No announcement yet.

So You Want to be a Wizard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay, complexity! (It's what keeps me reading Shakespeare). And yeah, Fire and Hemlock has some strange leaps in it that even "well, it's a Tam Lin story" doesn't cover. Didn't have any problems with Dalemark, but then, I didn't see it as a series as disconnected volumes--which is why the fourth book, which desperately attempts to pull it all together in to a single narrative, can be so confusing.

Tui, Pratchett is not King of Allusions in my book (although he comes close). I'd vote for John M. Ford for that title. I love how, in How Much For Just the Planet?, DD becomes "Princess Dee Dee," Peter Morwood is "Peter Blackwood," Neil Gaiman is "Ilen the Magian," and he pulls in references to Gilbert & Sullivan, the Paramount logo, Laurel & Hardy, Alien, Dr. Wally ("Dilithium and YOU!"), Marlene Dietrich, Rawhide, and The Thirty-Nine Steps.

All in a Star Trek novel.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Mmmmm.... yes. Causality loop sounds much better than paradox. Thanks.

Nerine: well, I have had to re-read books to really "get" them. But where with another author I might find that frustrating, I don't with DWJ, for a number of reasons. firstly, she's awesome: I woul de-read her anyway. Secondly, even if I don't completely understand, they're still satisfying- not like a book where, at the end, you're left completely unsatisfied because it doesn't amke sense. And I loved the Dalemark Quartet, so yeah, try it again.

kli- ah, yes, but I haven't read John M Ford. *checks bio* of course, a Trek writer. (I have, actually, heard mentions of his allusions- probably, come to think of it, mad by you.) Mind you, says here that
      He has written the only two Star Trek novels that are admired by those who love Star Trek and those who despise it.
      Hmm. I'm branching out these holidays- maybe I should try him along with Cowboy bebop.
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

kli6--As regards "How Much"--don't forget Doctor Who!

Comment

What scares me the most about that book is that every time I read it, I spot ten more references I didn't recognize at the time. I have no idea how he does it...

Tui, Ford-wise, if you can find 'em, I'd recommend grabbing either From the End of the Twentieth Century or Cold Fusion and Other Stories. His novels are a bit more opaque. If, however, you are very much into Heinlein YA books, grab Growing Up Weightless, and if you're into Richard III and vampires, then find The Dragon Waiting.

And if you ever meet him at a convention, you can call him "John," but he generally goes by "Mike" (and, no, that's not what the M. is for).
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

DWJ is one of my favorite authors, but I agree that her leaps can be difficult to follow in some of her books. This is probably because she is mind-bogglingly well-versed in myth and legend and when you understand something so thoroughly that it's part of you, it's really hard not to forget key things and get caught up in the details trying to explain to someone else.
            For example - Have you ever tried to explain the plot of YW to anyone who has no idea what you're talking about? I've never not gotten a strange look in that situation. How 'bout you guys?
            ~Philosopherkat

Comment

Thanks, kli. (BTW, do you prefer Kathy or kli??) I'll find them, and *very quietly* I haven't read any Heinlein. Don't hurt me!

As for conventions- ah. Yeah, when I move to the States, you know, when I'm a zillion and one or, alternatively, making money. (The second is looking to be the further at the moment... everything I'm looking at doing at uni is, basically, useless. Whee!)

*grins at philosopherkat* I learnt not to do that when I tried to explain David Eddings. You wouldn't think that the plot of the Belgariad would be hard to explain. But once you've got into the 'There's this boy, see, and he comes from a farm, but really he's a king only he doesn't find that out till ages, but i knew all along, anyway, he and his grandfather who he doesn't know is his granfather and his aunt who he lived with on the farm, when they went into hiding, and a bunch of other people, leave the farm..."

And people give you strange looks and edge away fast. *shrugs* Teach them to interrupt me in the middle of a book.
              Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

You're welcome. And either "kli" or "Kathy" is fine--no hangups about being addressed as either. And as for the Heinlein, it's ok, I've only ever read two: Citizen of the Galaxy and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I keep meaning to read Starshoop Troopers someday.

Comment

Working...
                X