This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are two new members lists...

I was just looking at the new users page, the one on the Forums page. I then went looking at the new users page on the main Eve page, and the list on the Eve page excludes a few members. I was confused, and went back to the list of new members on the new members list on the Forums page, and sure enough, a few of the ones on the top of the list aren't shown in the list on the main Eve page.

I understand that the list on the main Eve page is longer. It has more lines of users than the ones on the Forums page. However, the top five or so on the lists are different.

Thanks.
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Sorry for a double-post, but I really have no choice....

Does anyone know anything about this issue?

It seems to me as though the new member list on Youngwizards.net/eve/forums shows more members, because if I look on that list, and then look at the list at Youngwizards.net/eve, some names are missing on the one at Youngwizards.net/eve.

The reason I really want to know is that I send every new member a message giving an introduction to what is here (the forums, DD chats, chapters of upcoming books, etc.) and give a brief overview of the rules (avatar and signature rules in particular). I just want to know which list I should refer to when I send the new members that introductory message. And it seems as though this helps... we have less newbies disobeying the rules, right? I also offer them the opportunity to ask me a question via the private message, rather than create a whole topic in the forums or whatever.
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Well, first, it's great that you tell all the noobs the basic rules, even though you already know that. I think it might be that the members that aren't active aren't posted, or it could just be that it isn't updated as often. I'm not really sure, so you might want to put it on the mini chat on www.youngwizards.com/eve/forums
      "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
      -Terry Pratchett
      Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

Sorry, I don't think you read my question carefully.... If members that weren't active weren't displayed, then why are they displayed in one new members list but not the other?

The "mini-chat" is officially the "shoutbox". If it was named "mini-chat", people would try and hold live conversations with it, which the admins don't want.

Comment

I did read it right, I probably just didn't phrase it right. I meant that one page shows all the members, but the other one is too full of information, so it only chooses to display the more active members.
          Oh, and what's the difference 'tween the shoutbox and the PMing? Is the only difference that everyone can see it?
          -Terry Pratchett

Comment

GASP! One of the members that WAS on the list at Youngwizards.net/eve/forums and was NOT on the list at youngwizards.net/eve just appeared at the one at youngwizards.net/eve!

I have come to the conclusion that the list at Youngwizards.net/eve/forums shows ALL new members. Whether they're approved (we all have gone through that tedious waiting period ) or not, they're on that list. However, the list at Youngwizards.net/eve shows all new members that have been APPROVED.

Having this in mind, I should use the one at Youngwizards.net/eve/forums, to send them the message before they're approved and posting.

Admins, any more suggestions or other input on this conclusion that I've come up with?

Oh, vashmata, they're not "noobs". They're "newbies". Because as I have once learned in chat, a noob is someone who is not new but acts like they are, ignoring and disobeying rules, etc. The newly-registered people I'm dealing with are newbies, because they haven't even had a chance to disobey rules. Nobody here knows them. The conclusion: these people aren't noobs.

Comment

Double-posting again, this is killing me! *Headdesk*

Admins! Please! Which list should I refer to? I've been going off of the one at Youngwizards.net/eve, and that seems to cover all the new members... but why do some users appear on the one at Youngwizards.net/eve/forums that don't at Youngwizards.net/eve?

Comment

I see you're ranting so much, but why don't you just PM someone? It might be easier, seeing as no one is discussing this except for us.
                Edit
                Darn! A one liner! Umm... Just use both lists, huh? Isn't it easier than ranting?
                -Terry Pratchett

Comment

Eric use the youngwizards.net/eve/forums one. Because on youngwizards.net/eve there's the new people plus all the previous new ones that were just added. On youngwizards.net/eve/forums it's just the recently added ones. On this page it's the people who just signed up on the previous page its people who just signed up added with people who just signed up a week or two or more ago. Do you understand what I was trying to say? I don't know if I make sense myself but just use youngwizards.net/eve/forums.
                  Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                  Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                  It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                  Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

I do know what you mean, Emi. The one at /eve/forums is shorter, therefore shows more recent registrations. But I said before, some names appear at the /eve/forums one that DON'T appear at the /eve one. There's an inconsistency right now, as a matter of fact. Check this out:

List at /eve/: (NOTE: This isn't the WHOLE list, just the first several names)

KJ_A
                    Tintinabulathon
                    Batyah
                    WorldWizard
                    Bronzeash
                    ficherman1992

Now, the list at /eve/forums:

KJ_A
                    Tintinabulathon
                    DerekT
                    mollymack
                    Batyah
                    WorldWizard
                    Bronzeash

Notice in the /eve/forums one, the list has two names that the /eve list does not: DerekT and mollymack.

OK, now does everyone stand the strange difference I'm talking about?

Comment

Maybe you just missed the names.
                      Anyways, either you can use both pages, or just use the first one- heres my theory:

*newest and week-old members* "void of other guys" *newest members*
                      ....................Eve........................... ....????.................Eve/Forums
                      -Terry Pratchett

Comment

I directly copied and pasted the lists - see for yourself. Or, if you don't trust my copying and pasting skills, just open each list in different tabs and jump between them, and you'll see the... inconsistencies... with the names.

Comment

Working...
                        X