A dark oath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A dark oath

So we know that wizards can be overshadowed. That suggests that the powers can not just take away the wizards power in such a situation. So assuming that the Lone Power picks up the tab, mightn't he not start his own recruiting system? spread his own books throughout worlds that he feels he has a chance of converting?

Enough preamble, this is my attempt at what an oath to the lone power would be:

In Variance's name, and for Variance's sake;
    I assert that I will employ the Art which is His gift in Variance's service alone, rejecting all other usages. I will promote change, and refute stagnation.
    I will fight to change that which has stagnated, or is in danger of stagnation; nor preserve any object or creature, unless it, or the environment of which it is part, will bring about greater Variance than is lost by it's preservation.
    To these ends, in the practice of my Art, I will put aside fear for courage, preservation for Variance, when it is right to do so, looking always forward, when all the myriad worlds shall be changed into something new, in accordance from That from Which they proceed.

"In blackest day, in brightest night,
    Beware your fears made into light
    Let those who try to stop what's right,
    Burn like Its power and fear Its might!"

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. Yours is good, I just see the YW characters as being a little like the Green Lantern Corps.

Comment

You know, I really wish we still had that old conversation where I said the same thing and quoted the Alan Moore variant of a Green Lantern oath; Katma Tui had some problems administering the oath to a recruit in an intergalactic void who had no concept of light ("In [untranslatable] or [untranslatable]/No evil shall escape my [untranslatable]....").

And DD admitted she'd probably been thinking of the GL oath when she came up with her Oath. And she told us some ideas she had for a GL comic story she worked on once, but my poor tired old brain can't remember what they were... (sigh).
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Wow, you're oath is really good. I really like that you focused on the change or ambivalent part of it, rather than the death, or "evil" part of it. That way, you show them as wizards with a different purpose, rather than just "bad guys". The idea of wizards working for the Lone One is very interesting, it would be a fun story to write. I think it would atract differnt types of people, for example, wizardy attracts people who love words, and want to help people. Dark wizardy might attract kids who are lonely or angry, who don't want to waste their time with doing things that have already been done, or are impatient with societys closeminded definitions of good and evil.
        -Dreams are nice, but sometimes you have to live in reality. -Perhaps, but dreams are MY reality.
        -It's only impossibe if you believe it is.
        -Existence is belief. I believe in magic, so it's real to me.

Comment

I really don't think the Lone One would make his oath so close to the original one. He'd probably keep the same form, but it would be much different. Anyway, we'll never get the chance to find out because of the Reconfiguration... thank the Powers.
          2 Saxy 4 u 2 Handel...

Comment

This is awesome.
            I'm writing something it could be useful in. If I credit you could I use it? *begins racing ahead in her wolf-wizard story again*
            Duct tape is like the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it binds the Universe together.
            "Oh. So...what, you liked it 'cause it was shiny?" - Logan Cale
            "I'm sixteen. Of course I'm hungry." - Ben Skywalker

Comment

I agree! I kept on thinking, why doesn't the Lone One recruit some soldiers too? He hates it when people sacrifice themselves willingly, but he would love it if they'd work for him willingly, saving him the trouble of trying to trick them! Imagine, dark wizards against light wizards, the Lone One would be saved a lot of trouble. Instead of the light wizards attacking Him directly, he can send willing minions to fight them for him, while he works on speeding up entropy!

Comment

Working...
              X