A Wizard's Name in the Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Wizard's Name in the Speech

I'm just wondering about how you'd name yourself in the Speech. How much information would be needed to identify you as a unique person with enough attributes so that the Universe would know you from, say, John Doe? If it were me, I'd probably arrange my information like this: [firstname][gender][date of birth][place of birth][personal identifier (hobby)][personal identifier (religion)][personal identifier (parent)]
    I am on errantry and I greet you. Dai!

I'm just wondering about how you'd name yourself in the Speech. How much information would be needed to identify you as a unique person with enough attributes so that the Universe would know you from, say, John Doe? If it were me, I'd probably arrange my information like this: [firstname][gender][date of birth][place of birth][personal identifier (hobby)][personal identifier (religion)][personal identifier (parent)]

Comment

hainterj. [echoic] an exclamation variously expressing wonder, surprise, anger, triumph, etc.: repeated (ha-han. the sound of this exclamation or of a laugh
      -Webster's New World Dictionary of the American Language, Second College Edition

Comment

[QUOTE]

Comment

Well, there's definitely a physical component in your names as well: in Book of Night With Moon, Rhiow mentions a time when an incorrect character in her Name would have resulted in a completely different, uhm, "look" for her. As Dave implied, Names in the Speech are, I think anyway, more of a detailed description than a name as in what you're called. More of an identification, maybe...

I think that, in general, people use a altered version of their name in coversation- like H'niit (???) (sp?) which is what S'reee calls Nita, and there are a couple of other examples in Dilemma, IIRC- altered according to equipment, I guess (like Pont! Nita can't say their name, so she calls them Pont)- and then only use your Name for talking. Except I guess your name must be a part of your Name...

Hmmm. I need to gte hold of Dilemma: I seem to remember that Nita is called something else...

Oh yeah: nice sig, Dave. (Sorry, off topic again...)

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
          --Agent M
          Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
          Still the Typo Queen
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I think that, in general, people use a altered version of their name in coversation

That brings up an interesting point. The Powers That Be maintain everyone's Manuals or provide specific information on a need to know basis. That leads me to believe that Kit could probably just write "Kit" in the Speech and the Universe would know it's him, or "Neets" for that matter. Sometimes, I go by Dave, other times David, and rarely "Davey". I wonder what the physical component would be. Perhaps our handwriting is another unique identifier.

I am on errantry and I greet you.

Dai!

[This message was edited by greycardigan on 15 February 2004 at 3:31.]

Comment

Working...
            X