"Senior?" (Wizard Hierarchy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Senior?" (Wizard Hierarchy)

Recently re-reading AWAb, I came to the part where Nita is looking for someone to consult in the wizards manual. There are four seniors for Ireland, one is retired, two are on active status and one is Jonny. Now when she goes and talks to Ronan, she says, "Let's go see your senior," or some such. I am confused by this reference. If the senior was available, Nita would have gone to her in the first place. Is "senior" here just being used as "advisory?" In which case, I think this is very confusing. Anyone want to clarify things about wizard hierarchy?

Yours till the bed spreads,
    Rowen Avalon
    mysites/ravensiggys/constitutionality
    Rowen Avalon

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
    "IB helps you with stress management. It throws all this stress at you and says, 'Manage it!' Then you have your b

Recently re-reading AWAb, I came to the part where Nita is looking for someone to consult in the wizards manual. There are four seniors for Ireland, one is retired, two are on active status and one is Jonny. Now when she goes and talks to Ronan, she says, "Let's go see your senior," or some such. I am confused by this reference. If the senior was available, Nita would have gone to her in the first place. Is "senior" here just being used as "advisory?" In which case, I think this is very confusing. Anyone want to clarify things about wizard hierarchy?

Rowen Avalon
    Rowen Avalon

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
    "IB helps you with stress management. It throws all this stress at you and says, 'Manage it!' Then you have your b

Comment

If you remeber she says she didn't know if going to a senior wizard with be good at this point so, she decided to get some advice from a fellow wizard.

Princess_nita0
      Night owl,Up till Dawn

Comment

If you remeber she says she didn't know if going to a senior wizard with be good at this point so, she decided to get some advice from a fellow wizard.

Princess_nita0
        Night owl,Up till Dawn

Comment

Sorry about this double print why hasn't anyone come to this sit yet.

Princess_nita0
          Night owl,Up till Dawn

Comment

it probably means someone who is higher than and advisory so she didn't think that it was wise to just go and see him without being sure or maybe it was an advisory

Comment

Even if she didn't go to see the senior for the reasons stated, she did say that all the seniors were occupied and not to be bothered, except Jonny. But she goes to see Doris . . . Is she a senior? Anyone know?

Rowen Avalon
              Rowen Avalon

Comment

I dunno, but it sure makes me wonder, maybe I'll have to read the book again!

Comment

Comment

To quote, since I brought the book to work (ellipses where I skipped stuff):

*Chapter heading: Ath na Sceire Enniskerry

It was at that point that Nita realized she needed expert help, and fast.

She pulled out her manual, the next morning, and began going through it looking for the names and addresses of the local Senior Wizards. Addresses there were--there were four seniors for Ireland, one of whom was on retirement leave, two of whom were on active assignment and hence not available for consults, and one, the Area Advisory...

...but you didn't go bothering the Area Advisory for a problem that you weren't yet sure couldn't be handled at a less central level.

She therefore concentrated on the addresses of wizards in the Bray and Greystones area.*

So she looked for a plain Senior, couldn't find one available, and decided to ask a regular wizard like herself for help...and choosing one more or less at random, ended up with Ronan. Heh--"there are no coincidences." Ronan then took her to a Senior, Mrs. Smyth.

Inside every cynic there's an idealist desperately yearning to be let out, and when they are let out they're usually a real pain and cause all sorts of trouble. --Chris Boucher

Comment

But here's another inconsistancy - she said two of the Seniors were on Active Assignment. Yet in SYWTBAW it says that Seniors have retired from field work. And Jonny and Doris are certainly not retired!! Explain please!

Yours till the kitchen sinks,
                      Rowen Avalon

~Post Disclaimer~
                      "I know that you think you
                      understood what I said, but I
                      don't think you understand
                      that what I said is not
                      exactally what I meant." He
                      he! So true
                      Rowen Avalon

Comment

There's nothing that says a Senior can't voluntarily unretire, as needed. If I were retired, and got the call to come back to active duty for some reason (especially wizardry!) I'd at least give it heavy consideration. Some Seniors probably have specialized in really arcane fields of study, and I can easily imagine a situation where expertise rather than raw power was needed. Sometimes diplomacy works where gunships don't.
                        "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                        "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

I'm lost. I nee to read that book again, apparently!!

Perry, the one and only "perryton" on Jupiter

Comment

Mmm... there's a fair chunk on this, IIRC, in the "let's Describe Tom and Carl" bit in HW. Someone with the book, go look it up! Also in DW she mentions T+C just got a promotion but, dang and blast my memory, I can't remember what from or two. Anyone?
                            I think HW mentions there are only twenty or so Seniors (at least with T+C's rank) for Earth. If there are 4 in Ireland, well, that doesn't really fit. If T+C are Area Advisories, it's possible that Senior is a general term, and within there are different levels. In fact, that's what there has to be. Um. I need to get a hold of SYWTBAW, but... it might go something like this. Senior; Regional Senior; Area Advisory(Tom and Carl?);Possibly something here; Whatever Johnny is, which I can't remember; and Planetary Senior (Irina. (S)he's mentioned in HW. Who missed that? ) And then presumably it goes on and on. If I can get hold of a couple of books, might help(!).

Oh yeah, just a tidbit on "active;" in SYWTBAW, Tom or Carl mentions that the "don't do much freelance any more. Better to leave that to the younger practitioners, like you."
                            T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                            Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
                            Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
                            Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
                            My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
                            Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
                            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Tui, what's IIRC?

Five ninety-one! What on earth is wrong with you? Do you eat?!

Comment

Working...
                              X