This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Name Suffixes

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Here are the suffixes!

~Kun- friendly familiarity w/ someone on the same level or younger. Cuteness, usually used on guys.

~Chan- female equiv of "kun".

~San- respect used among peers who are not on the same level

~Sama- great level of respect/admiration- used to someone much older or of higher standing

~Senpai- upperclassman; someone in an organization who has more experience

~Kohai- underclassman

~Sensei- teacher; mentor-figure; master of a trade

~jo- formal way of addressing young girls of high standing. (Miss)

~joshi- equivalent of -jo, used for young women. (Ms.)</span>
    "People...stop being mean to each other. Especially for the sake of laughs. IT SPEEDS UP ENTROPY." -Diane Duane

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Here are the suffixes!

~Kun- friendly familiarity w/ someone on the same level or younger. Cuteness, usually used on guys.

~Chan- female equiv of "kun".

~San- respect used among peers who are not on the same level

~Sama- great level of respect/admiration- used to someone much older or of higher standing

~Senpai- upperclassman; someone in an organization who has more experience

~Kohai- underclassman

~Sensei- teacher; mentor-figure; master of a trade

~jo- formal way of addressing young girls of high standing. (Miss)

~joshi- equivalent of -jo, used for young women. (Ms.)</span>
    "People...stop being mean to each other. Especially for the sake of laughs. IT SPEEDS UP ENTROPY." -Diane Duane

Comment

Hey, that's a neat guide, Rhya. Thanks. I'm already familiar with senpai and sensei (I'm senpai to all o' ya'll!), and some members use chan and san a lot.

Rhyachansansomething.

Senpai Gryphon!
      Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

You're welcome. In reading the topic of great randomness I have come across refrences to suffixes, and decided to post what I have.
        The only way that I know them is from reading Clamp School Detectives. Clamp has a guide in their book that I copied down/transliterated for future refrence. I hope they come in handy for everyone!

Comment

Hey!!!! You forgot my favorite Japanese word. It may not be even uses on this site, but it should be!!
          And the word is...... Kawai!! It means cool or sweet or cute or charming.
          But the other words that you listed are quite useful!! I hadnever known what "kohai" or "senpai" meant, thanx!!

______

I love you, Seto-sama!
          Behold, the ultimate power!

Comment

KAWAII! We use kawaii. We used to have a kawaii bunny icon. It was wonderful.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> (I'm senpai to all o' ya'll!) </div>[quote] Er. Pardon? Especially on the behalf of Ella, wherever she is...
            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

So my favorite word IS used on this site! Yay!
              Well, it's reasonable if it's a cool word, on this cool site.
              I'm so glad to help
              ....If I did....

Comment

Heyyy, Kaiba! Saw you in shoutbox.

We put together a couple of topics in the newbie help forum if you want to check any out. Usually we have to breif the newbies about caps, no chat speach, all of that in the forums, but you're pretty good about that. In the chat, if you can get into it, you won't have to worry about the caps & etc.

Tui = Birdhead, by the way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tui:
                Er. Pardon? Especially on the behalf of Ella, wherever she is... </div>[quote]
                ...mighty orange belt gryphish...

Ella-sama. Tui-sama. Howzzat?
                Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Cool suffixes, i dont think i'm anything but joshi but o well.!!
                  Dai stiho cousins
                  ~~~Ezra

Comment

Gryph-chan, isn't using -sama like saying, "My lord/lady"? I think I'd save that one for Lee or DD.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

*sniffs* Speak for yourself, Kathy, I rather like it...

... kidding, kidding. Mostly.
                      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Oh yes, miss high and mighty tui-sama, we all bow before you and fear to speak your name. Sorry bout the one linerness, but I had to say that.
                        The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
                        I promise not to funfun anymore
                        Be happy cause life is good

Comment

Thank you! Thank you! People use these all the time in Yu-Gi-Oh fanfiction, and I get totally lost. (Also see my post in the new shipper topic). This is a great, simple, comprehensive guide. *ponders* Maybe we should start calling PM and Kli PM-sama and Kli-sama, since their promotion. Once again, thank you.
                          Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
                          "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
                          "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

what you guys were talking about using kawaii; you know you can use--unsure about double t's in"katt"--kattkawaii. It means very cute or really cute.....yeah.
                            ~~~~---------------~~~~~
                            sweetbox!!!~

Comment

Working...
                            X