Telepathy & The Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telepathy & The Speech

In _SYWTBAW_, Nita & Kit are beginning to use thought speech, otherwise known as telepathy. Now, I'm just wondering, if they could use thought speech, why bother talking aloud, in english or the Speech? I understand that they would have to talk to each other in their dimension, cause it would look kind of wierd if these two kids never said anything, but why use the Speech to talk to each other? wouldn't something like the Eldest hear them talking?

BTW, what is the World Trade Center Worldgate's status now?

Also, Fred speaks to them in their head. why does this use parentheses i.e. (), instead?

Comment

the fase out of useing telepathy speech becaues in the latter books you learn that it gets harder the closer you and the other person are(i.e. if you like like them) for your mind to be fully open to them
      and as for the world trade center worldgate i think you need to ask tom or carl about that i think it was 'moved'
      =^.^= ~ your relatey bites mines better! ~ =^.^=

Comment

WP, one liners! You should have edited!

Anyway, who would want to speak to each other in their minds all the time? You've got to exercise your voice sometime! Otherwise, you lose it.

I've checked my manual, and the WTC Worldgate has been moved to the statue of liberty. Strange place, since you've got to go by boat, but oh well! ( )
        "People...stop being mean to each other. Especially for the sake of laughs. IT SPEEDS UP ENTROPY." -Diane Duane

Comment

In answer to the status of the WTC gate, it is still there but badly damaged. Here is an excerpt of a chat I was having with my 2 partners (one an advisory; names were withheld for privacy reasons):

hazellawton: I'll bet the WGTM were mad...
          withheld1: someday
          withheld1: the who?
          hazellawton: worldgating team members
          withheld1: ah
          withheld2: Indeed.
          withheld2: Poor kitties.
          withheld2: My grandma's cat used to be on the team.

Wait a sec, it moved? When did you check that?
          ~Rachel

Comment

( ) A few minutes ago, when I read the question. It appears it's back up and running at the Statue. Though I had to really dig in the manual, since I'm not in New York. There was a little note that they may move it again, since the statue isn't the most accesable of places, but they had to add another working one since the one in the subway was "experiencing claudication errors due to overflow". They just now noticed, since it was a gradual breakdown. That one is better now, too. ()
            "People...stop being mean to each other. Especially for the sake of laughs. IT SPEEDS UP ENTROPY." -Diane Duane

Comment

On the original question, I suppose they're used to talking aloud - they've been doing that to everyone since they learnt to talk, after all. They still need to talk to other people, even Tom and Carl, after all.

And Nita and Dairine also use thought speech together, it's not just Nita and Kit, or Fred with the two of them.

Fred uses brackets? Interesting. He doesn't in my copy (the Corgi edition). I wonder when that changed.
              Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

The original question- I always kind of felt that a lot of what might be written as telepathy was a lot closer to "overhearing" rather than deliberately communicating, especially as the books went on. The times when they were actualyl communicating mentally seemed to me to be times when speaking itself would be either inconvenient or impossible, such as when they were in the middle of a spell, or whatever.

Fred is different because (talking like this) is different to accidentally over-hearing each other, I think... telepathy, or whatever, is his only method of communication- doesn't it mention he also uses light, actually- and I think the brackets are used to show that it's any star's way of speaking, albeit in the Speech, rather than an unusual method of comunication.

I think I've read brackets and non-brackets- when it's not brackets, is it italics? Because italics are the general "this person is talking in the Speech" indicators, right?

So I don't know, I guess. It also mentions later on, when Nita's trying to find Kit, that "it's not like your brain is broken," and Dairine suggests she should, er, shoot him a thought. This is pretty notable in Alone and Dilemma, I thought... on the other hand, when she has another choice, like messaging or getting a little bird to help out, she tends to go that route.
                Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Originally posted by RhyanonSorenson:
                  WP, one liners! You should have edited!

Anyway, who would want to speak to each other in their minds all the time? You've got to exercise your voice sometime! Otherwise, you lose it.

I've checked my manual, and the WTC Worldgate has been moved to the statue of liberty. Strange place, since you've got to go by boat, but oh well! ( )
                  I thought that if you got closer to them, no matter what your likeness-level was, that you and the other person would just know what the other was thinking... Maybe I'm the one confused...
                  I'm a happy person. Do you know why? Because happiness is an excuse everyone understands. Life is full of surprises, but happy people takes them in stride.

Comment

I remember something in A Wizard Abroad where Nita is on a plane (going to Ireland?) and she "shoots a thought" to Kit and thinks, oh I'm rusty at that. And then it's explained that most wizards don't like to use telepathy because a lot of other stuff gets tangled up with the thought that neither wizard needs/wants. Like Kit could 'hear' Nita kiss Ronan....

So maybe that's the reason.

BTW, what's the shorthand for A Wizard Abroad? Is it AWA? If it is then what's the shorthand for A Wizard Alone?

Yes, I'm a newbie...please bear with me!

Comment

Originally posted by SilveredBlue View Post
                      BTW, what's the shorthand for A Wizard Abroad? Is it AWA? If it is then what's the shorthand for A Wizard Alone?
                      AWA is A Wizard Alone and AWAB is A Wizard Abroad, all of the abbriviations are on the Errantry Concordance.
                      Footsteps in the snow suggest where you have been, point to where you were going: but where they suddenly vanish, never dismiss the possibility of flight....

Comment

Originally posted by SilveredBlue View Post
                        I remember something in A Wizard Abroad where Nita is on a plane (going to Ireland?) and she "shoots a thought" to Kit and thinks, oh I'm rusty at that. And then it's explained that most wizards don't like to use telepathy because a lot of other stuff gets tangled up with the thought that neither wizard needs/wants. Like Kit could 'hear' Nita kiss Ronan....

So maybe that's the reason.
                        Yeah, that was what I remember as the reason, too. And it makes sense.
                        Last edited by DameRuth; November 25, 2009, 12:46:54 PM.
                        "Never send a monster to do the work of an eeeeeevil scientist!"

Comment

I just finished that book, my 3rd favorite book by the way. They say that the longer the wizards work together the harder it is because there around each other enough that they can just talk normally.
                          Footsteps in the snow suggest where you have been, point to where you were going: but where they suddenly vanish, never dismiss the possibility of flight....

Comment

In response to the Speech...

Well, the reason why Nita and Kit use out loud talking a lot as opposed to talking in their minds. I'm not getting specific, but trust me, I know that it's hard to. Also, the status of the World Trade Center worldgate is doing fine. It opens up at about the time the 3rd YW book is published.

Comment

Working...
                            X