This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books FAQ discussion

For discussing additions to the Books FAQ.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Wizards at War is now scheduled for October 2005.

Comment

hi! it's me the hyper, yet perfectly sane(for now anyway) newbie!!!!!!I heard that Wizards at War is going to be out spring 2005?!?!?!my sources might be wrong(they usually are
      *sheepish grin*)
      well...I gotta go!!!!!!!!!
      biy biy!

PettyPembo

Comment

Originally posted by kli6:
        No word on when A Wizard of Mars is going to be released, but DD has mentioned in chat that it's been turned into the publisher.
        Word from the last chat or so seems to be that it's aiming for a Spring 2007 publication.
        Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
        Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

Huh. Hadn't realized this thread was closed. Anyhoo, thanks for the note Sean, I've added it to the Book FAQ. I moved your message over here, because I've decided I want the FAQs to be uncluttered by discussion to make it easier for a newbie to read through.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Ah, yes, I forgot to add a separate line to say, delete this post and add it in this faq....

but glad to have contributed.
            Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
            Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

Hey, anything that makes my job easier, I greatly appreciate. And I think the real strength of the internet comes from distributed tasking. Everybody adds one piece of information they know about movies into a centralized area, and wham, you get the Internet Movie Database. Everybody adds one piece of information they know about anything, and you get Wikipedia. Having friends help out is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by kli6:
                Q: So, when's the next YW book coming out? And what's DD working on now?

The best place to check for this information is the Book News page.

No word on when A Wizard of Mars is going to be released (althought Spring 2007 is likely), but DD has mentioned in chat that it's been turned into the publisher.

The next book DD is writing is the fifth "Rihannsu" Star Trek book: The Empty Chair.

The Out of Ambit blog sometimes updates with what she's currently working on.

Thanks to Sean L. for the WoM release date. --kli
                Wasn't it Autumn 2006?

Comment

Yes, it was, but it's more convenient for DD if she hands in the manuscripts in time for Spring publication. AWOM can't come out in Spring 2006, so Spring 2007 is a likely publication date, if Harcourt agree.
                  Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Kil6- you kn ow you do this to me all the time... It is saying that you can't do one liners becouse it is wasting DDs money! well to day is my day becouse you posted a one liner MOOOO_HAAAAA!

Comment

SPOILER WARNING!!! OK, I have a question, but I'm not sure if it falls under this, but what the heck. [Dairine's dream near the end of WAW, ya know the one with Logo, did that have anything to do with Roshaun?] I was kinda confused by it.

[edited spoilers to white so they can only be read when selected. --kli]
                      --May we go where errantry takes us,doing Their business and the Ones, and when we meet Him say "Fairest and Fallen, greeting and defiance!"

Comment

Slash: Hey, I haven't warned you for ... hours!! But from now on, I shall get my revenge by warning you out on the board, and not in PM!!!! Bwah-hahahahahaha!!!!! [just kidding--thanks for making an effort to cut the one-liners down!]

You might want to note that I made that post back in October, and that if you do searches around here, even DD has posted one-liners.

Essentially what's going on is that we simplified the rule from no one-liners with no substance to no one-liners, because most newbies were having difficulty figuring out what "substance" meant in a posting. And it's something that comes with experience, because in real life everybody always thinks that what they have to say has substance.

Essentially, on a board, substance is stuff that other people can discuss. The number and length of the replies to a post are a rough indication of its "substance" in a board discussion. Did other people have anything to say in reply? This is why a "me, too!" post is seen as a waste of board space and a no-no--there's no real way to reply to it (other than the dread cascading "me, too!" avalanche that's sure to follow which is just boring to read).

"___ sucks!" is another one you see fairly commonly. The other (mostly unintended) effect of a one-liner is to say, "I'm bored. Entertain me. But I can't be bothered to think of anything to write."

Basically, a one-liner is often just the start of a post. If you follow it up with a why, reasons, or some facts to support what you're saying, then you can give folks other things to latch on to when they make their replies.

Wizardgirl06: I'm confused as well. You may want to try the WAW spoiler forum (it's listed at the top of the gateway page) to see what everybody else had to say about it.

Comment

Well I thought it was:

Dai stiho: Die shalto
                          Dairin: dar-nee

Comment

Working...
                          X