Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random Thought (lines about the Powers...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Thought (lines about the Powers...)

Those who refuse to serve the Powers,
    become tools of the Powers.
    Those who agree to serve the Powers,
    themselves BECOME the Powers.

Beware the Choice! Beware refusing it!
    -Book of Night with Moon
    Tetrastych XIV: "Fire Over Heaven"

ANY COMMENTS?

I'd like to get away from Earth awhile
    And then come back to it and begin all over.
    May no fate willfully misunderstand me
    And half grant what I wish and snatch me away not to return
    Earth's the right place for love:
    I don't know where it's likely to go better.
    -Robert Frost
    "Birches"

Those who refuse to serve the Powers,
    become tools of the Powers.
    Those who agree to serve the Powers,
    themselves BECOME the Powers.

Beware the Choice! Beware refusing it!
    -Book of Night with Moon
    Tetrastych XIV: "Fire Over Heaven"

ANY COMMENTS?

I'd like to get away from Earth awhile
    And then come back to it and begin all over.
    May no fate willfully misunderstand me
    And half grant what I wish and snatch me away not to return
    Earth's the right place for love:
    I don't know where it's likely to go better.
    -Robert Frost
    "Birches"

Comment

Hmmm. Seems like whether you like it or not, you will eventually become a Power in a sense. I don't know if that is such a good thing.
      Perry, the Jupitarian

P.S. Someone asked me what a Jupitarian is. If you don't know eitherUH!! A jupitarian is someone from Jupiter

Comment

yeah, or in a more general sense just become part of everything hte way the powers are

Comment

I thought someone form Jupiter was a Jovian? (No-one said English was logical....)
          Whilst on the subject, is someone form Mercury a Mercurian or a Mercuran? If the former, is it Mer-cu-ri-an or Merc-ur-ian (like Mancunian)? And is Venusian pronounced with a hard or soft 's' (zz or sh)?
          "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

You're right about Jovian... as for the rest, who knows?
            T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
            Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
            Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
            Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
            My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
            Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

"Nita felt inclined to squeeze her eyes shut, not from pain but from a feeling of sheer insufficiency, of being involved in matters too high for her. 'Never think it,' said the Defender, beneficent lightnings flickering about her as other forms and other names came and went in glory; "never think We less than equals in the One. Someday you will surpass Us, and still be our equals, and both you and we will rejoice at it. ...'"
              From High Wizardry

Does this throw any light on the subject? It's kind of confusing, I don't know if I can make complete sense of it myself. All things are equal, and all things can change.

*Ella*
              Hakuna Matata, people!
              Whoopee! It's almost summer! (This is the part when I remember that I have to move this summer.)
              *Ella*
              "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
              There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
              And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
              What could mean more than this?"
              --Bright Eyes

Comment

I've always heard 'Venusian' pronounced with a hard 's' (i.e., 'zh'), and, while the astronomers I have heard pronounce it are not unimpeachable linguistic authorities, the dictionaries I have consulted seem to bear them out. You can, of course, always use 'Cytherean' instead of 'Venusian,' and although 'Cytherean' is more of a poetical term, it has purportedly been used by astronomers (I have not come across any instances of such use, though I don't do much reading in planetary astronomy --my suspicion would be that it is more a historical term than one used in modern research papers, however).

'Mercurian' is the only term used to denote a feature of Mercury that I have come across, and I have always heard it pronounced Mer-'cu-ri-an (at least I think I've heard it pronounced --if I've just been pronouncing it to myself, then there's no telling how far off I am from the usual pronunciation).

Nathan

Ubi materia, ibi geometria. --Johannes Kepler

Non doctrinam, sed perspicuitatem quaero.
                Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made your choice." -- Rush, "Free Will" [edited because I remembered who and where this came from]

It reminds me a bit of the line researchers like to throw out about advertising. People who know how advertisements manipulate the public are supposedly more susceptible because they believe that they're immune. If you step away from the Powers, they'll find a way to manipulate you that you won't recognize. But if you accept them and their wishes, you become master of your own fate and your own power, rendering you almost godlike in your own universe.

-Tabby
                  the princess with claws

[This message was edited by Tabby on 02 December 2003 at 2:17.]

Comment

Working...
                  X