Nita's Middle name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nita's Middle name

Don't you just love nit picking? I sure do.

Has anyone else noticed that Nita's middle intial changes from book to book? In "So You Wanna Be A Wizard", she was listed in the wizard listings in the manual as "CALLAHAN, Juanita, L." but in Deep and High Wizardries, she's listed as "CALLAHAN, Juanita, T.". I'm not sure about Abraod, but in alone, she's back to "CALLAHAN, Juanita, L." Hmm...
    ~*~
    "It is easier to carry a cross around your neck than across your back."
    ~*~
    A picture is not always worth a thousand words. I would rather have the words and paint the pitcure with my mind.

Don't you just love nit picking? I sure do.

Has anyone else noticed that Nita's middle intial changes from book to book? In "So You Wanna Be A Wizard", she was listed in the wizard listings in the manual as "CALLAHAN, Juanita, L." but in Deep and High Wizardries, she's listed as "CALLAHAN, Juanita, T.". I'm not sure about Abraod, but in alone, she's back to "CALLAHAN, Juanita, L." Hmm...
    ~*~
    "It is easier to carry a cross around your neck than across your back."
    ~*~
    A picture is not always worth a thousand words. I would rather have the words and paint the pitcure with my mind.

Comment

*giggle*

I presume it's a Star Trek in-joke. James Kirk's original initial was R, which mysteriously changed to T a little way into the series. Diane Duane writes a lot of (brilliant) Star Trek novels (esp. Rihansu and Dark Mirror) and I'm guessing that's the reason for the change...

Hannah [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

'Felis Catus is your taxonomic nomenclature. An endothermic qaudroped, carniverous by nature.'
      'Felis Catus is your taxonomic nomenclature. An endothermic qaudroped, carniverous by nature.'

Comment

That's funny i never noticed the intial changed I would like to know her middel name though that has been buging at me for a couple months now.

*Nita*

Comment

Oops, looks like someone mispelled her name. But, I think it is okay in the context of the universe the book takes place. Aren't names supposed to be changeable?

Either Diane misspelled it, or you could argue that Nita mis-spelled her name in a Wizardry.

The Speech is used to describe the world and ourselves. If you describe something in the Speech, it becomes that.
          Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; August 12, 2009, 02:30:04 PM. Reason: cleanup multisig
          --Brandon Young

Comment

Interesting idea. I never thought of that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]. But I would think that if Nita did,mispell her name in the Speech, Diane would have said something about it in the books. But I don't know...it's possible.
            Wouldn't that be weird though. I mean, what if it affected who she was? What if something permanent suddenly changed inside of her because of that? *Shudders*. Scary thought.

~Em~

"Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." Frieda Norris
            "But victory's certain. Never think otherwise. There is loss, and there is pain, and in your home frame of reference, they're real enough, not to be devalued. But today the energy's running out of things just a little more slowly...for those who tru

Comment

Actually, reading A Wizard's Dilemma again, a Wizardry wouldn't be needed to change her name. If you change, then your name changes, too.

In A Wizard's Dilemma, Nita's name changed over the course of the book. The name she used in the spell to clean up the ocean at the beginning of the book wouldn't work for her when she was trying to cure her mother because she had changed, her name had changed.
              Before her mother was sick, she would never had worked with the Lone Power, but she was willing to work with the Lone Power to try to save her mother.

If her name changed over the course of the book, it would also change in the Manual. Remember the Manual is actually written in the Speech, and it updates itself. So, it isn't inconceivable that the directory listing could change with the Wizard.

--Brandon Young
              --Brandon Young

Comment

Hmm... well, that's all well and good, but I think that we're talking about two different names here. Your name in the Speech does indeed describe who you are, but no one calls you that. It's more of an essay about yourself, one that can be refined and added to as you discover more details about yourself (we have seen examples of this).
                That, however, is not the name printed in the manual's list. That name is your legal given name, and no amount of change in yourself is going to change that! (How would that be? You'd have to go back into the DMV to get a new driver's license everytime somthing significant happened in your life, and change your name with Social Security, and... etc).
                So, I think we have to chalk this one up to a pure, unadulterated mistake on Diane's part... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Worlebird
                ------------------------------------
                !/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj
                $/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1
                lK[d2%Sa2/d0$^Ixp"|dc`;s/\W//g;$_=pack('H*',/((..)*)$/)
                Worlebird
                ------------------------------------
                "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us the nicest of the damned." - They Might be Giants

Comment

Yeah...that's more of what I meant. I agree with worlebird. But Diane, making a mistake!!!??? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] It's impossible! She's too perfect, and her books are too! There must be another explanation [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img].

~Em~

"Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." Frieda Norris
                  "But victory's certain. Never think otherwise. There is loss, and there is pain, and in your home frame of reference, they're real enough, not to be devalued. But today the energy's running out of things just a little more slowly...for those who tru

Comment

I figured she just made a mistake. But Star Trek in-joke would work. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] It's too bad, though: I was almost positive Nita's middle name was "Trouble." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] But then it changed to "Laura" or "Lisa" or "Lluvia." ::sigh::

Comment

It's legally possible to change one's name. I know this is stretching a bit, but it could happen.

Post tenebras spero lucem - after dark I wish for light
                      (CC) This post has been closed-captioned for the hearing-impaired.
                      -----
                      Jennifer (i am a soviet space shuttle)
                      "He's a pinball wizard, there has to be a twist; a pinball wizard's got such a supple wrist..." -- Elton John, Pinball Wizard

Comment

Don't some people have more than one middle name? Maybe she has two middle names and the initial switches.

Hey, I like this explaination better than the one about DD messing up!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
                        Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Comment

star trek joke sounds good to me

Comment

Nita's middle name is Louise. Carmela uses it against her in Wizards at War. I didn't catch the inconsistency in the manual entries, but it would be funny if it were a Star Trek joke. ^_^
                            ~*~
                            ...to have been this once, completely, even if only once: to have been at one with the earth, seems beyond undoing.
                            - Rainer Maria Rilke, The Ninth Elegy

Comment

Once Carmela got friendly with the remote she would've had access to any computer in the world. She could've found out anything she wanted about anyone she wanted. There's know telling how much she knew. Remember the Apple 3c the Callahan's got. It probably had no more than 256 mg ram. It wouldn't have stood a chance against a Pentium I so what chance does a records computer from the late 80's have against a wizard driven computer. She could have hacked any computer she wanted.

Comment

Working...
                              X