It's so... Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's so... Right

As a guy recently out of college having studied astrophysics and computers, I can read, say, Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter, and enjoy them for the storytelling, and the imagery. But there's always that certain reserve, that that is not *my* world, and I would not want it to be. Logic and "magic", in that sense, cannot coexist, as they are by definition mutually exclusive. And as I embrace Logic, I at the same time distance myself from any story that claims a higher power than that, so that the "why" of the story's doings must be shrugged off.

How refreshing, then, to have discovered So You Want To Be a Wizard this past Tuesday, (and how ironic as well; while browsing in a used bookstore (used-book store, I should probably say) and reaching down to pick up a different book I was looking for, I accidentally picked up this one, was amused by the title, read the first few pages, and laughed to myself that I seemed to be in a recursive novel...)

Five days and four books later, I marvel that some of the most offhand and abstract thoughts I've had over the past few months are here on paper just as I had reasoned at them: First, that only a few months ago, I had jokingly mused to myself that the meaning of life is to fight the constant struggle against entropy, and second, to have later decided that this is inaccurate, since a world without entropy might as well already be at heat death; just as light is meaningless without darknees, or hot without cold, each of these pairs is still meaningless and lacks any "moral" significance without entropy to direct a gradient. To have entertained these thought so recently, and then stumble across both of them being expressed so vividly....

Well, for the first time in all my reading, these books describe a fantasy universe that I could be happy in; that I could willingly participate in without feeling that I was discarding my morality of logic and purpose. It seems fitting that just as Entropy provides the gradient between hot and cold, so should it provide the gradient between the personifications of good and evil.

And of course the terrific guest stars... from the first descriptions of Ed until his first line, my mind began to race with wondering what sort of personality would be conveyed by his speech, and the result was both completely unexpected and yet still perfectly fitting, so that I was convinced that a Master Shark would, of course, speak just like this. The guffaw-worthy non-sequiturs of Fred. And I must add that I would have considered it impossible for a successful story about two teenagers to benefit by the addition of a kid-sister character, but in this I have been proven wrong most mightily, and I think to myself again that it is, in a way, too bad that that world isn't real after all; going by the birthdate she mentioned, she'd be my age, and... :-)
    Ardub
    r:w)

As a guy recently out of college having studied astrophysics and computers, I can read, say, Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter, and enjoy them for the storytelling, and the imagery. But there's always that certain reserve, that that is not *my* world, and I would not want it to be. Logic and "magic", in that sense, cannot coexist, as they are by definition mutually exclusive. And as I embrace Logic, I at the same time distance myself from any story that claims a higher power than that, so that the "why" of the story's doings must be shrugged off.

How refreshing, then, to have discovered So You Want To Be a Wizard this past Tuesday, (and how ironic as well; while browsing in a used bookstore (used-book store, I should probably say) and reaching down to pick up a different book I was looking for, I accidentally picked up this one, was amused by the title, read the first few pages, and laughed to myself that I seemed to be in a recursive novel...)

Five days and four books later, I marvel that some of the most offhand and abstract thoughts I've had over the past few months are here on paper just as I had reasoned at them: First, that only a few months ago, I had jokingly mused to myself that the meaning of life is to fight the constant struggle against entropy, and second, to have later decided that this is inaccurate, since a world without entropy might as well already be at heat death; just as light is meaningless without darknees, or hot without cold, each of these pairs is still meaningless and lacks any "moral" significance without entropy to direct a gradient. To have entertained these thought so recently, and then stumble across both of them being expressed so vividly....

Well, for the first time in all my reading, these books describe a fantasy universe that I could be happy in; that I could willingly participate in without feeling that I was discarding my morality of logic and purpose. It seems fitting that just as Entropy provides the gradient between hot and cold, so should it provide the gradient between the personifications of good and evil.

And of course the terrific guest stars... from the first descriptions of Ed until his first line, my mind began to race with wondering what sort of personality would be conveyed by his speech, and the result was both completely unexpected and yet still perfectly fitting, so that I was convinced that a Master Shark would, of course, speak just like this. The guffaw-worthy non-sequiturs of Fred. And I must add that I would have considered it impossible for a successful story about two teenagers to benefit by the addition of a kid-sister character, but in this I have been proven wrong most mightily, and I think to myself again that it is, in a way, too bad that that world isn't real after all; going by the birthdate she mentioned, she'd be my age, and... :-)
    Ardub

Comment

Dai Stiho Ardub!
      Wow...I don't think anyone has a first post to rival that. (Though I'm only a midbie, so Ella or Tui or any of the olbies would know--and they say this board used to be a lot less spammy. ) At any rate, what can I say? I am truly impressed.

"That's right," he said. "We're philosophers. We think, therefore we am."
      -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
      *Look kindly upon the decaffienated one*
      http://pub15.ezboard.com/ftimeheartf...opicID=3.topic
      My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
      OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
      --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

wow that was deep. but you really are right. logic is a welcome friend that a lot of people hold onto, and so fantasy books must be (i assume) frivolous in their eyes. i mean, in most books good and evil are easily seen, physically and emotionally. but DD shows that it isn't that way, that evil can seem like a friend, and that the path isn't always paved. she is a bonafide genius!!! and you know what's interesting? the way you found SYWTBAW seems very similar to how kit found his manual

"It was my turn to save you, that's all. Now I want a few weeks off..."

it's not dying for a friend that's hard...no, what's hard is finding a friend worth dying for.
        Call me Q :-)

you never know who your real friends are until the hard times come. When it isn't all happy laughs and fun. sometimes your old friends will rough it & stay. but usuall they tend to fade away. If they fade, do not fear, bcuz better fr

Comment

You stole Rysade's Avie... oooooh..... (Sorry. that was my very veyr first reaction, and I like to put down my thoughts in order.)

Further thoughts: that is a lovely summary of reasons I like the books too. Although I guess my personal philosophy would be a little less purely Logical, I was brought up in a family which embraces science and fact as much as possible. So the Young Wizards series is the best I've found, because it combines excellent and interesting science with the idea of something more that, as a fantasy addict, I crave. Plus, of course, great characters, settings, and concepts...
          Thanks!
          T

(Papercrane: I don't know. And since all the original first posts got deleted, some of them.... but I can certainly say that it beats mine!)

Tuibird in Aotearoa
          Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
          Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Oops - my apologies for accidental avatar stealing :-) I've switched to something that is definitely a personal mascot for me only.

Regarding logic and fantasy novels, I guess my intent is to say that I'm happy to suspend disbelief regarding the "how", but it's so refreshing not to have to also do so for the "why", because the actions in the Wizards books bear analysis. Sauron, for counter-example, is Evil for its own sake, or perhaps the sake of Power, but the reader doesn't have much cause to speculate if his wars are actually a good thing to have around, we just have to accept that he must be destroyed.

The Wizards books balance well those of Philip Pullman (The Golden Compass, et. al.), which also merge astrophysics with religious lore, but in somewhat the opposite proporions of these. At the moment, I'd say that these (YW) mirror more closely the things I think about, so I can feel more closely... attatched to them.

Incidentally, reading the part where Dairine picks the password Red Five reminded me of an absurd thing I witnessed and then forgot the other day, a few hours before I happened across the first Wizard book at the bookstore: Five Cananda Geese doing a darn good re-enactment of the trench run from Star Wars. I mean, so un-goose-like that if it had been a few hours *after* I started reading a Wizard book instead of a few before, I'd be certain that I was suddently becoming sensitive to personified animals or something...

Picture this: I was riding my bike along a nice level bike trail that follows a little "river" north from where I live. Actually, it's more of a water-filled canal or trench, about 15 feet wide and with steep banks about 6 feet up, at which level is the bike trail. About fifty yards ahead was a viaduct over the river. As I rode that way, four geese came diving out of the sky and into the trench, maintaining their formation. Not a normal goose V-formation, mind you. These guys were showing off a vertical-diamond formation, so that none of them was ahead of the other; one was on top, another was below, and two were at the left and right. Are geese supposed to act like fighter pilots?

So as they sped along as some sort of first-wave attack on the bridge, a fifth goose came hurtling out of the sky and leveled off behind them just above water level. When you picture a goose approaching water, you probably imagine flaps at 40%, airbakes on. Nope, this guy kept all the speed of his dive as he zipped into and along the trench behind the first formation that was running interference for him against some unseen adversary ahead. The first four abruptly pulled up - still in formation, and still sleek (no wild beating of wings here) clearing the way for the fifth to play chicken with the low-hanging viaduct he approached, in front of which he finally pulled up and sped vertically out of the trench and away.

Did this year's model of goose come with jetpacks or something? This stunt seemed to defy ballistic physics.

Ardub
            Ardub

Comment

Haha, that's a great story.

That's a really interesting thought about auron, especially considering that LoTR is often thought to be all about the rights and the wrongs. (And the journey.) That's really cool.

Oh- you really didn't need to do that about the avie. But is it hosted on-site? If it's not, you should ask Lee if she'll host it for you here- outside avatars drive up bandwidth, hich we've been having multiple issues with lately...
              T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

Is that Washington, the state, or the city?

I'm no scientist (though I have half a biological education) but in reading Ms. Duane's books I am continually struck by how often I just say "yes." A phrase, a scene, a concept...it just works. It's right. It's in phase, it matches, it all but gives off light from the page. It's satisfying. And it's a rare phenomenon in reading generally, I find. Yet another reason to treasure her.

Comment

Originally posted by Quill:
                  Is that Washington, the state, or the city?
                  Controlled ambiguity can be a good friend :-) But it's alright, I can see I'm among friends here. So: Seattle suburbs, Washington State.

obBookComment: For anyone here who likes entropy stories and hasn't yet read it, I recommend finding Asimov's collection "Nine Tomorrows" and reading the short story "The Last Question". It's out of print, but you can occasionally find a copy for 37 cents (!) at a used book store.

Ardub
                  Ardub

Comment

Ardub, just interjecting something you probably already know, but you might wanna look for DD's work outside the YA arena as well. She's written a number of Star Trek novels, two Cat Wizard novels, and her latest "adult" novel Stealing the Elf-King's Roses combines the science-logic, magic, and police procedurals in about equal measure.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

The short story: is that the one where the last line is, uhm, very biblically significant? (not wanting to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it...) If so, I'll add my reccomendations: I like that one. It has an _excellent_ last line.
                      T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

Yep, Birdhead, that's the one.

obBookComment: Dairine the Star Wars nut, near the beginning of her travels, goes through an alien-filled bar in a spaceport city. Anyone else here turn on the cantina band music in the background at this part to help fulfill what is presumably a tribute to Mos Eisley? :-)

Ardub
                        Ardub

Comment

No, but it usually plays in my head when I read that section!

Welcome, by the way!

Squash

Comment

Haha - as I was going to sleep just now, I turned my attention to the modified corporate logo on Dairine's computer, which I hadn't stopped to think of the "point" of before.

After a moment's reflection, though, the meaning becomes perfectly clear and is a pretty funny joke by Those that provided the software... think on it. :-)

Ardub
                            Ardub

Comment

*blink blink* You know, I'd never even thought of that. And you're right: it is clear! And i'd never even thought about it, I'd just assumed it was a way of distinguishing this-Mac from true-Macs.
                              T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

Working...
                              X