Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me something to draw

A creative exercise :P

Like the title says, give me something to draw. I've been in a major art slump lately >< but it's always fun to try something a little different. Give me anything... mostly I do people, fantasy art, or things from observation. For example, if you have a story in mind, describe a character, and I'll draw it for you. Or really anything. :P Pick two or three animals, and I'll merge them.

Also, if you want to join in trying to draw something, go ahead. welcome creative minds

[Edits:]
    <span class="ev_code_RED">Please send me all descriptions in PM or to my deviantart!!!</span> (See Kli's message). Kinda good timing actually because I just got a devart. Feel free to add me. I'm mariposa-mentirosa. Thanks, all!
    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Gryphon, I'm going to PM my description to you. I don't want to cause any problems.
    Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
    Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

Errr... guys, this topic is making me a little nervous, as it's walking that fiction line. I do have to caution you not to put any actual stories here, and the level of detail in the character description is making me a little antsy. DD could possibly read this and then end up in some weird legal situation if she ended up putting a similar character into a YW book (or even just decided to have a character with a single characteristic/feature in common).

Gryph, is there an off-board place you could make this request (like, say on deviantart?) and then link to from here? Or maybe have folks PM you with their descriptions instead, and just notify you here? I know it's a colossal pain, but we are trying to keep fiction writing of any kind off this board.
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

So what should we do then? If we can't post it on here where do we post it?
        I'll edit the post if that's what you really want me to do.

Comment

Well, I was ok with leaving it whited out for the meantime, I just didn't think it would be useful to have an entire thread filled with whited-out posts, and I don't think most folks will be posting such extensive and detailed character descriptions.

I think if it's a generic request, say "a turtle" or something, it's ok to post. But if it's an original character of your own, and you think your description could be walking the fiction borderline, then PMing Gryph might be the better course.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Ok, I will PM you Gryph if I think of something, and this is a great topic! I like to draw stufff too, but I never seem to know what to do. Have you done scenes from books? Or something like that? In my art class we did this doodle project. It was surprising how amazing they turned out. We each filled an entire page with them. I don't thinkk that that suggestion was bad for showing up in the thread, right?
            "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

Here's one for Krist. Girl with Red Hair Thanks for the subject!

I like doing this

Mmm... I've never done that before. Maybe I could open up a book to a random page and try to draw the scene in play.

I have two more requests pending, but guys, really, feel free to send me things to illustrate. I have major studying to do; these make good interruptions.

haha, and if anyone'd like to buy me a scanner, I'd love them forever. XDD
              Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Gryphon: Diane and Will Stanton at Heathrow. :-)

http://yuletidetreasure.org/archive/...pirations.html
                "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Are you still going to draw my character? I was just wondering because I haven't gotten a private message response from you, and you haven't mentioned it in the topic.

Comment

Yup, Spyells, I will. :P Yours was the first that I got, but you wrote so much that I wanted to do your description justice. School's been getting in the way majorly, but today is my last and only final (gym), so after my test, I'll have time to do more of these. I hope I don't let you down.

Also, two requests are up on dev art. I titled Krist's request "Doused Fire," and Sean's request is "Sinister Queen."

I mentioned the mural a few times in Togr. My art club has been working on it for several months, and we just finished this Tuesday. I took a picture of it and put it up on my devart also. Please check it out! I'm so proud. Everyone who worked on it, I <3 them so much, and all of the effort they put into it.

Comment

Thank you. I hope I gave you a good enough description to draw him. I have been trying to learn how to draw by using those dummy and idiot guides. But even though I've made improvement, I still can't make my character come to life on paper.

Comment

Improvement is good! Keep drawing! For the human figure (or, well, most things in general), sometimes it helps to draw from observation first. It's tedious and boring, but... you really get something out of it. I have one of the wooden guys, but I think it's more fun to draw real people -- even though they usually don't end up looking just like them (it's tricky because you need to capture the details of the eyes, the lips, and creating the face dimension before you've figured out shading is an ordeal). Mmm... sometimes it's hard to get things proportioned right and the whole spatial aspect... some artists hold up the pencil that they're drawing with up to their subject and try to figure out ratios. Ie: you'd "measure" forehead to chin by sliding your thumb to match what the length appears to be, and then you'd figure out the ratio between that and total height of the person. (aaa, I think I worded that really weird, so it's probably confusing).

Anyway, really, anyone with any interest in art: keep drawing! You will continually get better

Comment

Gryph, if you completely run out of stuff to draw, you could work your way through Kimon Nicolaides's The Natural Way to Draw. It always strikes me as the visual artist's analog to what John Gardner's The Art of Fiction is for writers.

Comment

This is a really cool idea! Do you think you could draw one for me? A girl and boy standing side by side. The girl is 12-14 and the boy is 16-18. They both have darkish skin, black hair, and green eyes. The boy is holding a sword, and the girl is holding a pencil and notebook. It would be cool if they were holding hands or something. It's OK if you don't want to, but I'd love it if you did.
                            -Dreams are nice, but sometimes you have to live in reality. -Perhaps, but dreams are MY reality.
                            -It's only impossibe if you believe it is.
                            -Existence is belief. I believe in magic, so it's real to me.

Comment

I have a basic HP scanner, and it's great for photos, but sucks for scanning drawings of any kind

But anyway, can u draw people? All kinds of people; old, young, tall, short, sitting, standing, male, female, fairies,...

I absolutely cannot draw people. I can draw any animals fictitious or not, and make them come to life, but I cannot draw a person to save my life. I've drawn maybe one or two ok ones.

Horses can be hard too, unless you live around them.
                              The Promised Land is a State of Being. - Me

Comment

Working...
                              X