How do you make a wizard's knot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you make a wizard's knot?

DD, could you please help me with this? I wish I knew how to make a wizard's know, so I can do stuff....

Please help me,
    Me

[edited to fix the thread title--kli.]

Brennick, err... remember what we told you about one-liners? I only mention this because I saw three of them from you in a row.

That said, the Errantry Concordance has a Wizard's Knot entry [<--click there!!] that should answer your question.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

OMGoodness! I'm sorry, I forgot! I'll try to stop, but Its hard to, for me, at least.
      Alright, thanks for the info, but one question-How does the knot complete the circle if its a continuing knot?

Me

Comment

No worries, Brennick. It's not as if all one-liners are bad (if they contain a fair amount of substance to them, they're ok. DD herself writes one-liners on occasion); it's just that if you're writing a lot of one-liners, you might want to check if what you're posting really contributes to the conversation.

I'm not sure about the Knot, because I got the same image you did: that it ties off the spell. But reading the Concordance, it seems to be more of a 3-d construct, which completely surrounds the spell. Anybody got any ideas?
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Aren't the knots supposed to be figure eight shaped? and the spells supposed to be circlar, well I thoght they were circular, but I think that they have been refered to as a string of words. Could the wizards knot be a thing that goes over the whole spell that is anchored at the end, where it shows there as a figure eight?
          (\__/)
          (+'.'+)I guess I'm helping bunny
          (")_(")

Comment

knot how to

[the wizard's knot is uncannily similar (exactly the same) as a celtic knotwork i made a few days before seeing the entry. scary, no?
            anyway, i will give you both the end product, and the grid i used to make it

the grid

the second step. trace the shapes inside the lines

add the weave and an outline

here is one of my other knotworks

maybe knotworks could be spell circles, used by celtic wizards. DD did say that the Art was also used as an art form...

Comment

I always envisioned a spell as a circle of un-connected characters and the wizard's knot as a figure eight character that connects the two ends. In the later books, these circles became three-dimensional and more complicated, but the knot stayed the same for me.

@iwantwizpod3: I can't view the images and I'm not sure if this is a problem with other members. Perhaps you can make an album on Photobucket and post a link to it?
              From your friendly neighborhood wizard, Poliester.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy Li View Post
                No worries, Brennick. It's not as if all one-liners are bad (if they contain a fair amount of substance to them, they're ok. DD herself writes one-liners on occasion); it's just that if you're writing a lot of one-liners, you might want to check if what you're posting really contributes to the conversation.

I'm not sure about the Knot, because I got the same image you did: that it ties off the spell. But reading the Concordance, it seems to be more of a 3-d construct, which completely surrounds the spell. Anybody got any ideas?
                Well, in looking at the wiki - what I'm thinking is that the 'in the flat' that they're referring to is the same way it would be if you were writing on paper - that it would be a circle that's not closed - like a "C", and then the loops (using an infinity symbol for simplicity) close in the ends. With one like the celtic one in the wiki, since it's 3D it would be able to enclose more? O_o; 3-d Spells to me seem a bit like glowing balls of yarn.

(Pictoral example of the 'flat': )

Comment

I compare sealing a spell to a balloon. (I thought of this as I was beginning with my new trainee a few days ago) Since you already know the beginning of this analogy, the knot is like the knot on the balloon. If you fill the balloon up to its height, and let it go without sealing it, it'll just fizz out. If you seal it at it's height , it will stay there, and be much more effective... I think of it as being similar to a ziplock seal; If you think of it as creating the mental image of the knot/seal, as you release the energy, it makes a lot more sence. Just like with any spell, you are simply facilitating tthe mechanical process and must have enough understanding of the mechanical process in order to visualize it occuring as you cause it to happen. The knot is the same way.
                  The Promised Land is a State of Being. - Me

Comment

I always just thought of the Wizards' knot as a figure 8 kind of thing. I picture the spell as a one dimentional thing and the wizards' knot the same way. The one dimention could be on a plane in front of the wizard or slightly curved around them but not a full circle. I always pictured it as the wizardry would be a type of circle, one drawn in the sand, or a mental circle if the wizard is doing the spell in their mind, or even like one of the links on Nita's charm bracelet [which by the way I think DD should design and sell on the cafe press site cause I would totally buy one!] I always thought the knot went somewhere on the circle or was drawn in the air. Sometimes I thought of it as just something that was said, not drawn because you still have to recite the spell. The way I think of it is like a period at the end of a sentence. It ends it off and makes it final, puts it into play, so to speak. A sentence without a period at the end is not complete and it can be added on to or messed with by other people so that's what I think the main function of the knot is, to seal the spell off from 'intruders' and set it into motion.
                    Last edited by wizardsrreal; April 4, 2009, 02:15:37 PM.
                    Dai stiho cousins
                    ~~~Ezra

Comment

link

sorry about the pics. they are on flickr, here:
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/dseandragon/

oh, by the way, i was listening to AWAB audiobook again, and i heard DD describing the knotworks on the rim as really powerful spell diagrams

Comment

I think I see the wizard's knot as (I know this is weird) a long cord that overlaps over and over again with one simple tug that ties the cord together, and when pulled the wizard's knot can come undone. Sometimes I see it as (my lovely friend wizardsrreal said ) a figure 8, but when I think of it I see a picture of a glowing whip-like cord that simply gets tied down in one knot.
                        Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

Knotwork&amp;Spell Circle

That idea is not wierd Wiccangixie! I don't even know what a figure 8 is so some1 pls post 1! But I can see what u mean anyway and actually I think what u said is true! It mentions something like that in 1 of the beginning books, if it's either SYWTBAW or DW. It's not exactly like it is but pretty much with a little twist of some other peeps ideas!

Here's the wizard's knot, anywho:

http://www.youngwizards.com/Errantry...izard%27s_knot
                          Here's the spell circle, anywho 2:
                          http://www.youngwizards.com/Errantry...p/spell_circle
                          (True,) the white hole said. (my name is Khairelikoblepharehglukumeilichephreidosd'enagooun i--) and at the same time he went flickering through a pattern of colors that was evidently the visual translation."Ky--elik" Nita began. "Fred," Kit said quickly.

Comment

Thanks Chocolate!! You're awesome, and thanks for posting the links. How often is the errantry concordance thingy updated anyway? (wow I just used thingy lol!)

That's pretty much a figure 8 knot Hope this helps
                            Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

Thanks! I got confused with the dog trick figure 8! LOL
                              (True,) the white hole said. (my name is Khairelikoblepharehglukumeilichephreidosd'enagooun i--) and at the same time he went flickering through a pattern of colors that was evidently the visual translation."Ky--elik" Nita began. "Fred," Kit said quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X