a word occurs--but I'd really REALLY appreciate it if everybody didn't start running tests to see. I'm getting exceedingly weary of those asterisk-filled conversations in Chime that occur everytime someone finds out about the language censor. Think about why the filter's in place in the first place.

And yes, Gryph, we like this board for its flame-freeness. Part of keeping it that way is to systematically prune back any flammable growth.
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

In the atheist bored, the word that caugh me up was hel l ..

Comment

kathy, your comments made me think about how the board is run.

Perhaps the reason that there is lower YW traffic than normal is because of how YW.com is structured. It comes to mind that when DD is active in responding to questions and up for chats, then the issue of talking about YW seems to be less prevalent, in that answers are almost at hand. This seems to discourage many of the extended discussion of meaning that span 20 pages and are ressurected every so often in the HP forums, because we _usually_ get an answer come next chat.

But at the same time, I greatly hope that this system does NOT change, because while discussion may be lower than other series, it still exists, and is more friendly and more conclusive than the all-out flame-wars that go one with say, HP shipping and the like. And of course, personally talking to their favorite is something that few other readers can claim; if this system were to be revoked, many people here would probably be extremely sad...even if they RSVP and don't show up to chats.
                  Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
                  Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

Okay, i posted in yogr last night, and i was posting there to SEE what would happen if i were to post what i posted. And it did get filtered. So it must have something to do with which words are in there. Like, i didnt use any cuss word. But there was blowing up Canada, and other stupid stuff from a friend in my head. If this distrubed some ppl, sorry, but i was just trying to find out what it would be, and oblivously, it was some of those words in that post. I had, had my post in togr, like 2 weeks ago sent out for Mod checking, and i think that was the first time it happened. Im not maybe it wasnt. And basically in that post, all i was saying was that i was sorry to Monkey for insulting her in some way. And it flitered that..or triggered it. Well, i dunno what the trigger words are, but ...im not sure myself.

T00dl3ys all, Tori
                    Love and be loved

Comment

Working...
                    X