What does food think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does food think?

I'm not a wizard, but I am a priest, and a vegetarian at that. I do wonder though, if in the YW universe everything is basically "Alive", in that it all possesses a consciousness of sorts, what do the things we take for granted as being alive think when we eat them? Say, salads or hamburgers?

There's mention of this in one or more of the books. Something about lettuce being left to wilt in the fridge, I think, and that, given that it's already in the store, it's unhappy about not fulfilling it's purpose when it gets thrown away instead of being eaten? ahh, here's a DD tumblr post:

http://dduane.tumblr.com/post/922428...s-and-such-did

Also, I believe there's some apprehension about carving pumpkins in the short story "Not on My Patch" so that's another one to read for ideas about the wizard's relationship to food.

Also, I recall that Filif eventually comes to an understanding that the trees and other vegetation & such on our planet aren't the same as his - there is some sentience, yes, but not like Filif. Somehow there's a hierarchy and the plants are there, in a sense, their purpose, which they can choose to embrace or not (as the Rowan explained to Nita in the first book!) is to prepare for and serve and be governed by - and taken care of - by the people?

Comment

Working...
    X