This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtain Opens: Enter Newbie

<span class="ev_code_purple">Okay, I really don't do that much acting but that's been my opening line for a while now. . .

Dai stihó, everyone. It's been a while since I've walked into a fandom not knowing anyone. I have no clue how to do these anymore!

Well, to start with, I'm Kes. I am paranoid so age and location are going to stay a bit of a mystery. My favorite of the Young Wizard books is probably A Wizard Abroad which I'm rereading now. Generally I read fantasy books but I'm also rather fond of sci-fi or really just anything with words. I'm a member of the Tamora Pierce fandom and an former member of the Harry Potter forum.

I have a fairly open mind and am a bit curious to what the rules for discussing certain hot topics are in both relation to the books and the Chatter II forum.

Finally, I would also like to ask if this whole coloured text thing (if the coding works out ^_^) is a no on this board.

Thanks for any and all help. (And yes, I've read the Board FAQ and was highly amused by the last question.)</span>

Dai stihó, cousin and Welcome to the crazyness that is the YW boards! I'm Alla, one of the Australians on the boards.

Discussing hot topics, such as politics and so on? Never too much of a problem. The topics usually come up from time to time. Most of us here are pretty smart, and can notice other people's opinions without feeling the need to flame them for them. Usual courtesies apply and so on. Feel free to join in the discussion.

Dunno about the coloured text thing. Most people can never be bothered with it. Its just an extra thing to do when you're posting

Anyway, hope you enjoy yourself here and don't forget to duck into the chat from time to time. Most of our "normal" discussions go on in there.

Alla

Comment

True about the colour thing. I'm not too fond of the ones available.

Thank you for the welcome.

I have another question though. Is there anyway to increase my viewing limit of post per page? Right now I'm viewing 20 and my preference is for 100.

Comment

Dai, I'm Agent M, or M, usually M... lol *waves*I don't think there's any way to change the viewing... I've never actually thought of that before... heh
        lol, but I know about about hot topics: We don't actually talk about the YW books that often... not unless a new one is coming out or something. We tend to talk about politics a lot... or just random stuff about what's happening with people... But if anything gets too heated up, in something that would probably end up in a fist fight in "real life", the administrator, Lee, comes in and tells us to quit it. That's only happened a few times though. And short posts, as in less than about four sentences: bad. lol, DD has to pay for these, I don't know exactly how, but she's lectured us many times about short posts.... And so we created Poot Poot is the demon of the forums and he comes and eats you if your posts are too short Btw, if you have anything totally random to say and it doesn't fit in one of the topics (eg: Movies, Books, etc) then post in in the Topic of Great Randomness. Brilliant idea and it really helps you with staying on the good side of kli... she and Peter Murray are "Senior Members" and they have the right to move or edit posts... kli tends to do that more often than PM. But we love her, *bows to kli*
        I'm probably missing some stuff, I've only recently started posting again... I'm one of the oldest people on the site and the stuff we used to tell newbies has changed since then... we used to have a newbie pack, lol. Invented by Birdhead who doesn't come on that much anymore... It gave you a "Get away from Aurie" free card... yeah, but Aurora never comes on anymore... but muffins are still relevant and we had those, so, have a muffin! *gives Kes a muffin* yes, we're weird like that
        *Agent~M*
        "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
        "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
        "I could live

Comment

Heyyy Kes. *huggles* I'm Gryph, one of the mighty oldbies.

We don't have too many rules. Umm... no one liners or short posts, try to keep up your writing standards, that sort of thing. The reason we're concerned about short posts is that Diane Duane (DD) pays for all of this. (Thank you! *huggles* ) Also, come to the chat. The rules there are loose; we don't care how much your text is riddled with chat speach, but again, DD pays for that by line, so no blank lines.

We talk about _everything_ here. The best and biggest topic is The Topic of Great Randomness, a topic where all of everything is concentrated. Usually it'd help if you tried to stay on topic, but at the Togr, be off topic to your heart's content. XD Or whatever.

As for color... ehh... I don't like purple, and I think that's the only problem (nuuu, actually it goes with the white/ blue theme).

Pretty avie.

Oh, and this guy : XD is like a smiley, with the D being the huge grin, and the X being the eyes thinking something's incredibly funny (or whatever other purpose the smiley is put to).

What Alla said; there's no hostility (usually).

Heh. Normal. XDDD Us normal. Not a chance.

Kes: I don't think so. I've never even thought about that. XD Some topics never get too big, but I suppose if you were trying to read the Togr from beginning to end, it might make it feel a little less daunting. (What're we at, 467 pages?)

Aurie still comes on and talks about music/ life. XD Not as often as she used to, but sometimes she pops into the chat.

Oooh, ranks! Underneath everyone's username, it'll say something like "New Member" or "Very Senior Member." Those're based off your post count. When someone says "newbie," "midbie," or "oldbie" they're usually going by how they think of you, how frequently you post & visit chat, that sort of think. You're only a n00b if you're the annoying sort of newbie.

DD Chats! About once a month, DD'll spend an hour chatting with the members. You can ask anything. I think she'd prefer book questions, but we either run out of them or ask ones that we won't get answers for, so even in chat, we get off topic. XD

I probably missed something, but whatever. Feel welcome & huggled. XD
          Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Working...
          X