No announcement yet.

A YW movie? all the horrible things that could happen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Eldest...yeah, that would be one sweet puppet. I think they'd have better luck with animation. They can make really realistic things these days, sorry for bringing it up again, but think Saphira in Eragon. Minus the weird feathers, of course. They could put a metal skeleton thing like they did in Eragon where the Eldest would be standing, or sitting, whatever, so the actors would know where to look.
    I love the bit of dialogue DD gave! Can't wait to see FRED! He RULES!
    "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

But

Remember jurassic park those were metal skelatons with synthetic skin and it still was good and also if sywtbaw became tv show (which I really hope not) they could make it like sanctuary on syfy that show is all green screen and in my opinion was good

Comment

Originally posted by SilveredBlue View Post
        Yes, I know what you mean about Eragon brown hair/blond hair...I was so disappointed with the movie. And Saphira had FEATHERS! grumblegrumble.

Back on topic. I think that since DD has been IN the industry so much, as had been said, that she won't fall for any of the traps that killed Eragon- or really any of those horrid book-to-movie-'s. And I totally love the script too! The only thing that could go wrong would be the actors having the wrong faces, as in the old, BBC version of Narnia. Luckily the new Narnia fixed that.
        See, I liked the feathered dragon. I thought she was quite cute. Eragon had worse problems than imagery. I found the dialogue much worse than the scenery.

Did you see the BBC version of Narnia first? Because I always enjoyed them - they're more faithful to the books than the new Disney versions. I never thought that the actors had the wrong faces. The biggest thing was that all the actors were around the same age, while Disney was actually able to use actors closer to the real age of the characters.

Jurassic Park was awesome because they used puppets, rather than CG. It made it seem so much more real

I don't think that using pure greenscreen for something that is so based in this world (i.e. mentioning landmarks and locations) would be a good idea. It'd be so much cooler if they used location filming .

I'd be curious as to how they're going to bring it forward from the 1980s setting that it has, though. Would Joanne have a new iPod instead of a new bike? Would Dairine still be such a Star Wars fan for the original trilogy? Or Would it be advanced to the prequel trilogy as well?

Comment

But

Even so how else are they going to make the 'other' manhattan to be just like in the book dirty and perpetually dark also who is going to play the lone one that is a big question I can't really visualize him as a new actor but also can't see him as a major one either any ideas

Comment

The "other Manhattan" could be CGed, but then again, its meant to seem unreal. I know that I would prefer to see at least this world stuff real, rather than CGed. In my opinion, having the actors play infront of a green screen is a copout, and never seems as real as location filming - especially when things don't need to be full of weird and wonderful special effects and unreal space stuff. It might be an option for High Wizardry and further into the series - or if they are going to CG it, they should do it completely, like how they did Beowulf?

Heading further into the series, Deep Wizardry would have to be CG for everything under the water - would make jumping back and forward from real and unreal as Nita and Kit associate with the whales and Nita's parents.

Comment

Yes

But as someone else has said who is Freds voice and better yet eds I mean how are they going to make a replica of a prehistoric shark talk also the speech what language is it going to be arabic I seriously doubt any real actors know how to describe the speech with the fluency like in the book

Comment

I do think they should try and modernize the movie, but one of the biggest challenges in modernization (is that a word?) would be the Pan Am building. What could they do for that?
                NO GREENSCREENS! There's something about them -- they're just fake. You can tell.
                For Dark Manhattan, I think they should use a LOT of animation -- think Transformers-type, even though I didn't like that movie, the animation was awesome -- for the cars, helicopter, and other machines that come to life.
                "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

Yeah

But they also have another problem the horde of cabs and the lotus esprit how would they get the funding for all those cars

Comment

I'm not really worried about the effects much. At the end of the day, I think what really makes a movie spectacular is the dialogue and interplay between characters; with DD handling the screenplay, I don't see how it could possible go wrong

I mean yeah, I really did like what they did with Saphira too, which actually dispells my fears about how Fred or the cabs or whatever may not turn out well. I didn't actually really enjoy the book, and my reasoning is, if they could make a movie that looked good from Eragon, then YW should be a piece of cake. Pretty flimsy maybe, when you realize that's there's little to no correlation between the two, but nevertheless.

What I AM concerned about are the actors; I really hope they pick a couple of unknowns for Kit and Nita. I've always been able to relate to the two, and if they picked someone like (AAAAAAH) the aforementioned Miley Cyrus, I'd be depressed for months. I don't really mind if they decide to cast actors/actresses for Kit and Nita's immediate family, but I'd rather they didn't, to keep in line with the whole idea of them being just like us.
                    "To see a candle's flame, you must take it to a dark place." - The Farthest Shore

Comment

Miley Cyrus is too old - she'll be 18 next year. I'd be more worried about someone like Dakota Fanning...

Horde of cabs is easy - just hire some cabs to drive around - this though, is why the Dark Manhattan would use more CGing.

Transformers did use real cars for when they were cars, though. That was awesome - imagine being the driver of Optimus Prime's Semi Trailer. It would have been sooo much fun

I don't think they would have to modernise a building - its still the same building after all (and besides, asides from 1970s office buildings, old buildings are prettier than new . I hate "architectural design" - it always ends up with an ugly building...)

Comment

For the cabs, just get those remote controlled cars. (The big, normal car sized ones) That way, there won't be people in the Dark Manhattan. In my opinion, there shouldn't be a movie. If it came out, and something about it sucked, that wuold be all I could think about when I think about the series.....
                        All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

I think that the best movies are the ones that stick as close to the book as possible but still manage to put something unique in.

And as long as DD has control, then I trust that whatever they turn out will be a faithful representation.

My biggest issue with books turned movies is when they just use the names and location, but change everything else. I can't remember if I have vented about T*Witches. But that movie (I refuse to acknowledge the sequel) was terrible! They were too old, and they didn't stick to the plot at all. The Darkness? Ugh. Okay, I need to stop. I saw pretty much the same thing with Eragon. They took just enough to keep it titled as Eragon, and that was about it. It made me sad because they could have done so much with it.

Either way, whether or not there is a movie, I can deal. Her books are good enough in my head that I don't feel the need to see them on the silver screen, that if they do make it there, it will be like a treat.

Comment

Yeah...and these movies wouldn't be coming to theatres for a few years, since they're still in such an early stage of developement.
                            I completely trust DD with the screenplay, it's the actors I'm worried about...though didn't DD say in the FAQ about the movie that she was hoping for unknowns as Nita and Kit? Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by estar9821 View Post
                              Yeah...and these movies wouldn't be coming to theatres for a few years, since they're still in such an early stage of developement.
                              I completely trust DD with the screenplay, it's the actors I'm worried about...though didn't DD say in the FAQ about the movie that she was hoping for unknowns as Nita and Kit? Yay!
                              I think -and DD thinks- using unknowns would be perfect if there was ever a movie to be made. When Harry Potter was made, they purposefully went out to find unknowns, which was awesome, because it wasn't the usual "pretty boy" movie. The characters become more real, that way. I mean yes, Neville probably doesn't look anything like any of us imagined now that he's all grown up (can't be a pudgeball forever, now can he?) but I'm not saying Nita and Kit should be "ugly," either. Just... plain? I can't say "normal" - because that word means nothing in Hollywoodland. But I guess rather, some-kid-picked-off-the-street look would be nice. I don't much care for Abagail Breslin to play Nita or Dair, even if she can be cute.
                              ..................~*Wolf*~..................
                              AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
                              Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X