Time and the timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time and the timeline

I have noticed that the years are a little odd in this series. Here's how I figure:
    HW must come right after DW, because when Nita and Kit leave for the city, Nita's mother asks if they're on assignment (not a direct quote, I don't have my copy at the moment), and Nita says, 'No, mom, not for a while, I think, after last time.'
    We all know what 'last time' was.
    Then, in _Abroad_, she says it has been 2 1/2 YEARS since her Ordeal. Yet Dairine, who was 11 in HW, is now only twelve, NOT thirteen.
    I'm confused.
    *Ella*
    "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
    There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
    And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
    What could mean more than this?"
    --Bright Eyes

Originally posted by EWizard11:
    I have noticed that the years are a little odd in this series.
    You have to ignore Dairine's wildly fluctuating age to make sense of the timeline. Apparently she gets younger as she gets more powerful (heh). I guess for some reason Diane decided it would be better for her to be slightly younger than she was originally conceived (no pun intended). I wonder if later editions of the preceding books altered Dairine's age into consistency, if they're editing them with such specificity as to change references to color tv/large-screen tv?

Comment

Comment

Yeah, it's nuts, but hey, are there any perfect books?

*Ella*
        *Ella*
        "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
        There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
        And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
        What could mean more than this?"
        --Bright Eyes

Comment

also you will relise that the books are set in the 1980-90 (find this out buy getting dairine's age in HW and her birth date also in HW and presto)

but in the newest book a wizard alone kit has bought a dvd player/burner!!!! only releced around a year ago!!
          Yeah...I noticed that too. Time goes a little strangely in these books... Mostly, I think, because the first one came out many years ago (1983, I think) and ever since that they've been coming out every couple of years. Now, probably due to publishing purposes and Diane's editor, Harcourt wants the books to stay up with the times, which they believe will make the books sell more.

But, in my opinion, it doesn't matter what time the books are set in...that's not what makes them so amazing...it's the plot and characters and just about everything else in the books that makes the series so great. *Phew...long sentence*

Anyway, as EWizard11 said, "...are they're any perfect books?"

~Em~
          "But victory's certain. Never think otherwise. There is loss, and there is pain, and in your home frame of reference, they're real enough, not to be devalued. But today the energy's running out of things just a little more slowly...for those who tru

Comment

Comment

Yep, as close to perfect books as I think you can get... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~Em~
              "But victory's certain. Never think otherwise. There is loss, and there is pain, and in your home frame of reference, they're real enough, not to be devalued. But today the energy's running out of things just a little more slowly...for those who tru

Comment

Comment

http://www.geocities.com/booknightmoon

Comment

I might just *cough* accidently *cough* lose my library copy of Dilemma and just pay the fine. Okay, its wrong, but...but....they're too holy and wonderful to be sitting on the lonely shelves of the public library. Is that wrong?!?!

~Em~

"Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." Frieda Norris

Comment

extended character cleanup

Ohhhhhh, hey, taking the book's fine by me, it'll be replaced in short order, but it's perfectly fine on the library shelf, I assure you. Well, it might be a little stinky. Books have a tendency to do that for some reason.
                      Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; January 17, 2009, 12:03:50 PM.

Comment

Lol...well, I still think it would prefer a shelf in my room. Yeah, I can see it now: Wizard's Dilemma, basking on the shelf between The Amber Spyglass and my other YW books, feeling very fragrant in this room smelling of grapefruit (yes, grapefruit...my cat threw up on my rug today so I used all these scented candles to cover up the smell). What a great vision...

~Em~

"Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." Frieda Norris

Comment

::shrieks:: no, taking books from libraries is a terrible thing to do! I can't bear to hear of it! Please don't say stuff like that!

Comment

I was just kidding. I wouldn't have been able to do it, even if I tried because that little angel on my shoulder is stronger then the little devil (a better debater too). Anyway, I was just joking!! Believe me, I didn't do it. Though it would've probably liked the shelves in my room better than the library ones...

Just kidding...

~Em~

Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; January 17, 2009, 12:06:11 PM. Reason: html cleanup

Comment

I like the idea of the DVD player in the books and then screaming Japanese aat eachother because now that I actually have a DVD player I could never go back to the VHS oh and I like reading the Japanese words they wrote(Japanese is my favorite Language).

*Nita*

Comment

Working...
                              X