Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is anyone knew having problems with the email digests?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is anyone knew having problems with the email digests?

I'm having a bit of a problem with the daily email digest for the site, and i'm wondering if anyone else has it too...i'm getting the emails from the twenty first today, when i should be getting emails from the twenty third...it's getting rather confusing finding that someone did a message in some topic, and going there only to find out that the person posted it days ago and i already replied (not that it's any better getting my own emails from days past sent to me...:P)
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

It sounds as though you have it in weekly digest, and not daily digest. Maybe you just checked the wrong option nearby. Check that out.

I don't know very much about the daily/weekly digests, since I have my notifications on Instant (my secret for posting so very fast whenever other people post ). But it sounds like you accidentally clicked a nearby option that wasn't what you were meaning to click.
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

I've been having problems with it too. I get emails for messages that were made weeks or months ago. It is very confusing. I thought it was just me. I'm glad someone else mentioned it.
      Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
      Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

BTW, guys, using email notifications does significantly increase bandwidth usage for the site. Make sure you really need it if you've got it turned on, and weekly digests might put a little less wear and tear on the server than daily or immediate notification.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

*Sighs in relief* I thought I was going to have to double-post.

I just thought of something. A way of significantly reducing the bandwidth used with Email notifications. Is there a way to change the Emailing structure so it only sends ONE notification, and after that one you have to visit the thread it's notifying you for before you can get more notifications? So instead of the system sending out an Email to subscribers every single time a thread is replied to, it'd only send out one, and then wait until they click the link in the Email to send out another notification Email? Sites with the vBulletin system work like this, so I'm sure Eve can accommodate that change.

Besides, it can be a big pain to pick through Emails, deleting the repeat notifications for one thread for different people.

That'd significantly decrease bandwidth usages. It's a suggestion, admins, just a suggestion, so if for some significant reason it can't work... again, it was a suggestion. A suggestion on the assumption that Eve can have its settings changed to do that.
          "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

On other forums I've been registered on that's what the system is like. We only get one notification. If you get two or so then you don't get anymore until you visit the site again. I never once thought about that as decreasing bandwidth though.
            Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
            Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

OK, now all we have to wait for is an admin coming in and crush the great idea by saying it's not possible, or (for some WEIRD reason!) say it's a bad idea.

However, if it IS possible to make such a setting to the Eve system, then we have significantly reduced the bandwidth of the site.

But if it's not possible... have Lee take it to Eve. Have them update the software to accommodate that option (but don't tell them WHY you want such an option, as they wouldn't be making as much money, and they wouldn't like that, right? )

Comment

Yes, Eric, the incredibly WEIRD reason that it's not possible is that that feature isn't in the board software. The only capability I have is turning on your ability to have a digest emailed to you. We don't write or debug or hack the board software, because we're busy people who have more than enough to do with maintaining and moderating the site as it stands. Not to mention it's Groupee's job.

You may want to try writing a program or two before making these types of suggestions.

As for taking it to Eve--Lee's already tried to get bugs fixed by them and they've been unresponsive. Not sure how much better a feature request would fare. You may want to go to the Groupee site yourself and do some poking about.
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I never said anything about hacking the forum software! I said if adjusting the Emailing system is possible, let's do so, and if it's not, take it to Eve. I said nothing about hacking the system, and even if we did decide to to hack it, I wouldn't expect it to fall on you, Lee, and Garrett.

Comment

ok, never mind waht was previously posted in this post: the daily digest is as insane as ever.
                    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Working...
                    X