This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for the reduction of space usage here

I was unsure where to put this... Chatter II isn't completely the best place. The best place for it is probably "messages from the forum administrator" but I'm not Lee (nor do I want to try and be) so I guess this is the best alternative. If Lee, Garrett, or Kathy decide that it's definitely worthwhile (which I think they will), then they can put it in the "messages from the forum administrator" section where it'll be more noticeable.

I was just thinking, all members, have you been through your private messages lately? Are there conversations in there that are not ongoing, not really important, or maybe you sent it to someone, maybe a new member, and they never replied back? Well, these messages could be deleted. I read at the bottom of the private messaging page, if you're the "host", meaning you created the topic, then if you delete it, it'll be deleted forever for everyone who's participating in it. So if you delete messages you don't need anymore that you started, that would noticeably reduce storage use of Youngwizards.net. Just be sure whoever is participating in the conversation that it's OK with them for it to be deleted, and if the thread's important to them, let them save it to their computers**, then delete it. And even if you're NOT the "host", post a message in the topic asking the person who IS "host" to delete it, if it's OK with them.

I got thinking of the large amount of wasted space these messages add up to. If we all delete unwanted/unneeded private topics... that's a lot of deletion. I deleted four of five topics today that had either served their purpose or the invited person(s) never replied to them.

Admins: it'd be neat if you could keep track of the amount of space we're using now, and after we start deleting unwanted messages, we can see the meaningfulness of our efforts.

So let's try to do that! Yet another thing we can do to try and help DD out with the site upkeep bill (actually, it's helping ourselves as well because we're paying for the upkeep with the ChipIn widget).

**In Firefox, to do this, click File, Save Page As. For Safari for Windows, File, Save As. For Internet Explorer 7, click the Page botton (to the left of the Tools button), Save As. Then choose where you want the HTML file to be saved to, and hit save.
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

I moved this thread to the Newbie Zone, since this is the place where we tend to cover board issues and policies.

I think it's a good idea to clean out private message areas. Maybe archiving them to off-site files if they're old and then dumping them. But this is definitely something that's up to an individual's choice and shouldn't be a board policy.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Certainly not; if people want to keep the conversations, there's no harm done in that. But I think enough people will have enough conversations they'll willingly delete that it'll make a noticeable difference in the space usage here.

Hmm, it never occurred to me to put this in the Newbie Zone. Yes, I agree; I think this is a very good place for it. You have great thread-placing skills!
      "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Working...
      X